a

Amnesia: The Dark Descent Goes Open Source In Anticipation of New Game

I’m still far too terrified to play Amnesia: The Dark Descent. However, I am sort of interested in opening the game up and seeing what the inside looks like. Or rather, since I don’t understand code, I am interested in someone else doing it for me. Good news: now they can.

The source code, which was released on github, lets you dig through the game and see just how it works. This is something that should really help modders in messing around with the game, and hopefully bring a whole new generation with ways to scare people. Despite the open-source code, Amnesia: The Dark Descent will still be for sale. In addition to this, the sequel Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs has also gone open source.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent originally launched in 2010. To say the game was a success is an understatement, as it managed to be a massive hit and would ultimately go on to completely rewrite many of the rules that horror games would follow since. Frictional Games did follow up with an expansion, Amnesia: Justine, and then moved on to make sci-fi horror game SOMA. A sequel, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, was developed by The Chinese Room and released in 2013. A second sequel, once again developed by Frictional Games, Amnesia: Rebirth, will be launching on October 20th.

If you want to take a look at Amnesia: The Dark Descent‘s open source code, you can do so here. The game is also available to purchase on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.

Add Comment