FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Lost season six
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

I'm gonna say Hurley can actually see ghosts, as he has done it off the island as well.

whether that means every ghost he has seen ON the island has been an actual ghost or old smoky is up to speculation...
David
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

EvilRex wrote:
Tying this in, I'm looking at the idea that based on the "rules" the island or the MIB can not kill the Canidates, so has there been moments in past episodes where the Monster has manipulated the situation in an attempt to have the canidates killed.

One episode that comes to mind is the Season 2 Hurley episode, "Dave", in which Hurley's imaginary "friend" tries to convince Hurley that the island was all in his head and he should just throw himself off a cliff to bring himself back to reality. We have yet to get confiramtion, but I'd wager that the MIB was actually Dave and was trying to trick Hurley into suicide to get rid of one of the canidates.

Any one else have any examples?

I'd say that Dave was definitely Smokey in that episode and Hurley was being tricked. A couple episodes ago Smokey said he was only leading Jack to water early on but Jack damn near fell off a cliff as he was trailing what he thought was his dad, so I'd say MIB has been trying to knock off a few candidates all along.

Hurley also sees ghosts. Ilanna said that MIB is locked in his John Locke form ever since Jacob died. Michael's ghost appeared to Hurley and told him what to do but that sure didn't turn out well, did it? Why would ghost Michael tell Hurley people would die if they kept on their current path? A hell of a lot of people died when Hurley followed his instructions…Is Michael a trapped spirit that sided with the MIB so he can also escape with him? Ghost Jacob told Hurley he had to save Sayid by taking him to the temple and that did turn out to be the right thing to do. By the way, Hurley weeping on the beach now jumps to the lead of the most depressing Lost moments.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

David wrote:
EvilRex wrote:
Tying this in, I'm looking at the idea that based on the "rules" the island or the MIB can not kill the Canidates, so has there been moments in past episodes where the Monster has manipulated the situation in an attempt to have the canidates killed.

One episode that comes to mind is the Season 2 Hurley episode, "Dave", in which Hurley's imaginary "friend" tries to convince Hurley that the island was all in his head and he should just throw himself off a cliff to bring himself back to reality. We have yet to get confiramtion, but I'd wager that the MIB was actually Dave and was trying to trick Hurley into suicide to get rid of one of the canidates.

Any one else have any examples?

I'd say that Dave was definitely Smokey in that episode and Hurley was being tricked. A couple episodes ago Smokey said he was only leading Jack to water early on but Jack damn near fell off a cliff as he was trailing what he thought was his dad, so I'd say MIB has been trying to knock off a few candidates all along.

Hurley also sees ghosts. Ilanna said that MIB is locked in his John Locke form ever since Jacob died. Michael's ghost appeared to Hurley and told him what to do but that sure didn't turn out well, did it? Why would ghost Michael tell Hurley people would die if they kept on their current path? A hell of a lot of people died when Hurley followed his instructions…Is Michael a trapped spirit that sided with the MIB so he can also escape with him? Ghost Jacob told Hurley he had to save Sayid by taking him to the temple and that did turn out to be the right thing to do. By the way, Hurley weeping on the beach now jumps to the lead of the most depressing Lost moments.

Was Michael trying to get Hurley to lead the rest of his group to the MIB, or was he warning Hurley to not mess with the unstable dynanmite? It goes back to the rules that Smokey cannot directly kill the canidates, but through other means (like accidents) they can be killed.

It would be cool to see how possibly Boone, Shannon, Ana Lucia, Libby, Michael, Ecko and others could have been canidates at one time as well.
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:05 pm  Reply with quote

tonight's episode looks amazing and I won't be able to see it until Friday or Saturday... weep for me, people... weep
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:46 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

I'll probably give the episode another watch before next week's, to see if maybe my expectations ruined the first go-round, but as of right now I'm inclined to say it was a pretty fucking huge disappointment.
Myer's Son
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
I'll probably give the episode another watch before next week's, to see if maybe my expectations ruined the first go-round, but as of right now I'm inclined to say it was a pretty fucking huge disappointment.

I expected something different than what was shown last night. I still think it was a good episode, not great. I did like the revelation of who are "Adam and Eve", other than that, next week episode better be huuuuge!
David
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

I liked the episode okay but it sure didn't blow me away like I expected it would. I think back to all the wild, crazy and ultimately incorrect theories we've come up with over the years and the actual story was kind of a letdown in comparison. This was going to be a problem for me no matter how they wrote the episode, I think. It was cool to find out who Adam and Eve turned out to be, though, and I will definitely re-watch it before next week. What struck me as odd was that Jacob was just blindly following a crazy lady. I side with The Man with No Name in this episode.

Anyway, I think I now have enough info about the island mythology to suit me: the magic light cave, the rules, and the relationship between MIB and Jacob and their game. I think it's better if they leave it as it is right now and they let the viewer fit the pieces together instead of having more wonky exposition.

