FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Inception (spoilers)
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:41 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Can't wait for you Tristan.

Like I said nit picky.


I was wondering first where you got the impression that the city was war torn. If you're talking about the city Leo's character built with his wife. Maybe I missed something but I felt it had become so dilapidated from neglect because she had died.

The other thing was the children. Maybe you're just saying it a different way but the kids were never running away from him. Yes, in the moment that he kept reliving when he had to flee they had been called by their grandmother so technically they were running away but he chose to not call them. Also when he confronts his wife towards the end of the movie he talks about how much he wanted to see the children's faces and she calls them over so he covers his eyes. I kind of think what you wrote is a wee bit misleading.

The ending was absolutely perfect. That top began to sputter ever so slightly and then BAM the credits rolled. I guess I would have been disappointed to see it end any other way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:04 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 1966

Nit picky's okay with me - I love details. Very Happy

You're right in that the landscape may have been more dilapidated rather than actually wartorn. It's hard to say. It's really left up to our imagination. I used the term 'wartorn' as the scene immediately made me think of images from old wartorn Lebanon, back in the 80's (though they've unfortunately been wartorn since as well).



Since my brain had tied those things together, I tossed that term into the review without even thinking about it. But, you're right - there was nothing in the film that suggested there had been a literal war there.

As far as the children - you're also right - though perhaps conditionally. The children were running away from him; just unwittingly so. They didn't even know he was there, as you said. But, emotionally - maybe that's how he felt. His children were leaving him, running in the opposite direction, perhaps never to be seen again, and he was powerless to follow.

It's just a beautiful and poetic movie.
_________________
Reviews:
My Soul to Take
Devil
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:21 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Beautiful and poetic yes!

Interesting view.

The way I saw it was that he couldn't bear to tell the children that he was leaving and felt that if he had seen their faces that he would not have been able to leave. This is the why he covered his eyes when his wife called the children over in the dream because he probably would have given up and stayed there.

Of course, there's nothing in the movie that says that's the way it is but that's how I felt.

I think ultimately he was trying to decide if living a lifetime with his wife and children in a dream was worth becoming a vegetable in reality. He had no assurances that he'd really be able to make it back to the kids. He could have been tossed in prison for the rest of his life when he reached customs for all he knew.

They had already grown old together once and his memory of her was still pretty much intact and that's why he was fighting so hard to keep her even though it very well could have jeopardized the mission. caper. job.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:41 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Inception is also NOT a summer movie by any definition. It just happens to be summer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:17 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 1966

Floydian Trip wrote:
Inception is also NOT a summer movie by any definition. It just happens to be summer.


Well, except that a summer movie is a movie released during the summer season, which it is. Laughing

If you mean to say that it does not fall into the typical "big dumb loud movie" category that usually makes up summer films (e.g., Predators), then I'm right with ya'. Razz
_________________
Reviews:
My Soul to Take
Devil
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadAsh
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:26 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 476
Location: Canada, EH

Floydian Trip wrote:
Maybe I missed something but I felt it had become so dilapidated from neglect because she had died.


I think there was evidence of it 'going to shit' before she died (because they lost sight of reality)...which I believe is what caused Leo to plant the 'is the life you live real' idea in the first place.


Floydian Trip wrote:
The ending was absolutely perfect. That top began to sputter ever so slightly and then BAM the credits rolled. I guess I would have been disappointed to see it end any other way.


agreed 100%...probably my favorite part of the film....i think it looked like it was going to regain momentum at the very last second...but who knows? and that is the best part! Cool
_________________
?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:29 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

How about old-school summer movie? It used to mean Jaws but now it's Transformers. Laughing

One thing I need help with is Tom Berenger's character. Was he just a construct of the architect? I didn't see him in the movie until the dream and he went along with the heist. Apologizing to Cillian's character for screwing him over.

I had to get up for 5 minutes and get my gf popcorn and in a movie like this the most profound thing could have happened in that time. I'm seeing it again either today or tomorrow and it will be IMAX.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:36 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 1966

Floydian Trip wrote:

One thing I need help with is Tom Berenger's character. Was he just a construct of the architect? I didn't see him in the movie until the dream and he went along with the heist. Apologizing to Cillian's character for screwing him over.


He was a real guy. He was Fischer's Godfather. However, Tom Hardy's character, Eames, had some sort of training that allowed him to "forge" other people's identities in the world of dreams. Eames forged Fischer's Godfather and pretended to be him in the dream world, in the attempt to influence Fischer that way.
_________________
Reviews:
My Soul to Take
Devil
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:43 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Damn, that must have been discussed while I was out. There was a line at the concession stand and I was ready to push everyone out of my way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadAsh
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:44 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 476
Location: Canada, EH

Floydian Trip wrote:
I think ultimately he was trying to decide if living a lifetime with his wife and children in a dream was worth becoming a vegetable in reality.


which holds true by the fact that he did conversely choose to stay in limbo to find his employer....to ensure that he would get to see his children again "in reality"....even if it meant that his fate was that to become a vegetable.

beautiful.
_________________
?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:46 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

BadAsh wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
I think ultimately he was trying to decide if living a lifetime with his wife and children in a dream was worth becoming a vegetable in reality.


which holds true by the fact that he did conversely choose to stay in limbo to find his employer....to ensure that he would get to see his children again "in reality"....even if it meant that his fate was that to become a vegetable.

beautiful.


That's great, I didn't think of that! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadAsh
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:48 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 476
Location: Canada, EH

Tristan Sinns wrote:
He was a real guy. He was Fischer's Godfather. However, Tom Hardy's character, Eames, had some sort of training that allowed him to "forge" other people's identities in the world of dreams. Eames forged Fischer's Godfather and pretended to be him in the dream world, in the attempt to influence Fischer that way.


Ya, I thought that was real cool.

One thing I wondered about though was...at one point The Godfather's "real projection" came in contact with Eames at one point....and I'm not sure which one went into the room after that point...or which one was which after.

I assume that was a brief moment in the movie, just to show how Eames was imitating the projection and not BECOMING the projection....and then that was it, any other time the Godfather was on screen it was Eames imitating him....but not sure?...I will have to watch closer next time.
_________________
?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:08 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 1966

[quote="BadAsh"]
Tristan Sinns wrote:

I assume that was a brief moment in the movie, just to show how Eames was imitating the projection and not BECOMING the projection....and then that was it, any other time the Godfather was on screen it was Eames imitating him....but not sure?...I will have to watch closer next time.


I think it was also just a good tension builder. You have a guy pretending to be someone else so well that his allies in the conspiracy might make the mistake of thinking the real one is the plant.
_________________
Reviews:
My Soul to Take
Devil
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadAsh
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:09 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 476
Location: Canada, EH

[quote="Tristan Sinns"]
BadAsh wrote:
Tristan Sinns wrote:

I assume that was a brief moment in the movie, just to show how Eames was imitating the projection and not BECOMING the projection....and then that was it, any other time the Godfather was on screen it was Eames imitating him....but not sure?...I will have to watch closer next time.


I think it was also just a good tension builder. You have a guy pretending to be someone else so well that his allies in the conspiracy might make the mistake of thinking the real one is the plant.


ya...that works too.

It was a tad confusing...but not that much.
_________________
?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:16 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

BadAsh wrote:

Floydian Trip wrote:
The ending was absolutely perfect. That top began to sputter ever so slightly and then BAM the credits rolled. I guess I would have been disappointed to see it end any other way.


agreed 100%...probably my favorite part of the film....i think it looked like it was going to regain momentum at the very last second...but who knows? and that is the best part! Cool


During those few seconds I had crept to the edge of the seat and held my breath, trying to will the top to fall over. I really wanted to know he was going to be ok. It was a pretty loud groan I let out but I couldn't help it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Dread Central Forum Index -> Out of Genre Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum