FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Oscar Predictions
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:28 pm  Reply with quote

Since this has been brought up in the Toy Story 3 thread... What are your predictions and/or who do you think deserves it?

My pick for best picture is The Social Network. It seems to be the one that has gotten the most buzz, and out of the nominees that I've seen (Black Swan, The Fighter, The Social Network, True Grit, Inception, Toy Story 3) it was one of my favorites, with Black Swan. Though we all know Black Swan's not going to win, since it's kind of a genre film.

Not sure on Actor in a Lead role. Colin Firth seems to be the favorite, but I haven't seen The King's Speech so it's hard to say. Of what I've seen, I'd say Eisenberg for The Social Network.

Christian Bale all the way for Actor in a Supporting Role. He stole the show in the fighter and gave the best performance of his life. He OWNED that role.

Natalie Portman for Actress in a Lead Role. Much like Bale, she owned the role and put out the best performance of her career.

Not sure on Actress in a Supporting Role. If it's either of the two from The Fighter that were nominated, it'll be Melissa Leo. I'd like to see Melissa Steinfeld win this one, though I don't think she will.
The Buz
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:11 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Ha! I was totally going to start this thread too based off our Toy Story 3 discussion.

For me the ones I KNOW are going to win are

Social Network for Cinematography and Score
Toy Story 3 for Animated movie
Kings Speech for Costume

I know weird, but I'm putting money on that.

Portman i think is definitely going to take actress, even though I have yet to see Black Swan.

I will say this about this years Oscars is that there really isn't a whole lot of "Oscar Bait" type films.

Like no grand Sean Penn civil rights film starring Tim Robbins or Susan Surrandon. No Clint Eastwood period piece starring Matt Damon. Shit like that.

Most of the movies up for Best Picture are actually films I enjoyed watching and not just "Oh this has something to say..but I'll never watch it again."

I could watch Social Network quite a few more times and not get bored. Same with Toy Story 3 and True Grit.

I still am kind of baffled on Inception being nominated for anything but visual effects. Seriously Leo Dicaprio and Ellen Page are so fucking cold and empty in the film that it was hard to care at all what was going on unless Joseph Gordon Levitt was on screen.

Oh and best supporting actress should go to the girl from True Grit. She was awesome!
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:58 am  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
I still am kind of baffled on Inception being nominated for anything but visual effects. Seriously Leo Dicaprio and Ellen Page are so fucking cold and empty in the film that it was hard to care at all what was going on unless Joseph Gordon Levitt was on screen.

I liked it more than you did apparently lol. I really liked Dicaprio and Page's performances, though I generally like them. Page is a great actress, even if she's in a couple of movies I can't stand (Juno, Hard Candy). Inception was well-directed and well-written, had great action set pieces, and was a very character-driven movie, which is a nice change of pace in a summer blockbuster. It was good, and I can see why it was nominated.

That being said, it's incredibly overrated. People make it out to be so complicated, when it's not. It's really easy to understand the first time around. I find it BAFFLING that people constantly misinterpret the ending, getting hung up on whether or not he's still in a dream and missing the point entirely. At the end of the day, it's a good action movie, but that's it. It's nothing profound, it's just a really well-made action movie, and for that genre, it's also a really smart movie. It doesn't deserve best picture, though.

I also dug Tom Hardy in the movie, and I'm really excited to see him play fucking BANE!!!

The Buz wrote:
Oh and best supporting actress should go to the girl from True Grit. She was awesome!

Yeah, that's Hailee Steinfeld (fucked up her name in the first post for some reason lol). I'd like to see her win, but I have a feeling that she won't.
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:30 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I love Dicaprio. I think he is an insanely talented actor. Page I like in Hard Candy. But she's been playing that character ever since (minus the homocidal tendencies).

I just thought they were both very miscast in Inception. Though Pages character was just under written. I'd chalk that up to my long standing theory that Christopher Nolan hates women.

Yes. I can prove this.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:52 am  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
Page I like in Hard Candy. But she's been playing that character ever since (minus the homocidal tendencies).

She was good in Hard Candy. I just thought the movie itself was a pile of crap. I liked her in Whip It (don't judge me!).

The Buz wrote:
I just thought they were both very miscast in Inception. Though Pages character was just under written. I'd chalk that up to my long standing theory that Christopher Nolan hates women.

Yes. I can prove this.

I just don't see it
The Buz
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:19 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

nonserviam03 wrote:
The Buz wrote:
Page I like in Hard Candy. But she's been playing that character ever since (minus the homocidal tendencies).

She was good in Hard Candy. I just thought the movie itself was a pile of crap. I liked her in Whip It (don't judge me!).

The Buz wrote:

Yes. I can prove this.

I just don't see it

Page being underwritten or Nolan hating women?

(P.S. I adore Nolan and think he is insanely talented. I just think that his female characters are either used as bad guys, are murdered, or are under written.)
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:55 am  Reply with quote

Both, and also the part about DiCaprio being miscast. I thought he was perfect in the role.
The Buz
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:50 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

DiCaprio miscasting is more opinion than anything. I just felt like any body could have done that role. Leo brought nothing new or special to it that really wowed me and made me go "OMG NO ONE COULD HAVE DONE WHAT HE DID IN THAT MOVIE!" And I just thought the character was bland, over all.

And Nolan hates women:

Do we even see Gordon's daughter in The Dark Knight? She's there...but can anyone get me a screen grab of her face? Exactly.

Who's Gordon's favorite kid? His son.

Rachel Dawes is only in Batman Begins to prove that Bruce Wayne is heterosexual. And to give him a reason to move the plot forward.

In Dark Knight, she is purely there (though I will say much better portrayed by Maggie Gylenhall than Katie Holmes) to die and create angst for the hero (and tragically the villain.)

I'm literally going to stop here because as I was writing this reply I stumbled upon this: http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/49821542.html Laughing

I shall let someone else make my point. Though now I am surprised (and my internet ego slightly damaged) that i'm not the only one that made this connection.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:22 am  Reply with quote

Ehh I can see it, but I really doubt it's a conscious decision.

And I'd argue that Dawes had way more of a role in Batman Begins than to make Bruce Wayne look straight lol. She DID take down the Scarecrow at the end, even if it was in a super anti-climactic way.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:28 am  Reply with quote

Alright, I've finally seen The Social Network. While it was far better than I thought it would be, it's still not Best Picture material. Aaron Sorkin deserves the Best Screenplay award though.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

After finally seeing 127 Hours... I kind of wish Franco had gotten Best Lead Actor, even if he WAS high when he was hosting.