FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Shiver Shack -> Chain Letter
Count Zartro
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:55 am  Reply with quote

Did anyone else see this?

Last year, I went to a second run theatre and caught a movie I knew nothing about in advance, called Blood Creek. I enjoyed Blood Creek, I had no idea what I was walking into, and i can say it was a story I had not seen told yet, which was fun for me.

I went in to Chain Letter with similar blindness. I knew nothing about the film in advance, had not seen a trailer or even heard of the film unitl seeing it listed on Fandango and playing at my local AMC.

Chain Letter had some great gore and kills in it, and an interesting concept to a degree, but I thought over all the film lacked in certain areas.

Mostly for me the film seemed to have trouble maintaining focus, and the plot was spotty at best. The parents were only around when it served the story, you have kids getting picked off, and they discover that it's due to a chain letter sent to them via email or text, and still you have characters alone in houses at night, who know they are a target. Also in addition to sending chain letters, the killer kills with, you guessed it, chains.

It had some promise, and I think the director, as he gets more seasoned, will polish his skills, but this one was a miss for me.

I think Keith David and Brad Douriff did a great job, and the actors playing the teens did pretty solid too, but the plot was too jumpy. And there was a cameo by the guy who did the voice of Roger Rabbit, I got a kick out of that.

I can't say I agree with the 3 1/2 knife review here on DC, for me this one would have been a 2 at most, although I would agree wth the reviewer that the director has a passion for the genre. I will say it was a nice change of pace to see a hard R movie as opposed to all the PG-13 stuff we have been dealing with the past few years.

For gorehounds who love violent kills though, this one is for you, otherwise you could wait until dvd to check it out or just skip it.
theGoldenSimatar
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:38 am  Reply with quote

We had it at my theater, but cause it had no press no one knew about it. We got rid of it this week. Sold about thirty tickets the whole time it was here.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 am  Reply with quote

I keep forgetting this movie exists. They really didn't market this that well.

I think it also just got kind of overshadowed by everything else.
CryptWalker
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:53 pm  Reply with quote

The DVD came out today. I'm gonna pick up a copy in time for Valentine's Day. Wink

Keith David is a phenomenal actor and the gore did not disappoint.

"We have such sights to show you."
-Hellraiser
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

I thought it absolutely sucked. It was like The Collector decided chains were really cool and borrowed some off Pinhead.

I'm surprised people on here thought the acting was "good". I really felt as if EVERYONE phoned it in from the start. And as bad as the acting was, the dialogue was even worse. I found myself laughing several times at the cheesy exchanges from the paper thin characters. Really really bad.

All the characters were your stereotypical horror stock. The jock, the black guy, the slut, the good girl. Blah blah fucking blah. Let's talk about the slut for a second. She's obviously not poor, she doesn't live in a cardboard house, yet the killer manages to SMASH through the wall behind her for a cheap jump scare. Really? And when he kills her, you can SEE HER spitting the fake blood out of her mouth after she's dead. Go ahead, rewatch it. And what happens the next night? The sister is dead, the wall is smashed, killer on the loose, and yet the kid stays home alone when he know's he next. Yep, uh huh. He gets the ole hook chain dropped from the roof and it somehow impales him?

Let's not forget about the CGI fire kill, the heavy handed social commentary about technology, the lame "twist" of it being a cult, the chain links having a fucking bar code on them?, the killer lugging these 100's of pounds of chains everywhere and no one notices, the fact it's ONE guy killing people who get a chain email/text in 24 hours...

Hey let's do the math. If the chain letter on Friday is sent to, let's say 20 people, 10 of them forward to (has to be at least 4) 40 more people, another half of them forward it to 80 newbies on Saturday, then 10 of those people pass it on to another 40 who don't do anything with it....then the killer must track and kill 140 kids in ONE WEEKEND with his chains and not be caught. Yep....I can see that happening....
Matthewop
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:24 am  Reply with quote

i think you are right on this point!

http://www.collectcheaps.com
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Why didn't this movie have a third act? It just kind of... stopped.
derrickcoc
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:11 am  Reply with quote

I am really scared when I open a chain letter. So i send it on, but people get angry at me.
Radialabs