FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Robin Hood
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:03 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

Also, I don't think you know what you're talking about with Alien. Did Alien fans accept Alien 3, Ressurection or either of the AvP movies just because they had an Alien in them? Most hardcore Alien fans hate all of those movies. Yes, I will be there opening night come Hell or high water.


Actually Alien fans have come around to realizing that Alien 3 is a good movie. Also, you are an Alien fan and you think it's going to be good and you just proved my point by saying you're going to be there on opening night. Safe.


Alien 3 only became acceptable to fans after the extended cut was released on the quadrilogy box set. Until then it was hated by all. Yeah, I like it now too but I fucking loathed it after seeing it in the theatre. I never bothered seeing Ressurection in the theatre because I knew it was a steaming pile of shit. To this day I've only bothered to watch it 5 or 6 times even though nowadays I watch the first 3 on pretty much a monthly basis.

I know the prequel is going to be good. If Robin Hood is any indication Ridley is really building up some steam.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Floydian Trip wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

Also, I don't think you know what you're talking about with Alien. Did Alien fans accept Alien 3, Ressurection or either of the AvP movies just because they had an Alien in them? Most hardcore Alien fans hate all of those movies. Yes, I will be there opening night come Hell or high water.


Actually Alien fans have come around to realizing that Alien 3 is a good movie. Also, you are an Alien fan and you think it's going to be good and you just proved my point by saying you're going to be there on opening night. Safe.


Alien 3 only became acceptable to fans after the extended cut was released on the quadrilogy box set. Until then it was hated by all. Yeah, I like it now too but I fucking loathed it after seeing it in the theatre. I never bothered seeing Ressurection in the theatre because I knew it was a steaming pile of shit. To this day I've only bothered to watch it 5 or 6 times even though nowadays I watch the first 3 on pretty much a monthly basis.


No, it wasn't hated by all. I know this because I liked it a lot when I first saw it and I know a lot of other people that did.

Quote:
I know the prequel is going to be good. If Robin Hood is any indication Ridley is really building up some steam.


You don't know it's going to be good. Just like I don't know it isn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:31 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Riddle me this Batman. Why does Platinum Dunes deserve more of a benefit of the doubt than Ridley Scott? Seriously.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:35 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Floydian Trip wrote:
Riddle me this Batman. Why does Platinum Dunes deserve more of a benefit of the doubt than Ridley Scott? Seriously.


Who said they do? I've seen exactly 4 of their movies. TCM-which was terrible. TCM The Beginning-which was fun if flawed, Friday the 13th-which was a misfire but I didn't have many expectations to begin with and a piece of shit called Horsemen which I watched because I like Denis Quaid.

Ridley Scott gets less of the benefit of the doubt because nothing he's done in recent memory holds a candle to the original Alien and it's been almost 30 years since he has.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:40 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
Riddle me this Batman. Why does Platinum Dunes deserve more of a benefit of the doubt than Ridley Scott? Seriously.


Who said they do? I've seen exactly 4 of their movies. TCM-which was terrible. TCM The Beginning-which was fun if flawed, Friday the 13th-which was a misfire but I didn't have many expectations to begin with and a piece of shit called Horsemen which I watched because I like Denis Quaid.

Ridley Scott gets less of the benefit of the doubt because nothing he's done in recent memory holds a candle to the original Alien and it's been almost 30 years since he has.


Not even a Stanley Kubrick film holds a candle to Alien as far as I'm concerned and I idolize Kubrick. Everytime Platinum Dunes starts making a movie everyone talks about how good it looks and that they're going to see it. Look at the fucking threads for Friday the 13th and NOES and all the comments. Scott gets met with derision every single time. How the fuck would you expect ANYONE to make another Alien or Blade Runner? It will never happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:47 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Who is "everyone"? Maybe some, but the more discerning fans who have been burned by them in the past haven't said anything remotely like that.

You need to consider the fact that Scott has been very, very uneven in his work over the past 30 years. As for expecting him to make movies as great as those two? It's not impossible. Spielberg, who is also incredibly uneven, has made great films throughout his career that are every bit as good as his early work, just in a different way. He has a much better track record than Scott. Tarantino has 6 films under his belt and while some are met with more adoration than others, for the most part they are incredibly well liked by his fans and others.

