FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Shiver Shack -> Uziga Waita's Rain for the Dead
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:06 am  Reply with quote

On November 1st 2011, Japanese manga artist Uziga Waita 氏賀Y太 announced on his blog that his manga short story Ame-Agari no Kimi 雨上がりの君(仮) ("Rain For The Dead" is the official English title but a literal translation would be "You After the Rain") will be getting a live-action adaptation.

Uziga will be executive producer for the film, and Bishop Koyama will be both writing and directing. Zerai Naoi will be the special make-up artist. Should I know these guys? Have the done anything before this?

Source 1: http://uziga.blog120.fc2.com/blog-entry-87.html
Source 2: http://www.critiques4geeks.com/2011/11/03/movies-waita-uzigas-rain-for-the-dead-manga-gets-live-action-film/

It's been a few years since I read the story in question in one of his collections but from what i recall it concerns a young man who survived a zombie outbreak and is now trapped in his apartment. He can only go outside when it rains because the rain cloaks his body odour! He also happens to have his zombiefied girlfried chained up in his apartment and feeds her flesh because he still loves her.

I have serious doubts they can turn a short story like this into a feature length (or even a 60-70 minute) film. Would have preferred something like DEATH PANDA (my favorite Uziga work), MAI-CHAN (in the wake of A SERBIAN FILM, why not show everybody who's boss?!) or MATERIAL (the human toilet story) getting filmed but maybe this is a first step in that directon and I'm sure budgetary concerns as well as the current love for zombies all played a role in the decision to pick this story.

With all the crazy-ass films coming out of Japan I have wondered for the longest time why the filmmakers don't turn to guro manga for material to film much more often. Apart from Uziga there'd also be countless books by Shintaro Kago, Suehiro Maruo, Kazuichi Hanawa, Jun Hayami, Horihone Saizou, Henmaru Machino (I thought Noboru Iguchi's HYPERTROPHY GENITALS GIRL was very much in the... spirit of Machino's manga work) and many others to pick from...
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

A first teaser trailer for the film has appeared on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Rs5ou5-FmJo

Some cast members are named in the teaser but I can't decipher the kanji sufficiently. I doubt they are well known actors.