FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Kick-Ass
kiddcapone
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

I liked the movie a lot. I didn't read the comic, I have no intentions on ever doing so, but as a movie, I was highly entertained. Yes, many of the scenes with Kick-Ass were boring, but Hit Girl made the movie.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:40 am  Reply with quote

Kick-Ass

BY ROGER EBERT / April 14, 2010

Cast & CreditsDave/Kick-Ass Aaron Johnson
Damon/Big Daddy Nicolas Cage
Mindy/Hit Girl Chloe Grace Moretz
Chris/Red Mist Christopher Mintz-Plasse
Frank D'Amico Mark Strong
Big Joe Michael Rispoli

Lionsgate presents a film directed by Matthew Vaughn. Written by Jane Goldman and Vaughn, based on the comic book by Mark Millar and John S. Romita Jr. Running time: 117 minutes. Rated R (for strong, brutal violence throughout, pervasive language, sexual content, nudity and drug use — occasionally involving children).

Shall I have feelings, or should I pretend to be cool? Will I seem hopelessly square if I find “Kick-Ass” morally reprehensible and will I appear to have missed the point? Let's say you're a big fan of the original comic book, and you think the movie does it justice. You know what? You inhabit a world I am so very not interested in. A movie camera makes a record of whatever is placed in front of it, and in this case, it shows deadly carnage dished out by an 11-year-old girl, after which an adult man brutally hammers her to within an inch of her life. Blood everywhere. Now tell me all about the context.

The movie's premise is that ordinary people, including a high school kid, the 11-year-old and her father, try to become superheroes in order to punish evil men. The flaw in this premise is that the little girl does become a superhero. In one scene, she faces a hallway jammed with heavily armed gangsters and shoots, stabs and kicks them all to death, while flying through the air with such power, it's enough to make Jackie Chan take out an AARP membership.

This isn't comic violence. These men, and many others in the film, are really stone-cold dead. And the 11-year-old apparently experiences no emotions about this. Many children that age would be, I dunno, affected somehow, don't you think, after killing eight or 12 men who were trying to kill her?

I know, I know. This is a satire. But a satire of what? The movie's rated R, which means in this case that it's doubly attractive to anyone under 17. I'm not too worried about 16-year-olds here. I'm thinking of 6-year-olds. There are characters here with walls covered in carefully mounted firearms, ranging from handguns through automatic weapons to bazookas. At the end, when the villain deliciously anticipates blowing a bullet hole in the child's head, he is prevented only because her friend, in the nick of time, shoots him with bazooka shell at 10-foot range and blows him through a skyscraper window and across several city blocks of sky in a projectile of blood, flame and smoke. As I often read on the Internet: Hahahahaha.

The little girl is named Mindy (Chloe Grace Moretz). She adopts the persona of Hit Girl. She has been trained by her father, Big Daddy (Nicolas Cage), to join him in the battle against a crime boss (Mark Strong). Her training includes being shot at point-blank range while wearing a bulletproof vest. She also masters the martial arts — more, I would say, than any other movie martial artist of any age I can recall. She's gifted with deadly knife-throwing; a foot-long knife was presented to her by Dad as, I guess, a graduation present.

Big Daddy and Mindy never have a chat about, you know, stuff like how when you kill people, they are really dead. This movie regards human beings like video-game targets. Kill one, and you score. They're dead, you win. When kids in the age range of this movie's home video audience are shooting one another every day in America, that kind of stops being funny.

Hit Girl teams up with Kick-Ass (Aaron Johnson), the film's narrator, a lackluster high school kid who lives vicariously through comic books. For reasons tedious to explain, he orders a masked costume by mail order and sets about trying to behave as a superhero, which doesn't work out well. He lacks the training of a Big Daddy. But as he and Hit Girl find themselves fighting side by side, he turns into a quick learner. Also, you don't need to be great at hand-to-hand combat if you can just shoot people dead.

The early scenes give promise of an entirely different comedy. Aaron Johnson has a certain anti-charm, his problems in high school are engaging, and so on. A little later, I reflected that possibly only Nic Cage could seem to shoot a small girl point-blank and make it, well, funny. Say what you will about her character, but Chloe Grace Moretz has presence and appeal. Then the movie moved into dark, dark territory, and I grew sad.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:54 am  Reply with quote

I really dislike his review of this movie. It's one of those times when his misguided moral bias comes through.
ajburton29
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:00 am  Reply with quote

I saw it on Friday and fucking loved it.
Went back Sunday and saw it again.
Going back again later this week to see it a third time.
Hit Girl is fucking amazing. She totally steals the film.
My friends at work didn't go see it because they thought it was a stupid comedy from the TV commercials.
Foywonder
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:57 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Most overpraised movie in ages. Okay at best, certainly not deserving of the pants jizzing its getting from the fanboy community.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:05 pm  Reply with quote

Foywonder wrote:
Most overpraised movie in ages. Okay at best, certainly not deserving of the pants jizzing its getting from the fanboy community.
Rolling Eyes Wrong. That label applies more to Iron Man.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:26 pm  Reply with quote

I was never into comics or superhero's but even I recognized how awesome Iron Man is and 2 looks like it could end up being even better or they could overdue it and screw it up.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:35 am  Reply with quote

Foywonder wrote:

I almost agree with this, though I think I liked it more than Foy. The Kick-Ass character was dull and uninteresting, and the CGI was horribly bad. I figure you can't have squibs around 11 year olds, but it still looked awful. Fun movie, but nothing outstanding. Waiting for Iron Man 2 to sedate my comic movie itch.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:15 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
I was never into comics or superhero's but even I recognized how awesome Iron Man is and 2 looks like it could end up being even better or they could overdue it and screw it up.

Don't worry, they won't screw it up until the third one. In fact, Iron Man 2 will probably be better than Iron Man was.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:40 am  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
Foywonder wrote:

I almost agree with this, though I think I liked it more than Foy. The Kick-Ass character was dull and uninteresting, and the CGI was horribly bad. I figure you can't have squibs around 11 year olds, but it still looked awful. Fun movie, but nothing outstanding. Waiting for Iron Man 2 to sedate my comic movie itch.
Not once did the CGI blood spurts distract me. Most likely because the action scenes with Hit-Girl were so jaw-droppingly bad-ass in their style and execution.
ajburton29
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:01 am  Reply with quote

I had fun watching Kick-Ass.
That hasn't happened in so long.
It's worth it to me to see it a 3rd time.
I need to order the comic ASAP.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:05 am  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
Foywonder wrote:

Iron Man was actually good.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:40 am  Reply with quote

ajburton29 wrote:
I had fun watching Kick-Ass.
That hasn't happened in so long.
It's worth it to me to see it a 3rd time.
I need to order the comic ASAP.

do so. The comic is... different. It's grittier.
And there's a couple of things that are executed much better.
Nobodaddy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

Location: Munyeca. Yo te ciaro. Yo te ciaro Ohio. Muy bonito.

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
It's a good movie, but a bad adaptation.

I don't know if you could really call it an adaptation. Millar sold the idea to Vaughn before there was a comic series. The script was based on Millar's pitch and his synopsis. I think only the first issue was even done at that point. Wanted was similar in that it went into production before the series was done. At least with Kick-Ass they had a finished story synopsis. The Wanted people had to make shit up to do their film.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
LSD Zombie wrote:
Foywonder wrote:

Iron Man was actually good.
Never said it wasn't. I was merely making a point that I consider Iron Man to be more overrated than Kick-Ass. The final battle in Iron Man was fucking weak.