FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> George Lucas
Karloff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

When asked recently what the situation is with the forthcoming live action Star Wars tv series, Lucas said they're finding it really difficult to imagine how they will do it on the existing budget. Given that the scripts are Star Wars through and through, Lucas would have to find some smart ways to cut corners if he doesn't want to overspend.

The attached link shows that Luas isn't exactly in a position to overspend!

http://givingpledge.org/#george_lucas

I am truly staggered at such an altruisitc and selfless act as this. He's one of many American billionaires who will be giving at least 50% of their money to charity. An act that even the most cynical would have to applaud.
Karloff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:03 am  Reply with quote

Should it be seen as a sad reflection on our forum members that not one of you has a comment to make on this? Maybe next time I'll post something up about James Cameron's left testicle (that's bound to get a response from at least one of you I'm sure).
BadAsh
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

you might be getting no response because people (like me) think George Lucas friggin sucks and can't be bothered (or are too nice) to explain that in their reply to this thread they aren't interested in.

nonserviam03
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

BadAsh wrote:
you might be getting no response because people (like me) think George Lucas friggin sucks and can't be bothered (or are too nice) to explain that in their reply to this thread they aren't interested in.

Yeah, pretty much. I'm really not interested in a live action Star Wars tv show, because as far as I'm concerned, Star Wars is dead, and anything further is beating the greasy spot in the pavement where the horse used to be.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that. I just didn't have anything to say in response but 'good for George' and others who have devoted a lot of their worth for the betterment of the less fortunate.

I have trouble thinking this is a direct cause/effect on the series. There's plenty of sci-fi out there on moderate budget that does just fine. In fact I would argue the best thing the series could do is hit the ground running with more talent than budget.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
BadAsh wrote:

Yeah, pretty much. I'm really not interested in a live action Star Wars tv show, because as far as I'm concerned, Star Wars is dead, and anything further is beating the greasy spot in the pavement where the horse used to be.

Star Wars is far from dead. There is a rich, deep universe to be explored by good storytellers (something that Bioware has done and most likely will do again with Old Republic). The problem for me is that the part of this universe that Lucas is concentrating on for the TV show doesn't really interest me. The two things I like the most about Star Wars are Han Solo and the Jedi/Sith conflict. Without Solo all that I have left is the Jedi/Sith and that is something he won't be dealing with on the show, at least the last time I read about it that was the case.
Karloff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:14 am  Reply with quote

This thread was more about Lucas's altruism (in which case, I ask the time honoured question, what did YOU do today, BadAsh? Fuck all, I imagine.) than his films or the tv series.

I think it's lamentable that no-one could be arsed to at least acknowledge what a generous soul he must be to give most of his wealth away. It can only be guilt that stayed the hand of so many.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:34 am  Reply with quote

Karloff wrote:
This thread was more about Lucas's altruism (in which case, I ask the time honoured question, what did YOU do today, BadAsh? Fuck all, I imagine.) than his films or the tv series.

I think it's lamentable that no-one could be arsed to at least acknowledge what a generous soul he must be to give most of his wealth away. It can only be guilt that stayed the hand of so many.

I don't give 2 shits about his generosity. Just like I don't give 2 shits that Roman Polanski got it on with a 14 year old girl or that Tom Cruise is bat shit crazy. I care about the entertainment they give me.
BadAsh
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:16 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
I don't give 2 shits about his generosity. Just like I don't give 2 shits that Roman Polanski got it on with a 14 year old girl or that Tom Cruise is bat shit crazy. I care about the entertainment they give me.

this.

...and to answer your question, I did the same thing I do every day....

....tried to take over the world!

frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:30 pm  Reply with quote

You make a thread about Lucas and his generosity and then come off your cross to berate the people who don't give him the proper acknowledgment? You're seriously close to trolling, dude.

For the record, I agree with DSIC. Who cares what celebrities do in their personal life? I'm more worried about that creepy fat guy across the street.
Orunitier
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:03 am  Reply with quote

Don't worry, Lucas will have another batrillion dollars after the re-re-release of Star Wars 1-6 in 3D.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:04 am  Reply with quote

Orunitier wrote:
Don't worry, Lucas will have another batrillion dollars after the re-re-release of Star Wars 1-6 in 3D.

Just what the world needs... more bad 3D transfers of movies that don't need them.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:26 pm  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
Orunitier wrote:

Just what the world needs... more bad 3D transfers of movies that don't need them.

I'm willing to bet that Lucas won't release these films with a bad 3D transfer.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:
Orunitier wrote:

I'm willing to bet that Lucas won't release these films with a bad 3D transfer.

Even the best 3D transfers turn out bad if the movie wasn't intended for 3D. The reason the 3D looked good in Piranha is because they knew from the beginning that they were going to transfer it to 3D, so they shot it with that in mind.

Bad might not be the word, though. I think the 3D just won't be utilized in any significant way and won't actually effect or add to the movies.
ajburton29
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:19 am  Reply with quote

I bet Han's laser blast in the trash compactor ricochets out into the audience.