Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Kick-Ass
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:48 am  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
LSD Zombie wrote:
Foywonder wrote:
Most overpraised movie in ages. Okay at best, certainly not deserving of the pants jizzing its getting from the fanboy community.
Rolling Eyes Wrong. That label applies more to Iron Man.

Iron Man was actually good.
Never said it wasn't. I was merely making a point that I consider Iron Man to be more overrated than Kick-Ass. The final battle in Iron Man was fucking weak.

My point was the movie was "hyped" because it was good. It deserved it.
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:37 pm  Reply with quote

Nobodaddy wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:
It's a good movie, but a bad adaptation.

I don't know if you could really call it an adaptation. Millar sold the idea to Vaughn before there was a comic series. The script was based on Millar's pitch and his synopsis. I think only the first issue was even done at that point. Wanted was similar in that it went into production before the series was done. At least with Kick-Ass they had a finished story synopsis. The Wanted people had to make shit up to do their film.
Yeah, true. I'd like to know what millar's pitch was like though, to understand how the movie and the comic ended up being so different in tone .

As for people talking about Dave being lame, well... That's the whole point of his character. It's the whole point of the book, really. Everyone turns out to be lame, even the people that don't appear to be at first. I think it was nonserviam03 that talked about how the criminals had more character and were more fleshed out in the movie. He's right, but that's not actually a good thing for this story. In the comic, they were just criminals, not the Kingpin or the Penguin or any kind of super charming gangster ideal, just thugs with guns and greed and no issues with preying on and hurting other humans, like criminals in the real world. The whole series tries to maintain a gritty reality and stick to it's premise of being a real kid in a real world trying to be a hero with real world violence and consequences for that violence. The movie tosses all of that out. We get **MILDLY SPOILERISH** jet packs instead of 6 months of physical therapy and crutches, live webcasts with elaborate kill methods instead of quick, ugly gunshots to the back of the head, heroic speeches instead of sad confessions **NO MORE MILD SPOILERS**. Even though Dave gets more heroized (made that word up) in the movie than he does in the comic, all the real world touches of every other character are tossed completely. I think the reason some people are feeling like he's TOO lame, is because, in the movie version of the story, he kind of is, even in spite of them making him more of a Hollywood hero. He just didn't get a big of a fantastical upgrade as every other character.

In light of that, Ebert kind of has a point, though I'm not a fan of his moralistic tone. The movie really does present the non-playful violence with the playful fantastic spirit of, say, Spider-Man or Iron Man. Shame Ebert won't ever read the comic and review that, because I'm curious if he'd feel the same way about it as he does the movie.

Meh. Fun movie with cool fights and some pretty funny parts, but it could've and should've been so much more.

And I'm rambling.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:12 am  Reply with quote

The whole point of a character in a movie is to be engaging, no matter how "lame" he is. He wasn't interesting or engaging and in a comedy, he wasn't funny.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:31 am  Reply with quote

The whole point of a character in a movie is to be engaging, no matter how "lame" he is. He wasn't interesting or engaging and in a comedy, he wasn't funny.

Nerds aren't interesting to most people. Still, I liked him none the less. I think the scene that made him the most likeable (to me anyway) was the brawl outside of the cafe. He was getting fucking trounced and he had the option to call it quits but he instead took his lumps in order to protect the gang banger.
Emy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:33 am  Reply with quote

Saw Kick-Ass last weekend.

I quite liked it. It should have come with a photosensitivity warning. That scene with the flashers and gunshots... Wow, hello migraine for me. Which is not the worst that could happen from photosensitivity issues.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:20 pm  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:

Nerds aren't interesting to most people. Still, I liked him none the less. I think the scene that made him the most likeable (to me anyway) was the brawl outside of the cafe. He was getting fucking trounced and he had the option to call it quits but he instead took his lumps in order to protect the gang banger.

That's not true at all as far as "nerds". One of the most popular films of the 80's is Revenge of the Nerds and they were stereotypical, cliche nerds. But tons of films have "socially awkward" characters that are quite engaging. He was poorly written. It's that simple. I never read the book, but if he's written the same way, I have no interest. As for the movie, if the character isn't engaging then it's at least 3 people's fault. The writer, the director and the actor.

Yes that scene was good but it had less to do with him that the theme of the scene in general. The underdog will always be a character people root for in film. There is a reason for the archetype and one of the main reasons why Superman has lost his favor with the movie going public in this climate.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:

That's not true at all as far as "nerds". One of the most popular films of the 80's is Revenge of the Nerds and they were stereotypical, cliche nerds. But tons of films have "socially awkward" characters that are quite engaging. He was poorly written. It's that simple. I never read the book, but if he's written the same way, I have no interest. As for the movie, if the character isn't engaging then it's at least 3 people's fault. The writer, the director and the actor.

Yes that scene was good but it had less to do with him that the theme of the scene in general. The underdog will always be a character people root for in film. There is a reason for the archetype and one of the main reasons why Superman has lost his favor with the movie going public in this climate.

In the book (and this is one MAJOR problem I have with the movie), there's a defining moment for Kick-Ass that was altered significantly for the movie. When him and Red Mist go into the burning building, it's different. Rather than going to a warehouse full of thugs, they just happen to be driving by the fire. Instead of Red Mist running in because he knows the people inside, and Kick-Ass saying "Oh I don't know... let's let the cops handles this," the roles are reversed. Red Mist says all of that, and Kick-Ass runs in, saying "COME ON, There's people inside!" It was SUCH a key moment for that character in the comic. It bugs the SHIT out of me that it was changed for the movie.
Styling Shatner
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

Foywonder wrote:
Most overpraised movie in ages. Okay at best, certainly not deserving of the pants jizzing its getting from the fanboy community.

Exactly. I'm not kissing Foy's hindquarters because I've been following him for years now. It's because I thought the same thing when I saw it 9 days ago.

I've written more about it elsewhere (hint, hint) but I didn't care for the story and where it went, and the shakycam action scenes where you can barely make out what's going on.

Then again, I haven't read the comic before... hell, I'm not a fan of comic books in general. Not that I don't enjoy some films based off of comics (Iron Man, the '89 Punisher, Punisher War Zone, The Dark Knight, the first two Superman movies, Spiderman 1 and 2, etc.) It wasn't the actor's fault at all for me not liking the movie; like I said, it was the story and the blur that was the action scenes.

By the way, Vern (an actual good reviewer from the Ain't It Cool website) wrote a very good article on his own webspace and he stated what problems he had with the story of the film, and that mirrors what I thought pretty closely-and I didn't read the review until after I saw the movie-and he said it far better than I could.

http://outlawvern.com/2010/04/20/kick-ass/
X-Count
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:02 am  Reply with quote

Nobodaddy wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:

I don't know if you could really call it an adaptation. Millar sold the idea to Vaughn before there was a comic series. The script was based on Millar's pitch and his synopsis. I think only the first issue was even done at that point. Wanted was similar in that it went into production before the series was done. At least with Kick-Ass they had a finished story synopsis. The Wanted people had to make shit up to do their film.

Wrong about Wanted. Wanted was out loooooooong before (2003-2004) the movie even went into production. Film came out in 2008. There was only six issues.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:43 am  Reply with quote

X-Count wrote:
Nobodaddy wrote:
LivingDeadPunk wrote:

Wrong about Wanted. Wanted was out loooooooong before (2003-2004) the movie even went into production. Film came out in 2008. There was only six issues.

They signed the deal to make Wanted after reading only the first issue though. They started writing the script without any knowledge of issues 2-6.