Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Blade Runner
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

Is Deckard a replicant?
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Does the pope protect pedophile priests from prosecution and wear a funny hat? The answer is YES!
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, Deckard is a replicant. The origami unicorn at the end is what seals it for me, because it shows that that guy knows about his dream, even though Deckard never mentioned it to anyone, similar to how Deckard knew all of Rachel's memories. Not to mention, the famous line, "it's a shame she won't live, but then again, who does?" That certainly alludes to the fact the he's a replicant without flat out saying it.

It's all left really vague, and you have to dig to find it, but yeah, it's there.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

Laughing

Do you think it's not quite as ambiguous as maybe Ridley had intended? I mean "You've done a mans job sir but are you sure you're a man", the reflective eyes, the unicorn. Are these all dead giveaways? I've talked to people about this movie in the past who feel differently.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
Yes, Deckard is a replicant. The origami unicorn at the end is what seals it for me, because it shows that that guy knows about his dream, even though Deckard never mentioned it to anyone, similar to how Deckard knew all of Rachel's memories. Not to mention, the famous line, "it's a shame she won't live, but then again, who does?" That certainly alludes to the fact the he's a replicant without flat out saying it.

It's all left really vague, and you have to dig to find it, but yeah, it's there.

It's definitely there to think about but I never thought that line was alluding to Deckard being a replicant. Rachel was only going to live another 3 years or maybe she was different and had a longer lifespan.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:

It's definitely there to think about but I never thought that line was alluding to Deckard being a replicant. Rachel was only going to live another 3 years or maybe she was different and had a longer lifespan.

I think it's a bit open to interpretation. It's definitely talking about Rachel, but recently I've been considering it as talking about Deckard as well, especially the "who does?" part at the end.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:

I think it's a bit open to interpretation. It's definitely talking about Rachel, but recently I've been considering it as talking about Deckard as well, especially the "who does?" part at the end.

Oh yeah, definitely could be so. Tyrell was supposed to be a replicant as well and I'm not quite sure why he took that out but maybe it would have been too easy to say that everyone could have been a replicant at that point. Was Rachel a Nexus 6nlike the others or was she a whole nother evolutionary step?
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:

Oh yeah, definitely could be so. Tyrell was supposed to be a replicant as well and I'm not quite sure why he took that out but maybe it would have been too easy to say that everyone could have been a replicant at that point. Was Rachel a Nexus 6nlike the others or was she a whole nother evolutionary step?

I'm not sure. I don't get the feeling that she was a Nexus 6. I really need to get around to reading the book.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:

I'm not sure. I don't get the feeling that she was a Nexus 6. I really need to get around to reading the book.

I saw a graphic novel of 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' at the bookstore a couple of weeks ago and almost picked it up. I read it a long time ago and it's all incredibly fuzzy now.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

The book is substantially different than the movie. It's been a long time since I read it but Deckard is a replicant.

I don't know that he is in the movie. I guess in the directors cut the dream of the unicorn is supposed to say he is. I think it's better he's human. That the wish for more life or a better life goes beyond the programed life-span of a replicant and applies to everyone. And that really this hope is just a fantasy (the off-world colonies, the towers, the advertsing blimp etc) and the best you can do is take what you can when you can.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

Gus Bjork wrote:
The book is substantially different than the movie. It's been a long time since I read it but Deckard is a replicant.

I don't know that he is in the movie. I guess in the directors cut the dream of the unicorn is supposed to say he is. I think it's better he's human. That the wish for more life or a better life goes beyond the programed life-span of a replicant and applies to everyone. And that really this hope is just a fantasy (the off-world colonies, the towers, the advertsing blimp etc) and the best you can do is take what you can when you can.

Yeah, you can't really compare the book to the movie very much. The very first script written for it, which was called something really horrible at the time and not Blade Runner, had the whole thing taking place in just a couple of rooms.

The arguments for Deckard being human are just as good for him being a replicant. I can really see it both ways.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

In the 'who would you be in a movie' thread I almost wrote that I would be Holden, the Blade Runner shot in the opening. My cousin and I snuck in to a showing after seeing Poultergeist (I think it was Poultergeist) having no expectation or knowledge of what it would be beyond Harrison 'Han Solo' Ford in a sci-fi movie. It ended up being one of the most profound movie experiences I ever had. In a weird sort of way it's kind of led to some career choices I've made and continue to make over the years.

Do you ever see the Red Dwarf parody they did on Blade Runner? I think it was the last Red Dwarf episode ever (it was either a movie or 2 parts).
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

I think the movie is even more profound when watching The Final Cut without all that voiceover. Damn brilliant and I also didn't like the ending of the theatrical cut at all with them running off into the beautiful countryside together.

Don't know what Red Dwarf is.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:13 pm  Reply with quote

Recently I realized that we own all 3 versions of Bladerunner in my apartment. I have both the Director's Cut and the Final Cut on DVD, and my roommate just recently found the Theatrical version on VHS.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:20 pm  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
Recently I realized that we own all 3 versions of Bladerunner in my apartment. I have both the Director's Cut and the Final Cut on DVD, and my roommate just recently found the Theatrical version on VHS.

There's also the International Theatrical Cut so there's 4. I do watch them all because they seem so different but definitley prefer The Final Cut.