FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Christopher Nolan's new film, Inception.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

I have a couple of nit picky differences with your review Tristan. Not in an argumentative way but in an analytical way.

All I knew about this movie going in was the most basic plot synopsis that I read a long time ago and that Leo was in it. I stayed away from any and all information about it. I had no idea who else was in it and was pretty shocked to see Ellen Page appear since this is a big time movie and she doesn't really do that. At least not yet. I love her to pieces and she's excellent in this although her role is very subdued. I think Leo is eventually going to be mentioned among names like Jimmy Stewart and Clint Eastwood I think he's that good but I know Ellen is so phenomenal that she could go toe-to-toe with him without breaking a sweat. The whole cast was excellent including Cillian Murphy and the scientist dude from Avatar.

I was trying to think of other mind-fuck movies that are on the same level and I can't really come up with any that I've enjoyed as much as this. 2001 is amazing but it's a different kind of mind-fuck.
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:22 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Floydian Trip wrote:
I have a couple of nit picky differences with your review Tristan. Not in an argumentative way but in an analytical way.

Lay 'em on me! Unless you meant I perhaps should have talked about Ellen Page's performance. She was great - really, everyone was great in this film. The entire production - from acting, writing, direction, everything - was superb.

This really might be one I see a second time. In IMAX, of course.
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

Tristan Sinns wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

Lay 'em on me! Unless you meant I perhaps should have talked about Ellen Page's performance. She was great - really, everyone was great in this film. The entire production - from acting, writing, direction, everything - was superb.

Start a spoiler thread and I'll let you know there. This is definitely one movie that a person should go into knowing as little as possible.

No, Your review is good the way it is I just see a couple of things differently than you do.
BadAsh
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:20 am  Reply with quote

I'm disappointed my city doesn't have an IMAX Sad

I may have to trek to a more major centre to see this one again!
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:42 am  Reply with quote

Tristan Sinns wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

Just got back from a second showing on an Imax screen. I loved it even more the second time around. Definitely a must-see in Imax.
Legba
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

Saw it last night and while it was stylishly entertaining enough, no doubt Nolan is a fine talented technician, but conceptually the film is a bunch of post modernists mumbo jumbo that takes itself too literally. While it aspires to a higher intellect, is still competently crafted escapism that ultimately felt vacuous to me, although serving those means better than most. The performances where solid on the whole, but Cotillard is put in another fairly suffocating typecast role that's pretty predictable. Have to say I prefer The Dark Knight to this...
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:28 pm  Reply with quote

It was good. I was expecting something a little smarter, but all in all it was very entertaining, if not a bit long. Levitt needs to get more work, as far as I'm concerned he stole the movie from DiCaprio, who was also good.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:23 am  Reply with quote

I guess it just doesn't pay to be an actual good director. If it had been any smarter people would have been throwing around words like "pretentious" and "art house". The movie is the perfect action/mind-fuck hybrid to me. Way, way better than all the Matrix movies put together.

I just watched Solaris a week before this one and that's the perfect love story/mind-fuck hybrid.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:42 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
I guess it just doesn't pay to be an actual good director. If it had been any smarter people would have been throwing around words like "pretentious" and "art house". The movie is the perfect action/mind-fuck hybrid to me. Way, way better than all the Matrix movies put together.

I just watched Solaris a week before this one and that's the perfect love story/mind-fuck hybrid.

It does pay to be a good director. And to have a good cast. This could have been a disaster, but in the right hands it turned out pretty damn good. But better than The original Matrix? That's like comparing early James Bond to Commando. Both are good in their own way, but can hardly be compared side by side.

"Perfect" isn't a word I throw around with wild abandon, and personally I liked Memento better than this. it's been years since I've seen it, but it's just one of those movies that stick with you. I saw Inception a couple days ago and it's already mostly forgotten.

You didn't like Predators so you're stupid and don't know what you're talking about. Huzzah! Mr. Green
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:47 am  Reply with quote

Haha, I'm watching Memento today.
Legba
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

Hell, I did think this movie made some fairly pretentious speculation into dream nature and theory. Siding to just disregard the last century of pioneering field analysis for a clever plot device, adding nothing of any relative substance. That's by definition what pretentious (which gets misused all the time when someone can't address, or chooses not to, a film subtextually) is.
BadAsh
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

This movie was miles better than the first Matrix movie.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

Legba wrote:
Hell, I did think this movie made some fairly pretentious speculation into dream nature and theory. Siding to just disregard the last century of pioneering field analysis for a clever plot device, adding nothing of any relative substance. That's by definition what pretentious (which gets misused all the time when someone can't address, or chooses not to, a film subtextually) is.

Can you get into specifics? Dream nature and theory is not my field of expertise.

I've always wondered why "art house" became a negative term.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:29 pm  Reply with quote

Legba wrote:

It's a freakin' science-fiction film dude. And a damn creative one at that.
Legba
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
Legba wrote:

It's a freakin' science-fiction film dude. And a damn creative one at that.

I realize that. That's why I prefaced my initial comment by saying I didn't buy into the film's 'speculation' at all. I also went on to write if you wanted to take the film as a objective fantasy (or escapism), then I thought it was fairly successful. Of course painting such broad strokes as sayin' it's Science Fiction, and that in and of itself is rational for its defense is a pretty absurd notion. In that case any film 'works' within the confines of its genre. My favorite Science Fiction writer is Isaac Asimov, one of the all-time great thinkers. Within the confines of his beloved genre his ideas had an evolutionary development based on concepts that you could tell he had a real understanding of the ideas he was introducing and dealing, in order to envision the possibilities. No doubt he didn't use the genre as a free pass to wildly throw conjecture without it being subject to critical scrutiny (he was versed in literary criticism as well). If you're talking about Science Fiction as another form of 'pulp', the film was entertaining enough. But the film doesn't allow itself to be taken solely on that level.

Speaking to Floydian Trip's question as far as the study of dreams go. I'm a Jungian student for the most part, although Freud's ideas are certainly of interest. His concept of the collective unconscious as well as being the most revolutionary and imaginative, also offers practical exploration in the field. Based on actual historical and cultural data, real field research, as well as tying together folklore and myth into symbolic importance. The more nurtured the more discovered. I'm in agreement that dreaming is a primordial state, free from artificial artifice.

At the end of the day sure, Inception is just fiction. But if you're going to address 'real' ideas, at least have a better understanding of their characteristics. Or better yet, just because you're dealing in a fictitious medium, doesn't mean a work can't have some semblance of truth. I think Nolan runs into this problem quite a bit in his work. Deciding for ambitious style and clever (tricky) plotting, while obtusely blurring the lack of any real vision (Memento, The Prestige, Inception). I think his best film is The Dark Knight - an accomplished deconstruction of the hero myth.

Hope that helps shed some light on my perspective. You guys gleaned more fulfillment from it than me, and I certainly respect that.