FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Red Dead Redemption
ajburton29
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:55 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to check this out but I don't like Rockstar very much because GTA just isn't a very good game. The driving is horrible which is a big part of it and yet they make a perfectly awesome racer. It doesn't make sense.

I haven't played GTA4 yet, but I think I know about the bad driving thing.
In GTA: San Andreas, your character starts off driving pretty bad. It is only after you put some time in driving the cars, that your character 'levels up' his driving skills until you max them out. Then your car drives fine.
The same thing applies to the shooting accuracy. It is crap at first, until the character levels up his gun shooting skills.
Not sure if they were going for that on GTA4 or not.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

ajburton29 wrote:
Quote:
I want to check this out but I don't like Rockstar very much because GTA just isn't a very good game. The driving is horrible which is a big part of it and yet they make a perfectly awesome racer. It doesn't make sense.

I haven't played GTA4 yet, but I think I know about the bad driving thing.
In GTA: San Andreas, your character starts off driving pretty bad. It is only after you put some time in driving the cars, that your character 'levels up' his driving skills until you max them out. Then your car drives fine.
The same thing applies to the shooting accuracy. It is crap at first, until the character levels up his gun shooting skills.
Not sure if they were going for that on GTA4 or not.

I really liked San Andreas, with all the wacky stuff you could do. Then GTA4 came around and decided to be more "realistic", and while it was beautiful, it wasn't very fun to play. No jetpacks or crazy weapons, instead you get to go bowling and answer annoying phone calls.

Red Dead has it's share of minigames, but unlike GTA4 they are fun to play. 5 Finger Fillet is my favorite, although my wife has better rhythm than I do, so I yell for her anytime it gets too hard.

I think the what people like the most about the game is the setting. Making a multimillion game set in the wild west when people have come to know you for gritty, present day adventures was a gamble that payed off. Rockstar could have easily made another GTA game and watched the cash pour in, and taking this approach must have made some suits nervous, but I for one am glad they did. We want variety, and the sales prove it.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
OK, what's the ending? I want to check this out but I don't like Rockstar very much because GTA just isn't a very good game. The driving is horrible which is a big part of it and yet they make a perfectly awesome racer. It doesn't make sense.

You didn't like GTA because you didn't like the driving? Everything is subjective but the driving in the GTA games is always good. GTA IV had more realistic driving, which had a steeper learning curve and it paid off to nail it down. That game was easily the best game of 2008.
Frankenstien
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:41 am  Reply with quote

this post is for GTA 4, and RED DREAD Redemption ; )
any xbox live gamers out there want to start a posse RDR or GTA4
pm me and i'll add you to my xbox friends list Smile

i have yet to play GTA4 multiplayer, this deservers it's own thread
ah the days spent playing , San Andreas or Vice City even GTA 3
and this GTA with multiplayer you have got to love that, but still havn't
given multiplayer a go to,

GUN, I played that alot for xbox 360 it is fun very old school compared to the new one though Razz
vorodex999
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

I love this game.
vorodex999
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

I love the western setting and the rich storyline especially touching on a part of the western at the turn of the century is a great feat as well.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

I traded in a bunch of old shit and got this game. For 1 my boys love Rock Star and GTA. 2. I had a long talk with my favorite Gamestop manager and I told her all of the things that I absolutely hated about GTA and she assured me that while there are some variations on the GTA formula it's so far removed that it isn't annoying in this game. 3. I told her I love westerns and she told me it was like playing Unforgiven, one of my favorites. 4. The multiplayer sounds like a blast and I know my kids will enjoy it.

The negative is that she told me the horse controls like shit. I don't think that'd piss me off as much as unforgivably bad car controls especially when Midnight Club is so awesome.

I also had enough trade in to get a new PS3 headset and this time I went wired since the last Bluetooth one I had wouldn't work for shit and the latest issue of Game Informer.

So, I'm kind of happy about all that.

Happy Trails!
Frankenstien
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:13 pm  Reply with quote

If only there was a VanHelsing Patch for this game!!!

BTW: this game is FUN Mr. Green
RogueNinja
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

Man, I just love playing this game! It's amazing, I get lost for hours on end in it. I wish it would come to the pc though.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:51 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
I traded in a bunch of old shit and got this game. For 1 my boys love Rock Star and GTA. 2. I had a long talk with my favorite Gamestop manager and I told her all of the things that I absolutely hated about GTA and she assured me that while there are some variations on the GTA formula it's so far removed that it isn't annoying in this game. 3. I told her I love westerns and she told me it was like playing Unforgiven, one of my favorites. 4. The multiplayer sounds like a blast and I know my kids will enjoy it.

The negative is that she told me the horse controls like shit. I don't think that'd piss me off as much as unforgivably bad car controls especially when Midnight Club is so awesome.

I also had enough trade in to get a new PS3 headset and this time I went wired since the last Bluetooth one I had wouldn't work for shit and the latest issue of Game Informer.

So, I'm kind of happy about all that.

Happy Trails!

The car controls in GTA IV are fine. They handle more like a real car. No big deal. If you're good at video games, you adapt. It's pretty simple.
The Buz
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:59 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

This very well could be my favorite game of all time.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:50 pm  Reply with quote

I actually have that excellent end-credits song on my MP3 player. I should have purchased the entire soundtrack, it's that damn good.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:36 am  Reply with quote

I really need to get this game. I loooove open world games, and I've never seen a good Western video game before.
Karloff
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:44 am  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
This very well could be my favorite game of all time.

Ditto.

Since getting it about a month ago not a day has passed where I haven't played on it. So much to do - I didn't even bother with the campaign for the first two weeks - and the realisation of the setting and atmosphere is spot on.

I haven't played a game that was so deserving of being called "perfect" since Ocarina Of Time on the N64.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

Karloff wrote:
I haven't played a game that was so deserving of being called "perfect" since Ocarina Of Time on the N64.

You've clearly never played Portal Razz