FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Inception (spoilers)
BadAsh
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:25 am  Reply with quote

lots of people groaned in the theatre i was in...i love it!
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:05 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

There were groans in my theater too, though I pretty much just laughed. I love endings like that and have no problem "being certain". My hunch tells me he never woke up as reality almost seemed *too* perfect after they supposedly came out of it.

Well, what the hell - reality is what you make of it. If you're happy while living in a coma induced illusion, is that so bad? Laughing
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
Impure159
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:09 am  Reply with quote

I think the best theory I've heard about this movie is that the entire movie was a dream from the start and that Ellen Pages character was actually the extractor attempting an inception for Cobb to implant the idea to get over his wife.

First off this explains how some regular architecture student was such an expert at dream control/building and took to being a criminal so quickly with no real training or motivation.

In addition it allows some of the stranger events (why was the hotel room trashed and his wife across the street? How did Saito know exactly where and when Cobb would be while looking for a forger among other small plot holes) to make perfect sense, also it would perfectly answer why Ellens character was so enamored with Cobbs marriage from the very beginning.
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:02 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Impure159 wrote:

In addition it allows some of the stranger events (why was the hotel room trashed and his wife across the street?

His wife was framing him for her murder. That's why he couldn't even return to the country. She was across in the other room so that she could jump without him stopping her. She had trashed the room so that it looked like they fought and he chucked her out the window.

The entire point is that she wanted him to kill himself along with her. In her addled state, she reasoned that if she removed any chance he might have of seeing his kids again, or even being free, then he might be willing to die with her and thus join her in what she thought was the "real" reality.
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

I also missed what was said about the 747. Did he say he bought the plane or the airline or something like that.
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:01 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Floydian Trip wrote:
I also missed what was said about the 747. Did he say he bought the plane or the airline or something like that.

He said he bought the entire airline. He added, "It seemed simpler...". Laughing
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Tristan Sinns wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

He said he bought the entire airline. He added, "It seemed simpler...". Laughing

Laughing Yeah, I missed what he said but everyone laughed after he said it.
BadAsh
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

Tristan Sinns wrote:
Well, what the hell - reality is what you make of it. If you're happy while living in a coma induced illusion, is that so bad? Laughing

I'm pretty sure that is the underlying message of the film.
BadAsh
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

Impure159 wrote:
I think the best theory I've heard about this movie is that the entire movie was a dream from the start and that Ellen Pages character was actually the extractor attempting an inception for Cobb to implant the idea to get over his wife.

First off this explains how some regular architecture student was such an expert at dream control/building and took to being a criminal so quickly with no real training or motivation.

I like that take...very plausible.

Impure159 wrote:
...among other small plot holes)

does not compute Confused
Impure159
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:07 am  Reply with quote

Tristan Sinns wrote:
Impure159 wrote:

In addition it allows some of the stranger events (why was the hotel room trashed and his wife across the street?

His wife was framing him for her murder. That's why he couldn't even return to the country. She was across in the other room so that she could jump without him stopping her. She had trashed the room so that it looked like they fought and he chucked her out the window.

The entire point is that she wanted him to kill himself along with her. In her addled state, she reasoned that if she removed any chance he might have of seeing his kids again, or even being free, then he might be willing to die with her and thus join her in what she thought was the "real" reality.

Right but for that to work he would have to be strong enough to be able to hurl his wifes body across a street among problems like who rented the other room? I know it's weird to say that it's easier to believe that all of reality in this movie was a dream than to buy Dicaprio being extremely strong but with how Nolan has us constantly questioning reality throughout the movie and then with that ending it becomes much more plausible to me that nothing was 'real'.
Impure159
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:13 am  Reply with quote

BadAsh wrote:

Impure159 wrote:
...among other small plot holes)

does not compute Confused

The biggest one I can think of right now that bothered me is what happened between the time everyone emerged from the van to when they were awoken in the real world? It was mentioned that they had a week in the first level of Fischers dream, they were probably only in there for like 4 maybe 5 hours, certainly no more than 24 from what we saw. But then it just goes from everyone swimming up to the surface and suddenly 2 seconds later everyone else is waking up in reality. What happened to the rest of the time in that level? How did Saito and Cobb get the kick they needed?

If we're under the assumption reality is the true first level of the dream this makes perfect sense as it is stated early in the film that you don't remember how you got in the specific situation your in while dreaming, you're just suddenly there.
will graham
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

I enjoyed it and liked the ending but couldn't get over how many of my friends didn't see that coming. It just so cliche for a story about dreams and alternative realities.
BadAsh
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:54 pm  Reply with quote

Impure159 wrote:
It was mentioned that they had a week in the first level of Fischers dream, they were probably only in there for like 4 maybe 5 hours, certainly no more than 24 from what we saw.

Just because it isn't on screen doesn't mean it didn't happen....they probably just 'waited it out' lived out the next week in the level, they didn't have heat on their ass anymore because Saito was dead/in limbo...so it would have been easy for them and boring for us (to watch).

I guess they could have made better reference to that.

Impure159 wrote:
How did Saito and Cobb get the kick they needed?

They didn't. They didn't need it. They waited their time out in limbo and when the drugs wore off they woke up.

...and still it IS possible that Leo was still in a dream.

Impure159 wrote:
If we're under the assumption reality is the true first level of the dream this makes perfect sense as it is stated early in the film that you don't remember how you got in the specific situation your in while dreaming, you're just suddenly there.

...I guess this is what you are sayin' here...eh?