FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Grave Sites -> Value and rarity of 1926 $20 St. Gaudens Double Eagle gold c
rpoint2012
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:14 am  Reply with quote

My wife's grandfather gave us a golden coin as a wedding gift a couple of years back. The wedding was in Poland and the story is that the grandfather bought the coin years ago under communism through the black market as an investment. I know nothing about coins but through a little research on the web, think I may have something of significant value. From what I can tell, it is a 1926 $20 Saint Gaudens Double Eagle. Please excuse my ignorance but I will try my best to describe it. It is a very shiney golden and heavy. It has no blemishes or tarnishes that I can see. If you were to look at it with a very scrupulous eye, I guess it has some minor scratches on the flat surfaces but I don't know if they would be considered scratches or not, but its definitely in great to exceptional condition. I'm just wondering the rarity and value of this coin. I wouldn't consider selling it, and would love to have a family heirloom on my hands. Additionally, how should I store it? I just have it wrapped in a paper towel right now, inside a jewellery box. Any information would be appreciated.
$20 gold coins