DOCTOR SLEEP Director Mike Flanagan Wants to Tackle Stephen King’s THE DARK TOWER

Mike Flanagan is no stranger to Stephen King adaptations having helmed Gerald’s Game and Doctor Sleep. But it looks like Flanagan may have one more in him as he says he’d still really like to take a swing at King’s magnum opus, The Dark Tower.

Flanagan told Mick Garris at the Fantasia International Film Festival: “I’ve got the answer that most Stephen King fans are going to have. The Dark Tower is forever going to be the story I wish I could tell. That would be the Holy Grail. I mean, talk about an adaptation challenge… So many very talented people have poured so much time and heart and soul and blood, sweat, and tears trying to crack that.”

He adds: “That for me would be the one. I don’t know how that would happen, or if it could happen. That property, it’s daunting. Just to think about…

Of course, if Flanagan did take on the project, he wouldn’t be the first. After all, we have already seen director Nikolaj Arcel’s disastrous big-screen version with Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey. And a failed TV series via Amazon Studios.

The Dark Tower is a series of eight books and one short story that comprise 4,250 pages penned by Stephen King. Incorporating genres like dark fantasy, horror, and Western, it tells of a gunslinger and his quest toward, you know, a dark tower. The series expands upon King’s multiverse, linking together many of his novels.

Are you up for Mike Flanagan and Stephen King’s The Dark Tower? Let us know what you think in the comments below or on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram!

Share: 
Tags:

Categorized: