FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Stephen King's IT
Ryantherebel
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:48 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 135

As I read this book, this might become my favorite King novel that I've read so far. It's much better and complex than the mini-series although I can't help but see Tim Curry being Pennywise in my mind. I'm still reading but despite being a thousand pages long, it moves at a very good pace.

Last edited by Ryantherebel on Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Caterpillar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:38 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 862
Location: Xibalba

It's pretty much the best novel ever if you're 12.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:12 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 9513
Location: There... WOLF!!

Caterpillar wrote:
It's pretty much the best novel ever if you're 12.


That's true. I was about that age when I read it, and I couldn't put it down. Must have read it in about 3 or 4 days.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
theXporcelainXdoll
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:19 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Posts: 12

Caterpillar wrote:
It's pretty much the best novel ever if you're 12.

Hey! i read that when i was 12 TYVM.
since then, i've hated clowns....
except for killer clowns from outerspace.... that movie made me laugh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:59 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 04 Jul 2006
Posts: 477
Location: Australia

There's a constant battle in my head and heart between this and THE STAND as my favourite novel of all time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
A Sound Mind
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:47 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Posts: 5

I first read It when I was in grade school and it's still my favorite King book.
_________________
http://a-sound-mind.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhHfwmTrDws
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlackFlagg
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:01 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 20 Jun 2006
Posts: 9301
Location: Rhode Island

Cash Bailey wrote:
There's a constant battle in my head and heart between this and THE STAND as my favourite novel of all time.
Ditto
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Karloff
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:26 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 15 Mar 2010
Posts: 264

I'll have to go back to it someday. At the time I remember thinking it was wonderfully written, expertly capturing the feelings of youth and not fitting in. All that metaphysical stuff at the end, though, with the turtle and the spider was a bit too much, though, and I thought it ended with a bit of a whimper.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EvilRex
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:58 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1237
Location: ORLANDO

Karloff wrote:
I'll have to go back to it someday. At the time I remember thinking it was wonderfully written, expertly capturing the feelings of youth and not fitting in. All that metaphysical stuff at the end, though, with the turtle and the spider was a bit too much, though, and I thought it ended with a bit of a whimper.


Well, that's Stephen King the epic novelist for ya. One helluva build up, and one helluva a let down. Felt that way about most of his "big" novels, most notably the recent Under the Dome.
_________________
Open your textbooks to the chapter concerning your death.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mephistopheles
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:04 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 29 Dec 2006
Posts: 486

It's probably my favorite SK novel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Karloff
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:06 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 15 Mar 2010
Posts: 264

EvilRex wrote:
Karloff wrote:
I'll have to go back to it someday. At the time I remember thinking it was wonderfully written, expertly capturing the feelings of youth and not fitting in. All that metaphysical stuff at the end, though, with the turtle and the spider was a bit too much, though, and I thought it ended with a bit of a whimper.


Well, that's Stephen King the epic novelist for ya. One helluva build up, and one helluva a let down. Felt that way about most of his "big" novels, most notably the recent Under the Dome.


It's hard to deliver on the ending to a horror story. It's exactly like writing a joke or a comedy routine. Few can do it consistently well. I find short stories tend to end better than long form novels. For me, King's best ending was 'Salem's Lot. My favourite novel of his is The Shining, but I was never that fussed on how it ended.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EvilRex
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:15 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 1237
Location: ORLANDO

Karloff wrote:
EvilRex wrote:
Karloff wrote:
I'll have to go back to it someday. At the time I remember thinking it was wonderfully written, expertly capturing the feelings of youth and not fitting in. All that metaphysical stuff at the end, though, with the turtle and the spider was a bit too much, though, and I thought it ended with a bit of a whimper.


Well, that's Stephen King the epic novelist for ya. One helluva build up, and one helluva a let down. Felt that way about most of his "big" novels, most notably the recent Under the Dome.


It's hard to deliver on the ending to a horror story. It's exactly like writing a joke or a comedy routine. Few can do it consistently well. I find short stories tend to end better than long form novels. For me, King's best ending was 'Salem's Lot. My favourite novel of his is The Shining, but I was never that fussed on how it ended.


I agree that short stories are better able to capture and contain a more pure horror element throughout. Novels tend to require the author to provide some sort relief (or release, depending how you look at it) for the audience.

I am really struggling to find an ending to a Stephen King novel I actually liked. SOME SPOILERS: hated the "hand of God" climax and then too long resolution afterwards in The Stand; hated the sparrows coming from George Stark in The Dark Half; hated the f'ing aliensin Under the Dome. More are starting to come to me, but I could write forever.
_________________
Open your textbooks to the chapter concerning your death.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dark Dreamer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:04 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 9

It is one of my favorite King books, second only to Pet Sematary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Dread Central Forum Index -> Best-cellars

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum