FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Running Scared
EvilRex
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:04 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1237
Location: ORLANDO

Still hate it.

It's a freaking cartoon trying to be taken a little too seriously.
_________________
Open your textbooks to the chapter concerning your death.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
GODHOOD
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:10 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 357
Location: Orlando, FL

I still love it. Maybe Paul Walker will get better roles for this performance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:49 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1237
Location: ORLANDO

Some people really like this flick. I can sort of see why with it having that Guy Ritchie (Snatch/Lock, Stock...) energy and gritty dark, neo-noir vibe. This flick should be totally up my alley, but I just hated everything about the script. It really screamed Sophmore of College/Beginner's Screenwriter Workshop to me. A guy who wrote this on a caffeine/THC rush after watching a Tarrantino and it's clones marathon.
_________________
Open your textbooks to the chapter concerning your death.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
GODHOOD
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:27 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 357
Location: Orlando, FL

I thought the dialog between the kid and the Russian guy was pretty good. "I want my 8MM back."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:09 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1237
Location: ORLANDO

GODHOOD wrote:
I thought the dialog between the kid and the Russian guy was pretty good. "I want my 8MM back."


But almost every line of dialogue for the wife was atrocious: "I never knew evil existed until I saw true evil today" or something along those lines. Ugh. I rolled my eyes so far up I got a good look at my cerebellum.

And I really hated the one mobster (the boss's son I guess) who just had to have "nigger" come out of his mouth every other word. I couldn't tell if he was trying to be cool and call everyone "nigga" (which is equally annoying and so fucking cliche') or if it really was his way of putting everyone down by calling them "niggers". That shit is so stale. It came across (to me) as trying to be "stylish" (I can't think of a better way to describe its usage here) and defining of character which is no-no rule #1 when developing characters. His character in the end became utterly annoying instead of somewhat threatening which was what he was supposed to be to our main character.
_________________
Open your textbooks to the chapter concerning your death.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:54 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 1642
Location: Standing at the foot of your bed

I know I'm a little late to this party, but UC & I finally got a chance to watch this one a few nights ago. I'm kind of in the middle with it -- sure, parts were totally unbelievable and annoying (like when the son put the gun in the toilet instead of just giving it to his dad) and Walker's acting skills ranged from quite good to cringe-inducing, but I loved the way it was filmed (very pre-Madonna Guy Ritchie in style as someone else mentioned) and its darkness. The whole kiddie porn segment came out of nowhere and I thoroughly enjoyed its resolution. So, I'd give it a thumb-sideways. Not the greatest thing I've seen, but it certainly is a refreshing take on a stale genre.
_________________
Can you feel the thirst?
I'll see you on the other side . . . Witchy Woman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
EvilRex
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:39 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1237
Location: ORLANDO

The Woman In Black wrote:
I know I'm a little late to this party, but UC & I finally got a chance to watch this one a few nights ago. I'm kind of in the middle with it -- sure, parts were totally unbelievable and annoying (like when the son put the gun in the toilet instead of just giving it to his dad) and Walker's acting skills ranged from quite good to cringe-inducing, but I loved the way it was filmed (very pre-Madonna Guy Ritchie in style as someone else mentioned) and its darkness. The whole kiddie porn segment came out of nowhere and I thoroughly enjoyed its resolution. So, I'd give it a thumb-sideways. Not the greatest thing I've seen, but it certainly is a refreshing take on a stale genre.


I must have really hated this flick, because everytime someone chimes in I still got something to say.

I did enjoy the style, I am a big fan of kinetic cinematography ala Guy Ritchie.

A lot of people really like to point out the "kiddie porn" segment as a highlight of the flick, where for me that very sequence sums up my huge problem with the flick. I can't look at that scene as anything more than purposely sticking in a quircky, disturbing scene just for the sake of being quircky and disturbing. It ultimately had no depth and purpose for the overall film as a whole.

That sequence could have been perfect, it had that element of real-life terror in our neighborhood vibe and the bright lighting and strong colors truly juxtaposed the rest of the mostly dark film, but it was rushed and thrown in without a thought or care of how to really make it mean something to the whole flick.
_________________
Open your textbooks to the chapter concerning your death.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:19 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 1642
Location: Standing at the foot of your bed

EvilRex wrote:
I must have really hated this flick, because everytime someone chimes in I still got something to say.


I totally know where you're coming from -- I'm the same way about Oldboy. Laughing

EvilRex wrote:
A lot of people really like to point out the "kiddie porn" segment as a highlight of the flick, where for me that very sequence sums up my huge problem with the flick. I can't look at that scene as anything more than purposely sticking in a quircky, disturbing scene just for the sake of being quircky and disturbing. It ultimately had no depth and purpose for the overall film as a whole.

I wouldn't exactly call it a highlight (more like just another in a series of "wtf" moments), but I did like that it gave Farmiga something to do instead of just being the typical "wife". It was nice to see Chazz getting some work too -- even though I thought he was going to be more of a major player than he turned out to be.
_________________
Can you feel the thirst?
I'll see you on the other side . . . Witchy Woman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Messiahman
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:58 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 3019
Location: Hollywood

The Woman In Black wrote:
I totally know where you're coming from -- I'm the same way about Oldboy. :lol


That's okay, though, WIB. We still love you in spite of your insanity. Wink
_________________
"According to witnesses, testimony and evidence...this massacre was the work of ninjas!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Dread Central Forum Index -> Out of Genre Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum