FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Shiver Shack -> Paranormal Activity 2 (probably spoilers)
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:23 pm  Reply with quote

So yeah... I liked it. I liked it a lot. I'm kind of on my way out the door right now, so I'm gonna post something more in depth later, but for the moment I'll say this...

I can't decide if I like the fact that they explained the demon more. It's the logical thing to do in the sequel, but I think it takes some of the mystery out and makes it a bit less frightening. In the first movie, they had no fucking clue what it wanted, so there was almost nothing they could do. There was a real sense of hopelessness, which I didn't feel quite as much with this one. I liked this movie, I think it was more well-written, but I didn't "feel" it as much.

I also posted a review, if anyone feels like watching it.
http://blip.tv/file/4295670
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

Paranormal Activity 2 fucking sucks. What most people enjoyed about the first film, the ambiguous intentions of the demon haunting Katie, is now explained away in the sequel using the uber-lame Tales from the Darkside-ish storyline of making a deal with the devil/demon for success /wealth in exchange for the first born male.

What made the original PA work, was the slow buildup of the demon slowly and steadily increasing in power and activity toying with both Katie and Micah until he fully unleashes his wrath. No one knew what it was capable of. But this time around, we KNOW going into the film how powerful the demon is. And he DOES start out strong by completely destroying the entire house from top to bottom. So it wasnít building in strength, it started off with power.

So why not just take the baby then? Why resort back to Haunting 101 amateurish trivial bullshit for several months? Why waste time turning on and off lights when people are sleeping, or dropping pots and pans, or spinning baby mobiles when no one is looking? Why not just drag the baby into the basement? Why not use the strength it had to hurt the dog or drag the mom down the steps and kill everyone in the house itself? If you can drag someone surely you can snap a neck, or push them down the stairs, or drown them in the pool, right? The demon did manage to ďpossessĒ the mom at one point, why not just pick up the baby and kill it or leave the house with Hunter like Katie did at the end? Why just sit in the chair?

But instead of logical story writing, we get extended periods of absolutely nothing happening through the watchful eye of surveillance cameras set up to bore us all to death. No exaggeration, they must have shown the vacuum cleaning the pool for about 10 total minutes. We get 15 minutes of pots hanging in the kitchen and another 15 minutes of the empty hallway. I felt like I was playing the game Night Trap again but this time only watching the rooms with no one in it. The times when shit is happening, itís a carbon copy of the first film. A cynical non-believing male? Check. A Ouija board experiment? Check. Getting dragged down a hallway? Check. Getting bit on the leg? Check. Ending with Katie throwing someone at the camera? Check.

PA2 basically then attempts to steal ideas from better films and throws them in the mix. The entire basement scene felt like it was ripped right out of REC. The ďpassing off the curseĒ to Katie felt stolen from Drag me to Hell. And while Iím on the subject, the voodoo super nanny was able to transfer the demon to Katie through an object? Why? The demon was after Hunter. Why haunt Katie at all? Boredom? She wasnít his target. Maybe she was an easier target to get to Hunter? Lame. The demon had several shots at him and didnít take them.

I still have no idea why PA2 was rated R. What happened that I missed? They pussied out on everything. Whatever happened to the dog happened off screen. They coincidentally had the daughter not home the night everything went down so she couldnít die. Nothing bad happened to the baby. A guess a few select F bombs gave it the R rating because I canít see anything else that was even remotely bad.

The biggest problem with PA2 is: Thereís no payoff. If you are going to do an extremely slow burn buildup movie to follow up an extremely slow burn build up predecessor, then end it with a total HOLY FUCK moment to make it all worth the trip. PA2 ends with a whimper. End it with Katie biting the head off of Hunter and dropping him back into the crib. Something to make people shit their pants. Just throwing someone into the wall, the same exact way the last movie ended, isnít enough to justify the 89 minutes of boredom leading up to the unsatisfying conclusion.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:17 pm  Reply with quote

Really? You didn't consider the whole "REC" scene as a payoff? To me, that part absolutely MADE the movie. Also, the big twist. The big "this dude causes EVERYTHING that happens in the first movie to save his family" revelation was definitely a HOLY SHIT moment for me.

The scene of Katie coming back felt tacked on, though.

If it had ended with Katie biting the head off of the baby, I would have walked out of the theater. I'm all for gore (remember, I LOVED both Hatchet movies), but it has no place in the Paranormal Activity series. It wouldn't work.

I can't say I really disagree with anything else you said, just that it didn't really bother me quite as much as it bothered you. We know the demon's motivations this time around, but we really don't know much about how it functions, so the fact that it moved a pool cleaner and tossed pots for an hour before really getting going didn't bother me. Maybe it didn't trash the house, maybe that was caused by the sheer energy of it coming from hell. Maybe it exhausted itself tearing up the house and had to wait and regather its' energy. Hell, maybe it just LIKES to fuck with them. I mean, look at Freddy Krueger. If he wanted to, he could kill each kid in their dream in half a second, but he drags it out on purpose because he enjoys it.

I can easily see why you'd say "why didn't it just take the baby and go" but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief on this thing.

As far as repeating the "gags" (for lack of a better word) from the first movie, the more I think about it, the more I like that it did. The first movie played with your expectations a lot. It would introduce something (like the sheets moving) and then expand on it later (dragging out of bed and down the hall). The mother getting dragged down the hall was expected, but when she ran back up the stairs and got dragged a SECOND time, all the way into the basement, to have the door slam, shutting her inside? I for one wasn't expecting that. And sure, she gets possessed again, but it went a completely different way than the first one did (with the "REC" scene).
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:19 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

nonserviam03 wrote:
The big "this dude causes EVERYTHING that happens in the first movie to save his family" revelation was definitely a HOLY SHIT moment for me.

I despised that. It's just lame, uncreative bullshit. And this transfer is done by shoving a cross at the thing and burning a photograph? What the fuck is this nonsensical "spell"?

I loved the first film and am finding myself a bit appalled at where they're taking it - and not in a good way.
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
goblin310
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:54 pm  Reply with quote

kiddcapone wrote:
Paranormal Activity 2 fucking sucks. What most people enjoyed about the first film, the ambiguous intentions of the demon haunting Katie, is now explained away in the sequel using the uber-lame Tales from the Darkside-ish storyline of making a deal with the devil/demon for success /wealth in exchange for the first born male.

Yeah you're right, that idea has only been famously explored by Tales from the Dark Side Rolling Eyes
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

goblin310 wrote:
kiddcapone wrote:

Yeah you're right, that idea has only been famously explored by Tales from the Dark Side Rolling Eyes

It's uncanny the amount of stupid people walking this Earth. Neutral

I would think by now I wouldn't need to dumb everything down, but apparently I give people too much credit. At NO TIME did I ever say, or even the quote you picked out say, that idea has ONLY been used in Tales from the Darkside. It's a comparison to a show KNOWN FOR using silly cheesy horror themed storylines. The age old "sell your soul to the devil" has been used a billion fucking times, not only by Tales from the Darkside, but by The Simpsons, Faust, Saturday Night Live skids, Twilight Zone, Tales from the Crypt, etc. You name it, they did it. It's been overused, abused, and beat into the ground.

The point is, when people praise PA2 about being wellwritten and original, I salute that opinion with a big fat middle finger. They took one of the most commonly used horror devil/demon gimmicks of all-time and reused the same gags from the 1st film over again. That is NOT well-written or original. It's laziness at it's finest.
goblin310
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

kiddcapone wrote:
It's uncanny the amount of stupid people walking this Earth. Neutral

I would think by now I wouldn't need to dumb everything down, but apparently I give people too much credit. At NO TIME did I ever say, or even the quote you picked out say, that idea has ONLY been used in Tales from the Darkside. It's a comparison to a show KNOWN FOR using silly cheesy horror themed storylines. The age old "sell your soul to the devil" has been used a billion fucking times, not only by Tales from the Darkside, but by The Simpsons, Faust, Saturday Night Live skids, Twilight Zone, Tales from the Crypt, etc. You name it, they did it. It's been overused, abused, and beat into the ground.

The point is, when people praise PA2 about being wellwritten and original, I salute that opinion with a big fat middle finger. They took one of the most commonly used horror devil/demon gimmicks of all-time and reused the same gags from the 1st film over again. That is NOT well-written or original. It's laziness at it's finest.

I haven't read a single comment from anyone about how this movie is "original" and "well written." It's getting praise because it has some badass, well done moments in it.

... and it was a fuckin joke spaz, calm down.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

goblin310 wrote:
I haven't read a single comment from anyone about how this movie is "original" and "well written." It's getting praise because it has some badass, well done moments in it.

I said it was more well written than the first one, maybe that's what he's referring to. Never said it was original, though.
goblin310
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

People are just over thinking these movies. They're spoke house pics and good ones at that. There meant to scare... nothing more, nothing less.
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:14 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

goblin310 wrote:
People are just over thinking these movies.

Yeah - lord forbid anyone ever stoop to using their brain while watching a movie. Films are fragile pieces of silly fluff, and if you deign to use any thought, the whole thing just crumbles. Stop thinking so much people! Just enjoy the ART!

Don't be an apologist for bad film. Paranormal Activity 2 was poorly thought out hackery. There was nothing smart about it; quite the opposite, as you needed to *not think* to enjoy the stupid thing.
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
goblin310
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

Tristan Sinns wrote:
Yeah - lord forbid anyone ever stoop to using their brain while watching a movie. Films are fragile pieces of silly fluff, and if you deign to use any thought, the whole thing just crumbles. Stop thinking so much people! Just enjoy the ART!

Don't be an apologist for bad film. Paranormal Activity 2 was poorly thought out hackery. There was nothing smart about it; quite the opposite, as you needed to *not think* to enjoy the stupid thing.

Both of these movies where made to be entertaining, not award winning oscar fair. God I hope you don't watch every movie hoping to find some deep important message in it, cuz I'd imagine you must be pretty disappointed by most every movie you watch.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:26 pm  Reply with quote

I find it very interesting that alot of people are divided on whether or not the sequel surpassed the original. In my opinion, it did. It's hard for me to pin down exactly what made the sequel more uncomfortable to sit through. Perhaps it was the presence of a baby this time around that made my mind race as to what was going to happen to the child.

The only illogical thing that stood out to me was the inclusion of a basement in a California home. The method the father used to expel the demon didn't bother me considering demonic possession is a thing of fiction, like PA2 itself.

I forgot to say that I thoroughly enjoyed and was surprised by the father getting his neck snapped! I've seen a lot of neck snaps in my time, but that one ranks pretty damn high with me!
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:53 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

LSD Zombie wrote:
The method the father used to expel the demon didn't bother me considering demonic possession is a thing of fiction, like PA2 itself.

Yes, fiction - but also completely absurd. What if instead of shoving a wooden cross at her and burning a photograph, he pewped in a bucket and mailed it to Walmart? I mean, it's fiction, right? Would pewping in a bucket and sending it to Walmart be an acceptable to to cast a fictional "spell" to get rid of a demon?

Just because something is 'fictional' doesn't mean it's allowed to be stupid.
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
goblin310
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:44 am  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
The only illogical thing that stood out to me was the inclusion of a basement in a California home.

haha You know I thought the same thing. But they set up that basement scene perfectly.
Tshoffie
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:21 am  Reply with quote

i cant see why anyone would wanna pay for this crap the first one sucked and this one will too. its a shame its making so much money cause it will end up spawning another useless sequel...lol why dont they just go to syfy and talk to the ghost hunters and make a theatrical movie on the ghost hunters afterall these films are nothing more then a big screen version of that anyways