FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Toy Story 3
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

So is it just me or is this movie actually about the holocaust?
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:53 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

No, it's more so a prison movie set within a pre school.

Though I can see where you'd draw that conclusion.

I will say that this movie deserves to get the best picture.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:00 am  Reply with quote

Look at it this way...

The opening scene, the toys discuss whether they will be thrown out of set aside. They say things like "Oh, they wouldn't just get rid of us, we can still be useful, sure we've lost friends but that won't happen to us." This mimics a scene from the Pianist pretty closely.

Not to mention, they want sanctuary by hiding IN AN ATTIC.

Then, they go to this pre-school, where they are essentially, "put to work." They are put in the caterpillar room to deal with the younger kids. If they are too weak to work (get broken), they get thrown out (which as we see, leads to an incinerator).

And then yeah, the incinerator.

I don't know if it really deserves best picture. I liked it, but I think I liked Black Swan and The Social Network more. My money is on The Social Network to win.

I kind of don't like that it was nominated for Best Picture. It feels like a slap in the face to the other nominees in the Animated Films category, since now it's obviously, no questions asked, GOING to win that one.
The Buz
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:46 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

nonserviam03 wrote:
Look at it this way...

The opening scene, the toys discuss whether they will be thrown out of set aside. They say things like "Oh, they wouldn't just get rid of us, we can still be useful, sure we've lost friends but that won't happen to us." This mimics a scene from the Pianist pretty closely.

Not to mention, they want sanctuary by hiding IN AN ATTIC.

Then, they go to this pre-school, where they are essentially, "put to work." They are put in the caterpillar room to deal with the younger kids. If they are too weak to work (get broken), they get thrown out (which as we see, leads to an incinerator).

And then yeah, the incinerator.

I don't know if it really deserves best picture. I liked it, but I think I liked Black Swan and The Social Network more. My money is on The Social Network to win.

I kind of don't like that it was nominated for Best Picture. It feels like a slap in the face to the other nominees in the Animated Films category, since now it's obviously, no questions asked, GOING to win that one.

Yeah I also thought that. Either nominate it for one nor none at all.

And I see your comparisons, but I just never drew those conclusions. It much more felt like The Great Escape. Like everything about it was Great Escape. All they were missing was The Cooler King and a baseball.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

Inception deserves best picture. I love Fincher as much as the next guy, but it's still just a movie about fucking Facebook. Creativity trumps everything else in my view.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:16 pm  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
Inception deserves best picture. I love Fincher as much as the next guy, but it's still just a movie about fucking Facebook. Creativity trumps everything else in my view.

If you think it's a movie about facebook then you missed the point.
The Buz
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:20 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

[quote="nonserviam03"]
LSD Zombie wrote:

If you think it's a movie about facebook then you missed the point.[/quote

Oh boy did he ever.

Social Network is one of the most outstanding films to come out in recent years. Completely deserves Best Picture if it wins.

And if you want to play the "Lets simplify plots!" game....Inception is fucking Oceans 11 in a brain. Except without the charisma of George Clooney.

I liked Inception...but...jesus christ it wasn't THAT GOOD. No way does it deserve Best Picture. And it wont get it. It's in there because the academy wants to look cool. It's going to be between Kings Speech and Social Network. And both of those movies are indeed incredible.

I'd say this Oscars actually has a fairly impressive resume of people up for awards. I may just watch this year.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

Okay, so it's about a pompous dick who screws over his so-called friends in order to cash in on a grand business idea. If I'm wrong yet again, please enlighten me.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:24 pm  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
Okay, so it's about a pompous dick who screws over his so-called friends in order to cash in on a grand business idea. If I'm wrong yet again, please enlighten me.

Ok... but it's also well-acted, well-directed, extremely well-written, has an incredibly unique score, has amazing character development with complex and realistic characters, and manages to carry an entire story where the only likable character isn't the lead.

You can boil ANY movie down to a one sentence summary and make it sound stupid.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:35 pm  Reply with quote

I never said the premise was stupid. I simply don't think the subject matter is all that fascinating, no matter how well-written.
The Buz
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:03 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

LSD Zombie wrote:

Are you talking about Citizen Kane or Social Network?