Scott showed so much promise as a true master of the visual medium that is film. He hasn't made an awe-inspiring, genre-defining film in ages.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:31 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

I guess I'm in the minority then cause I settle for movies that I love. Black Hawk Down is one of the best war films ever made, Gladiator is without a doubt one of the best sword and sandal movies ever made, Kingdom of Heaven is epic, American Gangster is one of the most superb movies of its kind and Robin Hood is far and away the best and most realistic Robin Hood movie ever made and is as epic and enoyable as any of the epic movies of our time. I think all of those movies are great and I watch them often when I get on a Ridley Scott kick.

People bitch about Spielberg too and say he hasn't made a good movie in 10 years, I don't agree with that either I love the majority of films that he's made too. Same goes for Peter Jackson and James Cameron.

I'm just happy as hell that I get to be alive while these guys are making films.

Aside from a few others no other directors even stand out to me. Talk about uneven. Aja, Ti West these are the guys that people get excited about today?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:39 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Floydian Trip wrote:
I guess I'm in the minority then cause I settle for movies that I love. Black Hawk Down is one of the best war films ever made, Gladiator is without a doubt one of the best sword and sandal movies ever made, Kingdom of Heaven is epic, American Gangster is one of the most superb movies of its kind and Robin Hood is far and away the best and most realistic Robin Hood movie ever made and is as epic and enoyable as any of the epic movies of our time. I think all of those movies are great and I watch them often when I get on a Ridley Scott kick.

People bitch about Spielberg too and say he hasn't made a good movie in 10 years, I don't agree with that either I love the majority of films that he's made too. Same goes for Peter Jackson and James Cameron.

I'm just happy as hell that I get to be alive while these guys are making films.

Aside from a few others no other directors even stand out to me. Talk about uneven. Aja, Ti West these are the guys that people get excited about today?


Love Black Hawk Down. It's my favourite war film. Gladiator is incredibly overrated. In fact, it's not even good. And as much as I love American Gangster, it pales when compared to a film like The Godfather. And there is not a single thing about that film that feels like it's a Ridley Scott film. I doubt it would have been much different if Fuqua directed like was originally planned.

As for Jackson, The Lovely Bones was a misstep, even though I don't hate it, it wasn't nearly as good as it should have or could have been. So his record is pretty damned good. Cameron on the other hand, I haven't loved a movie of his since True Lies.

Aja showed great promise with Haute Tension and The Hills Have Eyes, but now he's a remake machine which sucks, but I get that if that's what he's offered and he wants to work that's what he has to do. Ti West? House of the Devil is enough for people to at least take interest in what he has coming next.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:48 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

So when Aja is forced to do a remake it's acceptable but when Rob Zombie is forced to do a remake then he's a scourge on the horror genre? Piranha 3D doesn't exactely look like something he should be proud of and I personally thought The Hills Have Eyes remake can't hold a candle to the original and Haute Tension just plain sucked. It may have been good at first but the twist destroyed the entire movie for me and made it impossibly far fetched. Even Scream was more plausable than that movie.

Most people I talk to think the only good thing PJ has ever done is The Lord of the Ring's. They completely dismiss King Kong. I have to say that while I expect to feel that only Kubrick never mafe a bad movie in his entire career, I have yet to not love a Peter Jackson film but I don't think he's infallable. I also don't ever expect him to make anything as great as The Lord of the Ring's again for many reasons.

I don't mean to be melodramatic here but I honestly feel very fortunate to be alive to see Scott, Cameron, Jackson, Spielberg, Del Toro and John Carpenter making movies and being able to see them in the theatre. I just won't miss a single one of their movies. I also don't see any up and comers that will be able to fill any of their shoes. Neil Marshall might be the closest and youngest and Centurion will be very telling although I'm kind of concerned that Centurion won't be able to live up to the epic scale of Robin Hood to be honest but I do love Neil.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:55 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Floydian Trip wrote:
So when Aja is forced to do a remake it's acceptable but when Rob Zombie is forced to do a remake then he's a scourge on the horror genre? Piranha 3D doesn't exactely look like something he should be proud of and I personally thought The Hills Have Eyes remake can't hold a candle to the original and Haute Tension just plain sucked. It may have been good at first but the twist destroyed the entire movie for me and made it impossibly far fetched. Even Scream was more plausable than that movie.


Who said it was acceptable? In fact, I would say it's disappointing and me saying "he showed promise" pretty much denotes my disappointment. I couldn't care less if Zombie makes remakes. His movies are terrible because of his "writing".

Quote:
Most people I talk to think the only good thing PJ has ever done is The Lord of the Ring's. They completely dismiss King Kong. I have to say that while I expect to feel that only Kubrick never mafe a bad movie in his entire career, I have yet to not love a Peter Jackson film but I don't think he's infallable. I also don't ever expect him to make anything as great as The Lord of the Ring's again for many reasons.


You need to realize that "most people you talk to" is not the world, and while I absolutely LOVE King Kong, it's not without flaws, and it's certainly not as good as Lord of the Rings. It IS the best thing he's done but it's still early.

Quote:
I don't mean to be melodramatic here but I honestly feel very fortunate to be alive to see Scott, Cameron, Jackson, Spielberg, Del Toro and John Carpenter making movies and being able to see them in the theatre. I just won't miss a single one of their movies. I also don't see any up and comers that will be able to fill any of their shoes. Neil Marshall might be the closest and youngest and Centurion will be very telling although I'm kind of concerned that Centurion won't be able to live up to the epic scale of Robin Hood to be honest but I do love Neil.


Carpenter? Really? He hasn't made a good movie in over 20 years. Not even close. And I don't mean something watchable, that doesn't count. His best days are LONG behind him so I couldn't care less if he makes another movie. He's made one disappointing piece of shit after another.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:00 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

I'm pretty sure if you read the book John Carpenter: The Prince of Darkness that you'd think differently. It changed my whole view on the latter half of his career and I cannot wait for The Ward. I gaurantee it'll be a better horror film than anything Platinum fucking Dunes ever produces while it's still in existance but hopefully they'll go under or burn down or be caught in a hurricane or some other natural disaster that will kill everyone involved with the studio. A man can dream.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:03 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Floydian Trip wrote:
I'm pretty sure if you read the book John Carpenter: The Prince of Darkness that you'd think differently. It changed my whole view on the latter half of his career and I cannot wait for The Ward. I gaurantee it'll be a better horror film than anything Platinum fuckinf Dunes ever produces while it's still in existance but hopefully they'll go under or burn down or be caught in a hurricane or some other natural disaster that will kill eveyone involved with the studio. A man can dream.


How would reading a book make me not think his movies have sucked? The movies are bad. I don't need any ancillary book about him to make me see the movie, in whole, is terrible. That's ridiculous. And sorry, but Friday the 13th is a million times better than Ghosts of Mars. And Friday the 13th itself isn't very good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:11 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
I'm pretty sure if you read the book John Carpenter: The Prince of Darkness that you'd think differently. It changed my whole view on the latter half of his career and I cannot wait for The Ward. I gaurantee it'll be a better horror film than anything Platinum fuckinf Dunes ever produces while it's still in existance but hopefully they'll go under or burn down or be caught in a hurricane or some other natural disaster that will kill eveyone involved with the studio. A man can dream.


How would reading a book make me not think his movies have sucked? The movies are bad. I don't need any ancillary book about him to make me see the movie, in whole, is terrible. That's ridiculous. And sorry, but Friday the 13th is a million times better than Ghosts of Mars. And Friday the 13th itself isn't very good.


Ghosts of Mars is original and enjoyable. Platinum Dunes can't even trace well enough to make a complete and total ripoff like Friday the 13th remake even passable. I would say they are creatively bankrupt but they never had any creativity to begin with.

Ghost House Pictures is next to be destroyed by an act of God and then I think Dark Castle should have its turn. If all these horrible studios are wiped off the face of the Earth then Hollywood will have no choice but to start making good horror films again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:15 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 4360
Location: NYC baby!

Ghost House has some good movies. Drag Me To Hell is a particular standout. Hollywood will never be forced to do anything so if you think that "reality" hinges on the death of these studios, you need to find a new hobby and genre to be interested in. Do you read what you type? You're way too old to have such an extreme point of view.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:25 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Ghost House has some good movies. Drag Me To Hell is a particular standout. Hollywood will never be forced to do anything so if you think that "reality" hinges on the death of these studios, you need to find a new hobby and genre to be interested in. Do you read what you type? You're way too old to have such an extreme point of view.


I'm not too old to have that point of view, I'm old enough to know better. I'm old enough to remember sitting in the theatre year after year and watching the horror films that today are considered classics. I think you're too old to accept this crap and somehow try to convince yourself that they are good movies. But I digress.

One thing I didn't mention and haven't seen any critic mention is how badass the end credit sequence is in Robin Hood.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Dread Central Forum Index -> Out of Genre Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum