FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Radio 666 -> The Misfits megathread...
HORRORHOLIC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

Although it wasn't the same as with Danzig I loved the Graves stuff too, songs and videos like Dig Up Her Bones,Scream etc... kicked ass, I just think they should have changed the bands name

- ALICE COOPER
the_night_of_mind
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

I own every Misfits cd produced. (including jerry only's stuff.)
I also have a bunch of danzig cd's, which in my opinion is much much better than the misfits. they include Danzig self titled, Lucifuge, How the Gods Kill, Demonsweatlive and Danzig 4. Rock!
the_night_of_mind
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

horrorgirl wrote:
I have heard a lot of stories about how Jerry is an asshole, and how he has told people that he is in it just for the cash. It sure seems that way, especially since he is continuing to try to STILL make money off of the name.

when I met Jerry Only he was really nice to me. and he was with crew members, who he apparently,(maybe since I was standing right there) was very nice to. he came off as being really honest and even, humble. I dont know, it's probably alot different with people he really knows though. I mean, what complete moron tells Glenn Danzig to fuck off? And then piss him off so bad that he never wants to talk to you again? It's obvious that it's jerry's fault, especially since Danzig invited jerry's brother doyle to play on tour with them. It seems really stupid. Neutral
the_night_of_mind
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm  Reply with quote

Tony Saint wrote:
Remember when Doyle and Jerry were WCW jobbers?

ECW! ECW! ECW!

yeah I can remember that.
the_night_of_mind
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

ok, so I got into it and found this clip. I laughed. I cried.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKYEh9zdIWs
horrorgirl
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

Why did you have to post that wrestling crap? My eyes are now bleeding....
moogy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

yea the wrestling stint pretty much made my skin crawl. whats so punk about wrestling? i always thought wrestling was anti-punk. It's more of a hip hop vs metal thing.

http://www.myspace.com/8729307
Finnegan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:17 am  Reply with quote

The Misfits are one of my favorite bands, but only while Glenn Danzig was with them. Really, he was the embodiment of the band and when he left the entire ideal behind the band just disappeared.
bart138
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

I love the Misfits, but nowadays I usually find myself putting on a Samhain cd when I'm in the mood for Danig's stuff.
Snakeeyes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:12 am  Reply with quote

DANZIG recently shot a video for the song "Crawl across Your Killing Floor" outside of Los Angeles. The track will be included on the upcoming "Lost Tracks of Danzig" collection, a two-CD set of previously unreleased DANZIG tracks spaning the band's entire career from the 1988 self-titled debut to the present. A November release is expected.

Glenn Danzig's long-awaited "Black Aria II" CD, the follow-up to the original "Black Aria" (1993), will be available in stores on September 19, 2006. The album, the material for which has apparently been written for five years, is a classical, operatic piece based on Lilith, the mythological first wife of Adam, according to Danzig. "It's different from the first record but similar in a lot of ways," he said.

DANZIG, the band, will be embarking on its first tour of Australia since 1993 in early September. Glenn is also in the process of shooting his first feature film, "Gerouge", which he has written and will direct. "Gerouge" is based on one of the comic book titles distributed by his Verotik publishing company, and concerns turn-of-the-century New Orleans voodoo.
Snakeeyes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:41 am  Reply with quote

more from EmptyV:

During the recording of 1994's Danzig 4, Glenn Danzig and the record's producer, Rick Rubin, were paid a visit by one of the higher-ups at Def American, the label Rubin launched after leaving Def Jam in 1988. A company vice president had one simple request for the former Misfits frontman.

"He's like, 'You guys, don't do a Satanic record, OK?,' " Danzig recalled. "We just looked at each other, and we were laughing. So Rick said, 'You have to write a song and make it the most Satanic song in the world.' "

And Glenn abided. The end result was "Satan's Crucifixion Points to Hell," a track that started off as a means to stick it to the man, but one that Danzig would fall in love with over the years. It's a song that was never released, but will be available on The Lost Tracks of Danzig, a veritable goldmine of Danzig leftovers compiled in a two-CD set with a hardcover booklet featuring the musings of Glenn. An official release date has yet to be firmed up, but the set is expected later this year or early 2007.

"The song started out as a song to just drive this guy crazy," Danzig said of "Satan's Crucifixion," laughing for a second. "We sent it to him, and he said, 'This is crazy. They're destroying this record it's totally Satanic. And you want this to be the first single?' So while it started as a joke song, it's become a really good song."

Lost collects a total of 26 tracks, including a number of covers everything from David Bowie's "Cat People" to T. Rex's "Buick MacKane" and the Germs' "Caught in My Eye." All of the original songs were written and most recorded in bits and pieces between 1988's Danzig and 2004's Circle of Snakes (see "Glenn Danzig Preps 'Final' Tour, Film, Box Set And, Uh, Dolls"). Danzig did have to do some additional work on the tracks to make them just right.

"A perfect example is 'Come to Silver' [from 1996's Blackacidevil], a song I wrote for Johnny Cash that I never gave to him," Danzig said. "I showed it to him but I never gave it to him because I left [Cash's label, American Recordings]. But this one's an acoustic version, and I recorded it a while ago. When we went back in to mix it, the vocals had been wiped by the old engineer. I don't know what the reasoning was, but he did. So I had to re-sing the whole song. It's kind of a shock when you're all ready to mix and you ask, 'Where are the vocals?' "

Of the other songs resurrected for the effort, Danzig prefers "Lady Lucifera," "Warlock" and the bluesy leadoff single, "Crawl Across Your Killing Floor." Danzig shot a black-and-white video for that track last month, and describes it as "a takeoff" on the opening of 1966 spaghetti Western "Django."

"So I'm walking into town," he explained. "I have the long leather Western coat, with the shoulder things. I'm dragging this coffin behind me, and I open it up, and it's filled with all these old photos and I just start burning them pictures of Muddy Waters, Johnny Cash, Sharon Tate, Charles Manson. I even burn a photo of Rick. I put it in an urn ... and it just goes on from there."

Glenn said he intends to start writing material for a proper Danzig release in early 2007. But the man has a ton on his plate. Although he said last year that he didn't want to tour anymore, he'll be reviving his Blackest of the Black Tour this winter for a two-week West Coast run. So far, just Scandinavian black metallers Marduk have been confirmed for the bill. The trek's start date hasn't been determined.

There's also the 3 Faces of Danzig limited-edition action figures he's released. They retail for $75, and highlight the different eras of Glenn's career with a Misfits-era version, a Samhain version, and one representing Danzig in his current form. But there are two more dolls on the way which will be released on Halloween: a second Samhain toy, and a Misfits figurine which shows Glenn with the band's trademark skull logo painted over his face. Both of the toys will be glow-in-the-dark capable, and if you have to have one, grab it fast: Danzig said the manufacturer is releasing a limited run of just 666.

And then there's the October 17 release of the oft-delayed Black Aria II, the sequel to Danzig's 1993 classical album Black Aria.

"I've had it written forever, and just never had the time to sit down and record it," he said. "You have to really get into it. It's more of a classical, soundtrack-y type thing, so you have to listen back to it all, lay all the parts in and make sure they fit. I just never had the time to sit down and do it, and I made the time recently to do it. It's cool to see it's finally going to be released, because the Black Aria stuff was always a labor of love. I put out the first one, did no promotion, no advertising. I just put it out. I did it for the fans. I didn't know it would sell as much as it did. It's probably one if the biggest Danzig sellers."

And what about the recent homages that have been paid to the singer the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Anthony Kiedis dressed up as Danzig for the band's "Dani California" clip and a picture of him will appear in Audioslave's "Original Fire" video? In typical Glenn fashion, he's indifferent about it all.

"I just don't care," he said.
Cropsy86
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:17 am  Reply with quote

I like the Danzig and Graves era Misfits.....but I prefer Danzig.

Graves era is great too. I really like the Famous Monsters album. I like that one alot better than American Psycho.

Some of my favorite Misfits songs:

Die, Die My Darling
Horror Hotel
Astro Zombies
Bullet
Crawling Eye
Halloween
The Forbidden Zone
Dig Up Her Bones
20 Eyes

Just to name a few