FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Action star retirement community unite! (The Expendables)
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:44 am  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Terminal wrote:

I didn't think it was dumb, I thought it was funny. And I laughed and laughed and laughed. My point was, if you're anxious to know, is that people often look for something that's not there to lend credence to their arguments even over something poor. I've argued with people who defend bad fast food like it's been made by Julia Childs.

You're special, so make the connection.

But again I figure you for a pizza guy, right? What's your favorite topping?

People think Ben Stiller is funny. He's not. I don't look for things that aren't there in First Blood. It's actually there. Like I said, I don't think it's as much a commentary as what it's trying to say is pretty obvious, but I do think it has more substance than any other Rambo film. One of the reasons why it's held up over all this time.

Hey Ben Stiller was hilarious in the Ben Stiller Show! Remember his Springsteen impression? Watch your mouth, son.

And I couldn't disagree more. A cigar is just a cigar. Vietnam was in vogue to set movies in at that time and Sly did it with his film. That doesn't mean it has a social relevance automatically. No sell for this man. No sell.

First Blood wasn't set in Vietnam.

And besides that, First Blood is incredibly atypical for an action movie. There is no clear good guy or bad guy, just a series of gray areas. Sure, most people sympathize with John Rambo, but is he really the good guy of the movie? I mean, he causes a lot of people getting hurt and does a lot of damage for little to no reason. Yeah, the cops were being assholes to him, but he overreacted. The whole thing is about how the war effected him for years after it ended. So without a clear good guy / bad guy scenario, it's not a typical action movie. And besides that, Rambo doesn't kill a single person throughout the course of the entire movie, making him a more interesting and sympathetic character given that it's pretty clear that he could EASILY have killed a lot of them.

And simply writing it off, saying "oh, it's just an action movie," is no better than all of those people who write off plenty of movies saying "oh, it's just a horror movie."
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:

He's a Vietnam War Veteran trying to find his place in the world. Potato Pototo.

nonserviam03 wrote:
And besides that, First Blood is incredibly atypical for an action movie. There is no clear good guy or bad guy, just a series of gray areas. Sure, most people sympathize with John Rambo, but is he really the good guy of the movie? I mean, he causes a lot of people getting hurt and does a lot of damage for little to no reason. Yeah, the cops were being assholes to him, but he overreacted. The whole thing is about how the war effected him for years after it ended. So without a clear good guy / bad guy scenario, it's not a typical action movie. And besides that, Rambo doesn't kill a single person throughout the course of the entire movie, making him a more interesting and sympathetic character given that it's pretty clear that he could EASILY have killed a lot of them.

And simply writing it off, saying "oh, it's just an action movie," is no better than all of those people who write off plenty of movies saying "oh, it's just a horror movie."

Well saying First Blood has social and moral themes is like dissecting "Jason Lives." A cigar is sometimes just a cigar. It's a shoot em up action bonanza, that's it. Trying to add something to it doesn't make it a legitimate look at the struggles of soldiers blah blah whatever you want to inject here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:

He's a Vietnam War Veteran trying to find his place in the world. Potato Pototo.

nonserviam03 wrote:

Well saying First Blood has social and moral themes is like dissecting "Jason Lives." A cigar is sometimes just a cigar. It's a shoot em up action bonanza, that's it. Trying to add something to it doesn't make it a legitimate look at the struggles of soldiers blah blah whatever you want to inject here.

So because you're too short-sighted, we're all wrong for seeing the movie as something more than just a shoot-em-up? That's ridiculous. Anyone can dismiss any movie they feel like it with what they see on the surface.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

So because you're too short-sighted, we're all wrong for seeing the movie as something more than just a shoot-em-up? That's ridiculous. Anyone can dismiss any movie they feel like it with what they see on the surface.

Yep. The Godfather is "just a mobster movie" and The Shawshank Redemption is "just a prison-break movie."
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

Scarface is better than The Godfather.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:07 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:

If this was the first time I'd ever read anything you think I would immediately assume you were joking...Since it's not, I know you're not. And like always, you couldn't be more wrong.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

Laughing "Say hello to my little friend"
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

I wish I could be short-sighted and wrong... oh, wait, I am... yay!
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

Richard Bastard wrote:
I wish I could be short-sighted and wrong... oh, wait, I am... yay!

Yup.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:

this has nothing to do with anything
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

What does any of this have to do with The Expendables?
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Believe it or not, he has a point....for once.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

What does any of this have to do with The Expendables?

Touché
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:10 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:

nonserviam03 wrote:

Bing! He goes for another insult folks! What a champ! Nah, I'm not short sighed, you're just looking too hard for something that simply isn't there. It's cute you want to add importance to Rambo, but give it a rest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

He just says things to rile people up. He has tourette's or something.