FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Pirates Of The Caribbean : Dead Man's Chest
Lunablix
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:46 am  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
Lunablix wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:
Sam Hell wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:
Sam Hell wrote:
THERE'S A DOG IN IT?!?!?! OMGWTF HAVE YOU DONE BUZ YOU HEARTLESS CAMEL RAPER?!! A curse on you and your children and your children's children for a thousand generations.

...not really, but yeah.

Laughing Shame on you

I know you didn't you just call me a CAMEL RAPER!

Holy shit that's funny!

no, I called you a HEARTLESS Camel Raper. I agree! Laughing

If I'm not mistaken..I think that's a spoiler for the third Pirates movie.

Shhh!

Shocked You're gonna be in the third movie. Laughing

yeah, CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow and I hump a camel.

Get it?

Shocked And I thought seeing Johnny in drag in Before Night Falls was disturbing. Shocked
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:30 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
Lunablix wrote:
It really doesn't relate much to the movie. It's just something fun.

I just don't think it's worth the 20 mintute credits.

Yes, but it's a spoiler, and should have been behind a warning. Regardless what you think of it, someone else may care. My wife and I did, and would have been pissed to have that little last laugh ruined for us by some random guy on the Internet who was pissy because he waited for it and didn't like the zinger at the end.

All I'm asking for is a little common courtesy, and that people actually consider the feelings of others and not be asshats.
Lunablix
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:40 am  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

Mr. Dark wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:
Lunablix wrote:

Yes, but it's a spoiler, and should have been behind a warning. Regardless what you think of it, someone else may care. My wife and I did, and would have been pissed to have that little last laugh ruined for us by some random guy on the Internet who was pissy because he waited for it and didn't like the zinger at the end.

All I'm asking for is a little common courtesy, and that people actually consider the feelings of others and not be asshats.

Oh My. I saw what he put and stopped reading it before I knew what it was. Yet I still sat to see what it was. But I do speed read through a thread like this when I haven't seen the movie yet just so I don't see spoilers.
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:58 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Mr. Dark wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:
Lunablix wrote:

Well then Mr. Dark, I am sorry. Razz
Samhain
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:15 pm  Reply with quote
Glory Hole

Broke 1 day, 2 day & 3 day box office records over the weekend.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:25 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Not surprising. It was hard as hell to score tickets at the box office. Had to go 3+ hours in advance.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, I went to see it last night and couldn't get a ticket for anything but the last showing which I chose not to do (not wanting to pay $8.50 to sleep through a movie).

I'll try for something later this week.
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:36 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
Not surprising. It was hard as hell to score tickets at the box office. Had to go 3+ hours in advance.

I had a hint of this late last week, as I went out to pick up the DVD of the original. DVD Planet in Huntington Beach sold out. Best Buy in Torrance sold out. Tower Records in Torrance sold out on the floor, but they managed to dig one out of a new deliver in the back.

That the DVD sales of the original so spiked was precursor evidence that this sucker was going to take off on the weekend. Confused
The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
The Woman In Black
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:11 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Thrall

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
I love the first one. It has a perfect balance of horror, comedy, action, and romance. This movie was all slap stick. It had its spectacular moments, and awesome fights and creatues, but the overuse of "cute" comedy ruined it for me. The whole film feels like one big gag reel for CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW!

I had the exact opposite reaction. Wasn't a big fan of the first because it was so silly and kiddish. I much preferred the new one's more serious tone.

Different strokes, I guess.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:29 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Honestly, I was pretty stoned when I saw it... and halfway into the first day of a pretty nasty head cold... so recollections are a bit hazy. But I came away with the impression that this thing could have been so much more.

Davey Jones was cool. Really cool. Whoever said he'd blow Gollum out of the water was 100% correct. Amazing CGI.

Can't help but think I've seen that last Sparrow scene somewhere. Just can't put my finger on it.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:12 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
Honestly, I was pretty stoned when I saw it... and halfway into the first day of a pretty nasty head cold... so recollections are a bit hazy. But I came away with the impression that this thing could have been so much more.

Davey Jones was cool. Really cool. Whoever said he'd blow Gollum out of the water was 100% correct. Amazing CGI.

Can't help but think I've seen that last Sparrow scene somewhere. Just can't put my finger on it.

There was more than a little Captain Morgan in there. Knee up, head high, and after it was done, there -was- a little bit of the Captain in him (the Kraken). Smile
DW Bostaph Jr
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:29 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Ahh tentacles...

What a wonderful return to form for all involved. I am so happy to see that a film series is able to recapture the gee whiz antics that made movies like this so very memorable. Twice now I have been taken aback by the sheer entertainment of these films, and now I find myself awaiting the next with high hopes.

SPOILERS

I AM NOT ATOMIC

SPOILERS

1. The whole idea behind Davy Jones hit a chord with me. I was wary of the character when I saw the design. I was afraid that while the visage of the villan took on Lovecraftian overtones, that the heavy in this story was going to be a one note wonder, all bad... with no pity or remorse. But Nighy's Jones was as human as the rest of the cast. He is capable of making mistakes and letting his emotions get the best of him. Also, with the character there is a bit of pity to be paid for a man hurt so much he cut out his own heart. I feel for him as I did Barbosa as he died at the end of the first film.. never getting the apple.