The return to the devastated castaways and their final solution to the MIB problem had better be outstanding in order to bring this great series to a close. *Fingers crossed for a knockout finale!*
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:33 am  Reply with quote

David wrote:
What struck me as odd was that Jacob was just blindly following a crazy lady. I side with The Man with No Name in this episode.

Not sure why this is odd. It's exactly what Jacob has been asking his followers to do throughout the entirety of the show. The MIB has always been someone who tries to use rationale and logic to manipulate because it's easier than blind faith which is what Jacob does. It made perfect sense.
David
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
David wrote:
What struck me as odd was that Jacob was just blindly following a crazy lady. I side with The Man with No Name in this episode.

Not sure why this is odd. It's exactly what Jacob has been asking his followers to do throughout the entirety of the show. The MIB has always been someone who tries to use rationale and logic to manipulate because it's easier than blind faith which is what Jacob does. It made perfect sense.

That's true. Every character I thought would know something about the nature of the island hasn't known a thing. Ben, Richard, Doegan, Desmond...They were all just pushing their respective buttons without ever having a clue. I was just thinking that the big origin story would finally show the caretaker of the island as someone that knows something or at least portray him as someone who can ask a decent question. The god of the island is just another dupe. Crazy mom's origin story would reveal another person that's just blindly following orders. I'm not complaining and it makes thematic sense. I just thought it would go down differently.

This takes man of science vs. man of faith to the highest power. Can Jack combine science and faith to finally give the island the caretaker it deserves? I'm hoping this is how it turns out or else maybe they'll all just turn their backs on the island Kool-aid jug.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

I think this episode would fit in better in the first quarter of the season. Seemed to create too much of a halt to the rising tension after The Canidate, and it really didn't take the story as deep into the mythology as much as I think it should have.
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

I liked the last episode a lot, but... really? all of this is happening because of some nut job lady? fuck her, fuck her with a chainsaw!
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:18 am  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

Pretty huge episode, last night. Hurley recognizing Ana-Lucia was pretty awesome, as was Des finally getting to beat some sense into Ben Linus. I can't fucking wait for Sunday.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:31 am  Reply with quote

Great episode all around. Excellent set up for for the finale.

Although I think Jack's unhesitant volunterring and Jacob's accepting seems to be a red herring. Way too quick and too easy.

Plus, as Jacob says, it's just a "line of chalk" on a wall. So that means, everyone is still in the game to be next protector. I'm still holding out for Locke. I think he was truly ment to take the mantle. So when this sideways universe merges back with the actual, I think it'll be Locke.

Where'd Miles go?

And, fucking Ben! Fucking classic Ben! "He doesn't get to save his daughter." Awesome.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

Parent issues are a huge theme in the Lost universe. I am hoping that as the show closes out this week, some of these themes come full circle:

Jack -- always trying and failing to prove himself as an equal to Christian. Costs his father his career, possible leading to him drinking himself to death.

Locke -- always trying to form a relationship with his father, Anthony Cooper, only to get suckered and duped at every turn. Cost him his relationship with Helen and his ability to walk (should have been his life if not for Jacob).
-- also, Locke had a crazy mother. After "Across the Sea" I appreciate the exchange between Kate and Evil-Locke a few episods back about him having a "crazy" mother and his fear for Aaron to deal with the same experience. It can now be interpetted as both alluding to real Locke's mom or MIB/Jacob's Mom.

Kate -- raised to believe her actual father was her step-father. Abused by him, eventually murdering him.
-- Mom couldn't forgive Kate for killing her abusive husband. Tried to turn her in to the police on more than one occasion.

Sawyer -- after being duped and cuckolded by Anthony Cooper, Ford Sr. takes the life of his wife and his own; witnessed by his son.

Jin -- ashamed of his father's "status" as a fisherman, turns his back on his family in order to prove himself to his wife's father.

Sun -- always living under the strict thumb of her wealthy and powerful father.

Hurley -- father abandons him and his mom at a young age.

Sayid -- from an early age, his father saw in him the ability to do the "hard" things for the family; a sign of him becoming the man of cold cruelity.

Ben -- abusive father always blamed him for his mother's death at childbirth; eventually kills his father.

Miles -- another abandonment issue

Jacob -- crazy Mom who showed more affection toward his brother and eventually made JAcob her second choice for Island guardian; witnesses her murder by his brother, leading him to a rage that kills his brother and unlocks the monster.

I find it interesting is that Jacob's primary issue was with his Mother and then eventually his brother and the Canidates all have issues primarily with their fathers. I wonder if there may be something more there.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:27 pm  Reply with quote

The more I think about the more unimpressed I am with things we've been getting. It really is apparent that this was being made up as the went along. Like they had simple goal and added and added things as they went along and didnt think about having to tie everything up.