FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Mo Hayder
Karloff
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:17 pm  Reply with quote

The glut of thriller novelists seems to rival those goddawful real-life tales of childhood misery that began (and should have swiftly ended) with David Peltzer. Check out the book section in your local supermarket next time you're in there - James Paterson wannabees crowd the shelves for space amongst books with titles like Don't Tell Mummy and Daddy's Little Secret. It's an uninspiring collection, for sure.

Finding a genuinely good writer in the thriller genre is a rare occurence. So I was delighted to follow up on a recommendation to read a book called Birdman by Mo Hayder, to find that this was a writer who truly lived up to her hype.

She has a great grasp of character, writes believable dialogue and, most importantly, she really delivers when it comes to material which is disturbing, gory and downright bloody scary. For lovers of thrillers that don't pull any punches, I say you should check out her work.
Verdugo
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:34 am  Reply with quote

I LOVE Mo Hayder. When you have so many crime novels that follow the "hot single/divorced cop tracks fiendish serial killer of hot women and falls in love with hot guy" template, Hayder's books are a real breath of fresh air. All her books are really grim stuff, with characters who are all broken in some way, and killers who are evil incarnate, but they're all great reads.

Have you checked out the others in the series, The Treatment and Ritual? The Treatment may be even better than Birdman, mainly because of the greater look into Caffrey's past.

Her stand alone book, Pig Island, is a fun quasi-supernatural/mystery, with a great ending.
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:06 am  Reply with quote

Oh, hell yeah!! She rules.

Her novel 'Tokyo' absolutely blew my mind. It's one of the most haunting and gripping books I've ever read.
Karloff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

Verdugo wrote:
I LOVE Mo Hayder. When you have so many crime novels that follow the "hot single/divorced cop tracks fiendish serial killer of hot women and falls in love with hot guy" template, Hayder's books are a real breath of fresh air. All her books are really grim stuff, with characters who are all broken in some way, and killers who are evil incarnate, but they're all great reads.

Have you checked out the others in the series, The Treatment and Ritual? The Treatment may be even better than Birdman, mainly because of the greater look into Caffrey's past.

Her stand alone book, Pig Island, is a fun quasi-supernatural/mystery, with a great ending.

I'm picking up Ritual, Pig Island and The Treatment this Friday as it goes. I want to know what happens in Caffrey's life in the follow-up to Birdman and I've had lots of recommendations to read The Treatment.

I just think some of her ideas are ingenious.
Karloff
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:16 am  Reply with quote

Well, the bargain-tastic offer that I saw in Asda's book aisle ended last week, so I only came away with Pig Island (spent the rest of my cash on flowers for the wfie - old romantic that I am).

First impressions are of a story which seems inspired by The Wicker Man and Ramsey Campbell's Hungry Moon. So, far, it's a good read and I suspect there are great horrors just around the corner. Mo's attempt at writing as a Liverpudlian, though, doesn't come off so well and I have to wonder if Mo even knows anyone from The City. No Scouser, for example, would ever use the phrase "Self-Pity City" to describe their hometown.
Cash Bailey
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:37 am  Reply with quote

Her novel TOKYO has been released in the US as THE DEVIL OF NANKING.

Check it out. It'll fuck you up. In a good way.
Karloff
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

Ta. I've got a few reads to get through at the moment. When I'm done with them I'll be on the look out for more Mo.