FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> The Walking Dead
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:48 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Ultimo Franco wrote:
Whether or not Merle becomes the actual Governor or just ends up working for him, it's gonna come down to a hand-for-a-hand situation, for sure.

Exactly.

For television audiences, it's going to be one of the most shocking things ever.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

In all likelihood, it's not going to happen in the same way. Kirkman has already been talking about how logistically difficult it would be to have the main actor missing a hand for the bulk of the series, how using an arm-lengthening prosthetic and/or digital erasing in almost every scene would be cost-prohibitive. And he's been quoted as saying that the show is its own distinct animal, an adaptation that isn't at all a slave to its source material.

They've already diverged wildly at times from the comic (especially with the CDC thing) that I'll make a solid wager that the hand chop, while threatened, doesn't actually occur. If someone loses a hand, it'll likely be T-Dog and not Rick.
Billz
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
And he's been quoted as saying that the show is its own distinct animal, an adaptation that isn't at all a slave to its source material.

I'm okay with that as long as we only see the world through Rick's eyes. When you cut away to the CDC and start giving answers to epidemic, it exposes the wizard behind the curtain.

That's what I like about the comic. Not knowing. Salvation could be right around the corner but we're still on edge, just like Rick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:59 am  Reply with quote

I am not sure how I feel about the CDC plotline,,,
Sirand
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:31 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
I am not sure how I feel about the CDC plotline,,,

It's a no-brainer.

They're in Atlanta, that HAS to be addressed. I actually got a little frustrated while reading the comic cause it felt like such a missed opportunity.
Billz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:44 pm  Reply with quote

If the CDC is in downtown Atlanta, then it's not a no-brainer. Rick is risking the lives of everyone in his group, including his family, to march into enemy territory.

Comic Rick wouldn't take that risk. He did everything possible to protect his family.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:36 am  Reply with quote

I feel like the more the TV show strays from the source material, the less I'm into it. I would perfectly fine with an almost literal adaptation.
Billz
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:49 pm  Reply with quote

I feel like the more the TV show strays from the source material, the less I'm into it. I would perfectly fine with an almost literal adaptation.

Agreed. I was really hoping to see Robert Kirkman's story come to life, not Frank Darabont's.

Hopefully the show will draw a few new readers to the comic.
will graham
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

Well I'm going to read the comic now as is a couple of my friends.

I enjoyed the show except for episode 3 which really entered into soap opera land.

I don't mind if they don't have zombies in every episode but they should be in danger in each one, otherwise it will become boring.
I remember 80's apocalypse show The Tripods had 6 or 7 eps where all the characters did was pine over a princes and make french wine while the title's bad guys only appear about 20 secs per episode.

The show was good and I'll watch next season but as usual I think that it's been overrated by this site.
doubleh55
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

As somebody who hasn't read the books yet and somebody who loves great television, The Walking Dead is awesome. I thought the CDC stuff was interesting. They don't really give an explanation of the virus just a little bit on how it works. It really just set up some character moments more than trying to explain the zombie outbreak. I also like how it established the stakes for these characters by mentioning that it's not just in the US this is happening. I also liked how the blood tests set up some interesting dynamics for future episodes. I also think Michael Rooker is awesome and I can't wait to see when Merle shows up again.
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:00 am  Reply with quote

I really like the series so far and look forward to season 2. Only three things have really pissed me off....

1. The fact they handcuffed Merle to the roof and chained the only door to prevent zombies from getting him, then when he escapes, there's a completely unprotected second way off the roof where zombies who were in the building, never once stumbled upon.

2. The hospital scene. There's a zombie apocalypse going on, a military shootout inside, and Rick lies quietly in his hospital bed without being found by anyone because Shane rolled a gurney in front of the door. Really? Zombies can't push things out of the way? It would have made much more sense if Shane barricaded the door from the inside and then scaled down the side of the building.

3. The fact they treat guns like they are gold. I understand that scavengers probably looted gun shops and such, but last time I checked, there's millions of gun owners in the US, and right now, they are DEAD. Send out scout teams into private houses and look for guns. I seriously doubt they are ALL missing. Right now survivors are the minority, right? There's probably 20,000 guns per person left alive. Find some.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:58 am  Reply with quote

kiddcapone wrote:

3. The fact they treat guns like they are gold. I understand that scavengers probably looted gun shops and such, but last time I checked, there's millions of gun owners in the US, and right now, they are DEAD. Send out scout teams into private houses and look for guns. I seriously doubt they are ALL missing. Right now survivors are the minority, right? There's probably 20,000 guns per person left alive. Find some.

Sorry but who is going to risk raiding random houses for guns during something like that?
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

kiddcapone wrote:

Sorry but who is going to risk raiding random houses for guns during something like that?

People who are desperate for survival. Not every place is grossly overrun.

Who is going to risk going back into a hornet's nest of zombies to rescue a racist asshole no one likes from a rooftop that in all probability was already dead? Especially when you have a family you thought you'd never see again and need to protect.
David
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

kiddcapone wrote:

That's a good nitpick that I didn't even think of. In rural areas of the US even the bleeding heart liberals are armed to the teeth. In the outskirts of Atlanta there are probably 6 guns in every household on average. They should have found a house with a 4X4 truck outside prominently displaying a rebel flag on the bumper and they'd have more than enough guns and ammo to wait out the apocalypse.

My big nitpicks with the series finale had to do with the computer having a female voice, the CDC having a countdown clock and being rigged to blow in a near nuclear CGI explosion if they lost backup power. Yeah, sending a huge plume into the atmosphere will keep the small pox virus safe if there is a power outage! That stuff that would be fine in Resident Evil 5 but the finale made me realize I was watching a silly show.

I hate to say it but several sections of the season made me think I was watching a Stephen King mini-series with much better gore. All it needed was a Wings cast member in the lead and the mediocrity would have been assured. I loved the first episode but then my interest steadily dwindled a little more each week until it fizzled out at the CDC. Maybe I was expecting too much because Frank Darabont was running the show. I really wanted to love it and I will definitely tune in next year to see if the new writers can elevate it for me.
doubleh55
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
1. The fact they handcuffed Merle to the roof and chained the only door to prevent zombies from getting him, then when he escapes, there's a completely unprotected second way off the roof where zombies who were in the building, never once stumbled upon.

We never saw Merle's escape. You're making assumptions based on the only information that he's not there when they come back. Like you're trying really hard to be upset over the inconsequential.

Quote:
2. The hospital scene. There's a zombie apocalypse going on, a military shootout inside, and Rick lies quietly in his hospital bed without being found by anyone because Shane rolled a gurney in front of the door. Really? Zombies can't push things out of the way? It would have made much more sense if Shane barricaded the door from the inside and then scaled down the side of the building.

So how is Shane going to actually scale down the side of the building when it was shown that Rick wasn't even on the first floor? According to your logic, that would also be completely unrealistic. I also recall in the pilot he had a difficult time opening the door because of the gurney in the way.

Quote:

I would bet you a million dollars if you were alive during a zombie apocalypse, looting random houses in the chance you'll find guns but a much higher chance of just running into zombies is the last thing on your mind.

You're also making the assumption that these same rednecks that have guns in their houses didn't already arm themselves to the teeth with their own guns to protect themselves. I would think that if you're a gun owner and the dead have come back to life, you're not keeping your guns in their lock boxes or trophy cases. Look back at the pilot. Rick gets to his house and finds that all the guns are gone. You mean to tell me Rick's family is the only family that when they left their houses, left their guns?

I'll also defend them going back for Merle. Rick isn't just dedicated to his family but he's dedicated to being a police officer. If he wasn't so concerned with doing the right thing, he wouldn't have bothered to wear his police uniform. He would have just put on something more readily available. Shane is never in his uniform and he's the one that's turning into a negative douche bag. [/quote]