2. The Kraken... wowowowowowow. Excellent efetcs, and a supremely nasty beasty. Crash McCreery out did himself with the design of the creature, and the speed and ferocity with which it attacked was awe inspiring. The final Kraken scene made me recall the Brain Bug from Starship Troopers.

AND I LOVE how when the Black Pearl Sank the image they used was of the iconic Kraken attack image seen almost with any mention of the creature.

Beautiful.

Plus I loved the whole Kraken dialogue over pronounciation... Laughing

3. The final shot... I gasped so hard my lungs hurt. I was floored and exhilerated. Not since the end of Spiderman II have I seen such a perfect set up.

4. Johnny Depp needs to be bronzed and stored away as a national treasure. He made me recall Buster Keaton, or even his own turn as a Keaton wanna be in Benny and Joon. For throwaway pratfalls and bumbling, he does it with wit and grace.

I hope they continue the series on past part III, and that Depp gets to make many more movies with the character he is etching into the iconography of Hollywood history with each scene Captain Jack chews up.
Marduk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:22 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:
Lunablix wrote:

I'm VERY disappointed in you Buz! Annoyed
Tristan Sinns
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:03 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The Tristan Sinns review. Overall, thumbs up, though it was a bit thin in ye ol' plot!

**Mild spoilers in the review**...but not enough that you should care.

Tristan Sinns wrote:
It is with no minor chagrin that I begin this review by admitting a startling confession; I only just saw the first Pirates of the Caribbean the other day. Yes, yes, I know, this may be the final evidence necessary to finally prove, once and for all, that I am mildly retarded.

Confession complete, I feel it may have given me a different, fresher, perspective of the new film than most, having seen both it and the original for the first time only 24 hours apart. To cut to the nitty gritty, is it as good as the original? Well, no. Is it entertaining? Yes. Yes, it is.

The storyline takes up nearly right after the first film. Elizabeth (Keira Knightley) and William (Orlando Bloom) are about to get married, however their hopes are dashed as they get caught up in a quest, alongside old favorite Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) and other motley characters both new and old, to find a way to avoid and defeat the nefarious octopus-headed Davy Jones (Bill Nighy...though you might not recognize him) and his fishy crew. The plot itself is convoluted, rapid, ever-changing and often a little convenient, however this plot is really only present to support the main allure of the film, which is action, action, action.

And this it delivers in gluttonous mass. The entire film, boiled to its shivering-me-timbers bones, could be described in simple keywords as such:

plot plot jack says something funny plot ACTION plot ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION plot ACTION ACTION ACTION jack says something funny plot ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION wee pirates! ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION tits ACTION parrot

Etc. Except no tits, that was a typo.

The action of the film is supported strongly by effects, costumes and designs of high detail and great flavor. In particular, the fishy, underwater dwelling pirates that make up the crew of Davy Jones are particularly awesome, as is the Cthulhu-esque Jones himself. The variety between these pirate monstrosities is vast, each one a complete highly detailed design. One with a sea urchin for a mouth, another with a hammerhead shaped skull, another has a moray eel swimming in a hole in its belly. All of them are covered with barnacles that open, close and interact. The detail is amazing.

The action of the film moves the story in a fun and engaging manner. This is a long film, at two and a half hours, but admittedly when I got to the end I didn't really feel I'd been in my chair all that long. It pays off, it entertains, and it delivers in its frenzy of piratey action.

Where the film does suffer is really in its plot, which is horribly convenient at times and absurd at others. In ye ol' willful suspension of disbelief, we're willing to accept much, however some things push it too far and just don't make sense. In one scene, for example, Elizabeth dresses up like a man to sneak aboard a pirate ship and travel with the crew. The problem is, she looked about as convincing as a man as she would if she were naked and jumping on a trampoline, which is to say, she did not look like a man, at all.

There are numerous other odd bits that just kind of didn't make sense, such as what's that waterwheel doing out there on a god-forsaken island, why didnt they play squishy with the heart when they had the chance, and, damn, Davy is a conveniently deep sleeper, and why'd they even need the key when they could smash that thing open, and so on. The plot of this film has that "we made it up as we went along!" sort of feel to it, and really it is only there to support the colorful action and special effects. This is not Shakespeare, far from it.

Truth be told, I think this film will ultimately be made better or worse by the third installment of the series. The film ends unapologetically in cliff hanger fashion, leaving the bulk of the plot without closure. If the third film ends up being something powerful and fun, it'll reflect back and make the second movie all that more enjoyable. However, if it sucks? Beware the Ides of Matrix.

Look for high action, beautiful special effects, entertaining characters and decent humor, however besmirched by an overly convenient plot and a cliffhanger ending that may come back and haunt the film if it doesn't pay off in the third installment. This is a fun movie worthy to catch on the big screen. Get to it and enjoy.

The Last Exorcism
Piranha 3D
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:42 am  Reply with quote

I pretty much agree with that. Good, enjoyable and fun and all but a tad weak on the story side.

Loved the surprise at the end (not the end after the credits).