FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Action star retirement community unite! (The Expendables)
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:12 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
Scarface is better than The Godfather.

If this was the first time I'd ever read anything you think I would immediately assume you were joking...Since it's not, I know you're not. And like always, you couldn't be more wrong.

Agree, especially since one is essentially a camp classic while the other is a brilliant drama. One is a mobster movie, the other is a fucking gangster flick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:53 pm  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
Scarface is better than The Godfather.

this has nothing to do with anything

What does any of this have to do with The Expendables?

Touché

I'll talk action movies and stars all day long so it doesn't matter to me but I don't feel as passionately about them as you guys seem to.
Emy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Emy wrote:
Terminal wrote:

On a better note, Luc Besson has made some rather great action films.

Which ones have you seen? I pretty much will watch any action movies has had a hand in. The guys has an eye for "fun" stuff.

The B13 movies, the Yamakasi movies (I've yet to see the second one but it will happen someday), the Taxi movies (more comedy, but some action, lots of car scenes), Nikita, Leon, Taken, even Point of No Return was half way decent (and a guilty pleasure of mine), the Transporter movies, even though it was sci-fi The Fifth Element had some good action scenes, Danny the Dog, Kiss of the Dragon, the Crimson Rivers movies (even though they seem to not belong together, they're fun), ...

Some of his productions are flawed, very flawed even, but all have been enjoyable so far. I still have a few of the movies he has produced to see at this point though. I started making sure I see whatever he produces (as a producer, a writer, a director, ...) after I noticed in had a hand in one way or the other in most of my favorite movies (5th Element, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Taxi, ...).

If all the ones I have had subtitles, I'd offer to send you some of them, but most of my older stuff was bought in Montreal, hence no subs sometimes.

I've seen The Professional, La Femme Nikita, and stuff he's produced like District B13, Taken, the Transporter movies, and even Kiss of the Dragon, which is flawed as hell but still better than most action films that came out around that time.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Tristan!

Couldn't disagree with you more on this one. Everything you bring up is accurate but I think you're forgetting how to enjoy an 80's action movie. You obviously forgot to hand the usher your brain when you walked into the theater. I loved it. I had hyped this movie up so much and it exceeded all of my expectations. It was so much fun. The Sly, Bruce, Arnold scene was amazing. The theater was in such an uproar that it was impossible to hear all of the dialogue. A few people even stood up and clapped when Arnold walked in.

I suggest you watch a dozen or so 80's action movies and watch it again and rewrite your review 'cause as it is now you seem like you have completely missed the point.

It's not often that I don't agree with you but this time shame on you!

Is it the greatest action movie ever made? No. Has it attained cult status overnight? Yes.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:07 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

It was alright.

Spoilers:

I kind of wish Jet Li got to hand Dolph his ass in at least one of their two fights together. I don't buy Ivan Drago being able to take out Wong Fei-Hung. No way.

Terry Crews surpassed my expectations. That "I hope you remember this at Christmas" scene was pretty badass.

Is it me, or does Randy Couture look dead on like a bigger version of this guy:

I thought that, every time he showed up on screen.

Mickey Rourke was excellent. It'd be cool if they gave him more to do in the sequel, but I'm not holding my breath. He's a busy guy, these days.

I may have more thoughts to share on the movie, later on. Right now, I'm just waking up, still half-stoned from last night. Groggy as all hell.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

I agree on Mickey Rourke. I actually really dug the way he was used in this movie. Unlike Tristan, haha, I felt his emotional scene at the end was great and it wasn't pointless at all it was what made Sly decide to go back. At that age they would definitely want to reflect on their past and feel remorse about some of things they had done. They're not simply stone cold killers anymore.

Statham was pretty amazing. I loved the action scenes. I can see why Sly suffered so many serious injuries making this movie and wonder if I'm right about the scene in which he broke his neck.
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:04 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I'm sorry to have let you down Floyd! Laughing

I just didn't buy it. The only real resemblance this movie has to 80's action movies is that it has some of the old action heroes that were in them; otherwise it felt pretty damned "modern" to me.

Mickey Rourke's role was completely wasted. When he first showed up in the film and there was the line about him filling in for Gunner, I thought, "Oh cool, Barfly gets to shoot stuff!" Then the only major time we see him after that is him crying about his "lost soul".

I agree that Statham was alright, but he pretty much played the same character he always does. Still, his performance certainly wasn't what lost the film for me.

Anyway, full review if anyone is so inclinded:

http://www.fangirltastic.com/content/expendables-2010
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

I thought Rourke's Bosnia story was cringe-worthy. Could Stallone possibly have focused the camera even closer to Rourke's mouth? That was weird. Anyway, while there were some standout moments, it could have and should have been a helluva lot better.

The script was about as bereft of story and character development as one can get. I know this was intented to be an 80's action film throwback, but give me something that sets the characters apart. And Eric Roberts' character is dangerously close to early Bond villian goofiness. Couldn't Stallone have written something more substantive than "I need more money." for Jet Li? That's pretty much all he says for the entire film. That Lundgren vs. Li fight was weak as shit too.

I could rant endlessly about the failures of The Expendables but I'll leave it there. Okay, one more thing, why couldn't Stallone use real fuckin' laser sights?! CG blood is one thing but laser sights?! Now I'm done.
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:07 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

One last note: you know what would have really made this movie for me? Old man jokes. I didn't underline that enough in that review. Many of these guys are simply *old*. There should have been lots of cracks at their growing ages. The entire premise should have been structured around how they're 60 years old and still trying to do mercenary jobs; but no, they ignore their senior ages, and revolve it around saving the hot girl.
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:10 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

LSD Zombie wrote:
I thought Rourke's Bosnia story was cringe-worthy. Could Stallone possibly have focused the camera even closer to Rourke's mouth? That was weird.

Dude, I sat in the third row of this stadium theater, in one of those seats that lay way back so you're lying there looking up at this giant screen filling your eyeballs. Suddenly that scene shows up, with Mickey's face full super close-up, drooling down at me. It started to disturb me. I kept hypnotically staring at that globule of spit that was just dangling there, waiting for it to fall.

Hated that scene. Laughing
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

Haha, that's ok Tristan you've still got a good track record with me. I'll just know for the future to not look to you as the final word on action movies.

I actually tried to sign up on your site to leave a comment on your review but the registration was just too complex for me. I'm sure that's a relief. Wink
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:14 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Floydian Trip wrote:

I actually tried to sign up on your site to leave a comment on your review but the registration was just too complex for me. I'm sure that's a relief. Wink

You'd be quite welcome there, as would anyone! Was it really that bad? I should look into that - we don't want it to be complicated at all. Confused Razz
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know. It's not like I was working at it for an hour sweating and throwing my laptop across the room. I just didn't get the verification portion of it. It lists 3 numbers and a letter and then asked which word was not used in the article or something like that. I didn't get it.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

On a seperate note, how the hell did Lundgren morph into Frankenstein? The guy's head is massive! And his voice! It's tragic.
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:22 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Floydian Trip wrote:
I don't know. It's not like I was working at it for an hour sweating and throwing my laptop across the room. I just didn't get the verification portion of it. It lists 3 numbers and a letter and then asked which word was not used in the article or something like that. I didn't get it.

aRggh

okay, I need to use a different captcha type.

All it was is, if you see four letters and one number - the answer is the number. If you see four numbers and one letter - the answer is the letter. It's one of those "what doesn't belong" questions.

I guess it does pop up with little explanation.

I just also removed the requirement for email verification - we've other !spammer measures in place that this might not be necessary.

Thank you hugely for the feedback! I need to hear comments like that.

And I loved Dolph in this movie! I thought he was one of the best thing's in it, Frankenstein voice or not. I wish he was in it more. Laughing
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D