FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Comics Comics Comics!
conundrum
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:42 am  Reply with quote

So who here is into the funnybooks? I know there are definitely a few people on here, and there was a hugely successful comics thread on a certain other board many of us previously frequented. I know there is a horror comic thread in "Best-Cellars", but since "Walking Dead" only seems to publish every second leap month that manages to have a blue moon (okay, slightly more frequently than that) I decided that we should have a place to discuss them. Well, aside from the other threads that we kind of derailed into general comics thread.

Anyway, I will start out by saying that I am a dyed in the wool Marvel fan. I will go to other publishers when the material is good ("Walking Dead ", "Hellboy", "40 Days of Night"... see a trend?). Anyway, I have dipped into many of their titles from my old favs like Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Ghost Rider, as well as browsing some stuff that is new to me like New Avengers, Moon Night, and Thunderbolts.

As far as I am concerned, here are the standouts.

Not to be overly negative, but these are my disappointments. Thunderbolts #101 (I grabbed it just to check it out as part of Civil War) was dull. REALLY dull. And in Amazing Spider-Man and New Avengers, I would expect better art. That is about it.

Story. Okay so far nothing has the entire Civil War beat for me. Love it. And the linch pin for the story? Spider-Man. His story is great and he has had the most human side of the entire situation. Amazing and Sensational are both great reads, however I am not loving Amazing's artwork. Fantastic Four has some potential as the Civil War seems to be on the verge of tearing apart Marvel's first family. And Ultimate Fantastic Four with its horror overtones and cool art is also a great read.

But the cream of Marvel's crop in my opinion only has had only one of its flagships. The newest issue of Sensational Spider-Man had a great story and some very nice art to boost. The Civil War books have kept good stories while maintaining high-quality art. It is probably the weakest of the books I will list, but still very good. Moon Knight is one hell of a stand out, with incredible art (probably my second favorite of the stuff I am trying to follow) and an intriguing story. A hero who lost it all trying to get it back. Also of note is Eternals, which is currently only one issue (number two comes out this week) but shows definite promise and looks purty too. Finally, the individual comic that might have me more intrigued than any other since Walking Dead, the new run of Ghost Rider. The first issue was amazing, with one of the most ominous endings I have seen in any comic (probably the best ending I can remember since Thunderbolts #1, but then again I have been out of the game for a while) and probably my favorite art of any Marvel book I have picked up so far (Superman/Batman #26 blew me away in many ways, but that is arguably a stacked comic and cannot truly be taken as indicative of the series as a whole). Anyway, Ghost Rider is amazing and I would tell anyone who could only follow one series to follow this restart.

Well I typed a mouthful. Hope someone else will make a contribution!
EvilRex
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

I'll play.

While I, too, was raised in Marvel, I'm getting more out of the DC titles as of lately. I'm reading, but not yet digging, the Civil War titles. I just haven't been grabbed by the story yet. It's a good direction, it's very prevelant to current times, but still doesn't have me.

My favorite MArvel titles now are Astonishing XMen, Wolverine:Origins, Squadron Supreme (even though I liked Supreme Power more) and Punisher. I probably don't have to explain why I like those.

However, I'm really getting into the 52 Weeks series over in DC land. I decided to look into DC when Identity Crisis came out a couple years back. Of course, I was familiar with all these characters, but I rarely, if ever, followed their series. That story was great and presented these DC characters in a whole new light I never knew existed. I then got into Infinite Crisis and all the little spin-offs (Villians United being my favorite). Now I'm reading 52 Weeks, Checkmate, All-Star Superman, Sinister Six, looking forward to the new Creeper series, and will give the re-launching of Wonder Woman and Flash a try.

I've been checking out the Walking Dead TPB's and those are cool.

And for the record: Black Adam is one bad motherfucker.
lostphrack
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:47 am  Reply with quote

I used to love Marvel and DC to death, but ever since high school I've found myself drifting away from their stuff.

I do like some of Marvel's older titles and their collections though. I'm slowly picking up all of the Essential Tomb of Dracula collections, which is kind of fun. There's alot about it I don't like, but it's got a strange energy to it that I enjoy, also Gene Colan's art looks fantastic in black and white. The current Marvel books I'm picking up are Nextwave, The Eternals and Beyond!

Elsewhere I'm currently loving the hell out of DMZ from Vertigo. Picking up several books from Udon including Street Fighter II and Rival Schools. Tempted to grab their Darkstalker collection and Onimusha manga at some point. Looking forward to checking out Wasteland from Oni, because I love me some post apocolypse fiction, and Antony Johnston stuff in general.

I'm also finding that I spend more money on manga now than before. I'm grabbing Blade of the Immortal as a monthly from Darkhose, which is probably my favorite book being published at the moment.

Lot's of other random "when I have the money" books too. Stuff like the Hellboy collections, Transmet collections, etc.

Oh, speaking of comics and horror.. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere on the site yet, but it looks like Avatar's lost the New Line license to DC. Apparently DC will be publishing them through Wildstorm come this Oct/Nov.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
conundrum
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:39 am  Reply with quote

Finally picked up the new Walking Dead. Good stuff as always. Not much really happened though, but it was all stuff they more or less had to go through for the current arc.

Zombies! 2 had me a bit more interested in all honesty, as they did something that I really did not see coming with a certain character I was fairly sure would be the "Rick" of this series.

Bigger surprise at the end of Civil War 3. It was something I knew would eventually come, but I did not expect it so soon. I felt kind of like an idiot since they dropped big hints earlier on. I really cannot say more without ruining it.

Finally, Eternals 2. I am loving this series and cannot wait for the next issue. Great art, great story, Ghost Rider is the pretty much the only series for which I am more excited. The entire Civil War arc notwithstanding.
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Cival War is great so far. I'm loving Front Lines. It's great to see that even a goofy hero like Speedball has such grit and balls. I just hope nothing even worse happens to little Robbie Baldwin. I love that character.

I'm enjoying the Annihilation story, as well.

...and Ghostrider was good. Thumbs Up
Master Bates
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:09 am  Reply with quote

Love Marvel. Like DC.

Civil War has been GREAT so far, while I dropped 52 after week 5. It just sucked.

Marvel is really kicking ass right now.

Although I have high hopes for Detective Comics as Paul Dini's first issue was amazing.

Walking Dead is currently(and has been for the last 2 years) my FAVORITE comic being published today. Grim, well told story, excellent art, and it's not afraid to take chances.
conundrum
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:28 am  Reply with quote

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
...and Ghostrider was good. Thumbs Up

Word.

Has anyone picked up The Exterminators? I grabbed the first three issues the other day and it is pretty cool so far. To a certain degree it really reminds me of the old EC comics, except that the books are not one shots. Really awesome, I am hoping to pick up the next 4 issues off of e-bay.
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:14 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Love me Spiderman.

LOVE ME SPIDERMAN.

Yeah..big fan.

And I fucking dig the hell out of the Civil War series.

Also a big Dark Horse fan (AVP anyone?)

As well as some of the great cross overs with them and DC (Batman VS Predator)

I like batman alot..but only because I love the Joker. Such a great character.

And of course, Preacher and Walking Dead. Two of the best comics ever.
Jack19
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:30 pm  Reply with quote

About the only comic I read is Hellboy. I'd like to get into others, but it seems like everything is already in the middle of a story, and I'd prefer to start at the begining. I do have some TPB's of like Dark Knight Returns and some stuff like that. Oh, and The Goon is pretty awesome.
conundrum
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:12 pm  Reply with quote

Jack19 wrote:
About the only comic I read is Hellboy. I'd like to get into others, but it seems like everything is already in the middle of a story, and I'd prefer to start at the begining. I do have some TPB's of like Dark Knight Returns and some stuff like that. Oh, and The Goon is pretty awesome.

I swear to god, get the new run of Ghost Rider! It just started up and it is shaping up well from what I have heard about the story. And if you have not started Walking Dead, you can pick up the first four paperbacks which cover the first 24 issues, or the new hardback which covers the same. Great stuff.
Jack19
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:26 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds very cool. I'll head over to the comic shops tommorow (for some reason KC's only comic shops are located right across the street from each other) and take a look at Ghost Rider. Thanks for the tip.
FleshyHeadedMutant
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

Jack19 , you could also jump on the new Moon Knight series , they are only four issues into it .

Here is my current monthly "pull-list" :

Cable & Deadpool
Case Files: Sam & Twitch
Wolverine: Origins
Civil War
Moon Knight
Deadworld
Zombies

I picked up the first new Ghost Rider , & will probably add it to the list too .

I wait for the Walking Dead TPBs , instead of buying the monthly books .

I have every Preacher , Sin City , & The Spectre ( Ostranders run ) book as well .
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

I currently buy a few Vertigo books. Fables, 100 Bullets and occasionally something else. The Walking Dead is probably the only Image I'm buying right now. I occasionally pick up something from the DCU (though that's rare) and some stuff from Dark Horse, IDW or any of the smaller companies, like Cal MacDonald books, 20 Days of Night, whatever. And I buy Marvel. Pretty much all of it, excluding reprints. I am a Marvel zombie through and through.
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:36 pm  Reply with quote

I'll pick up anything Grant Morrison writes... I also enjoy (when they come/came out) Eightball, Black Hole, Evil Eye (<-- Evil Eye kicks total ass, labrynthian plots, Gorey/Adams type art) www.richardsala.com...

I am also enjoying the comic book adaptation of The Great And Secret Show
conundrum
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

So I caved in to peer pressuse and have been reading through the graphic novels of "Sandman" and "Preacher." Up to the third book for each of them and I have to say that they are both quite good. One moreso than the other.

Do not get me wrong, I am really enjoying "Preacher", but next to "Sandman" it really flounders. After the first volumes I may have gone with "Preacher", but once "Sandman" got away from throwing in other characters from the DC universe it was just in a league of its own. The only other comics I can think of that I like this much are "Amazing Spider-Man" and "Walking Dead."

If "Sandman" keeps it up it is probably the best comic I have read.