FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Frank Miller To Write/Direct "The Spirit"!
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20060719/115331503300.html

Quote:

More than four decades after Will Eisner created him, "The Spirit" -- one of the most influential comics of all time -- is coming to the big screen.

The movie will be adapted and directed by Frank Miller ("Sin City"), who will be on hand for the public announcement Saturday at Comic-Con International in San Diego.

Unlike most comic book heroes, the Spirit (real name: Denny Colt) is not endowed with special powers or wealth. He is a regular guy who is thought to have been killed by an archvillain's experiments but instead returns to fight evil from his secret lair in a cemetery.

"He was out to save his neighborhood from corrupt politicians, corrupt cops, evil guys and to protect his neighbors because one guy can make a difference," said Michael Uslan, one of the project's producers.

Production is slated to begin in about a year. Miller already is working on a draft but must first finish "Sin City 2," said Deborah Del Prete, whose Odd Lot Entertainment banner will co-finance and produce "The Spirit."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Shocked

To use the saucy language, le Fucking Awesome!

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:47 am  Reply with quote

Wow, who knew hanging with a director made you qualified to be a film director. My friend Phil is an actor, so I guess I can start acting in films now.

Oh yeah... if it looks good enough, I'll see it. Spirit rules all.

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Walter Paisley
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:06 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, Miller's directing abilities are still a big question mark . . . but the script has a good chance of being kick-ass.

Comingsoon

That whole "scarier than people expect" bit both intrigues/kinda worries me, because for some reason my mind reads it as "more like The Shadow," who I would love to see get a good screen adaption . . . but ya know, in his own movie.

Last edited by Walter Paisley on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:08 am  Reply with quote

Walter Paisley wrote:
Yeah, Miller's directing abilities are still a big question mark . . . but the script has a good chance of being kick-ass.

Comingsoon

That whole "scarier than people expect" bit both intrigues me . . . and makes me wish that someone would also give THE SHADOW another go.

I agree.

I think "The Shadow" is a great movie, but I would like a darker more edgy tone.

Last edited by Terminal on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Walter Paisley
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:22 am  Reply with quote

I loved the fuck out of it when it came out, but I got a little bitter toward it when I did some back reading and realized how scary The Shadow could have been . . . maybe it needs a rewatch.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

Who knew wriing screenplays made you qualified to be a director? Oh wait. What does that even mean? Tarantino sold a script and made his film with nothing. Why does Frank Miller have to "qualify" for anything?
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Who knew wriing screenplays made you qualified to be a director? Oh wait. What does that even mean? Tarantino sold a script and made his film with nothing. Why does Frank Miller have to "qualify" for anything?

No, you're right. I crossed him off too prematurely. I am a fan of Miller's, I think most of what he's done is great. I'll be open minded about "The Spirit". Wink
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Well, Miller learned from QT on the set of Sin City, and he has a wonderful visual style from his years as an illustrator. At least it isn't Stephen Sommers.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Walter Paisley
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:27 pm  Reply with quote

In the end, the only thing I'm certain of is that he's gonna treat the character with respect, so I'm happy.