FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010)
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, I saw it. Get over it. I've played all the games and loved them and went to see this out of sheer boredom and curiosity. I sat down with low expectations that came from a few sources. First of all this is a movie based on a video game, which barring one or two exceptions, aren't very good. Secondly, the trailers did nothing for me. That being said, this movie met every single low expectation and even exceeded some.

The problem with this film is simple. It has no soul. It just exist on the screen and is comprised of almost a checklist of standard adventure movie cliches. Aesthetically pleasing hero? Check. Pretty love interest? Check. Group of wacky characters? Check. Villain with a plan that could destroy the world? Check. The problem with all of these, which have been used time and time again in similar genre films, is that nothing beyond the checklist was added. Like I said, there is no soul. Everything happens and that's it.

Then of course you have the Dagger of Time which when the red jewel is pressed rewinds time for one minute. In the game this mechanic works great because you can retry a missed jump. In the movie it pretty much removes any sense of danger because not a single event that doesn't serve the heroes is allowed to stand. And this is a spoiler here for the predictability challenged, when they talk about how if the villain's plan is to stick the Dagger into a sand pillar that will allow time to flow backwards for an unlimited time, you just know they are going to reset everything and all the deaths of the "good guys" that should have mattered and added a sense of weight to the adventure will be completely undone. So, there goes all sense of drama that this movie tried so hard to achieve in the previous 90 minutes. Coupled with the fact that not one single surprising thing happens in this movie. If you seen any adventure movie ever, you know exactly where this is going from beginning to end. Yawn.

The plot is paper thin with "twists" and last minute plot revelations that don't seem as much like twists as they do pages being turned in as the movie was being shot. God, the more I think about it, the more I hate the script for this movie.

Jake Gyllenhaal does as best he can with almost nothing to do other than be the "hero". Gemma Arterton is supposed to be the plucky princess and she's written plucky enough but really she's just a prettier and far less interesting version of the Princess Leia archetype. You know she's going to fall in love with the Prince which is standard, and maybe with a better actress this would have been even slightly entertaining. But sadly, she, like the movie, is just there to look at.

What's left are some terribly edited fight and action scenes, some mild attempts at humor, and CGI set piece after set piece. Remember in Raiders of the Lost Ark when Indiana Jones was running from a giant boulder? Exciting right? Well that's because there was an actual boulder. CGI pillars falling everywhere doesn't really have the same impact.

It's far from the worst of it's kind, but without any sense of purpose or fun it's just glides across the screen in the safest way possible. I'm sure this film will have it's fans, and that's fine I guess, but it's really depressing that adventure films used to be fun, fresh and vibrant...Now all we have are movies like this and The Mummy, which to my dismay, also has fans.

4/10
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

I might rent it when it comes out but it looks pretty ridiculous.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

Lego has gone nuts with this movie.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Lego has gone nuts with this movie.

My beloved Legos have turned into a corporate whore. Sad