FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Joss Whedon To Direct The Avengers (And Rewrite The Script)
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:23 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Nuff of all that jazz,

Let's get back on topic.
X-Count
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:48 pm  Reply with quote

I'm actually kinda hoping it stays a rumor. They need to get Jon Favreau to do it. Never watched Angel. Seen some of Buffy, but it just never interested me. Bored me actually. I did see the Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog. It was alright, but it was too short. But the main question a lot of people should ask is, why are they wanting to hand such a big project to a guy that's mostly only directed for TV, outside of Serenity? Seems too risky, I think. If he would have to be attached to it, I'd rather it be in a writing or producing position, moreso than a directing one.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

X-Count wrote:
I'm actually kinda hoping it stays a rumor. They need to get Jon Favreau to do it. Never watched Angel. Seen some of Buffy, but it just never interested me. Bored me actually. I did see the Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog. It was alright, but it was too short. But the main question a lot of people should ask is, why are they wanting to hand such a big project to a guy that's mostly only directed for TV, outside of Serenity? Seems too risky, I think. If he would have to be attached to it, I'd rather it be in a writing or producing position, moreso than a directing one.

I second Favreau.
Let's face it, you don't need an exceptional director for these types of movies. Don't get me wrong, you need a good one, but even Scorsese can't make a comic movie better. They are not about getting nuanced performances out of the actors, setting a tense or dramatic mood or long panoramic shot that induce tranquility. It's about showing the action. It's about getting the script to screen with minimal studio tampering. So Favreau, Noland, Rami or even Joss would do just fine. As long as the studio keeps their fat, sausage-like fingers out of it (like Spider-Man 3).
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
X-Count wrote:

I second Favreau.
Let's face it, you don't need an exceptional director for these types of movies. Don't get me wrong, you need a good one, but even Scorsese can't make a comic movie better. They are not about getting nuanced performances out of the actors, setting a tense or dramatic mood or long panoramic shot that induce tranquility. It's about showing the action. It's about getting the script to screen with minimal studio tampering. So Favreau, Noland, Rami or even Joss would do just fine. As long as the studio keeps their fat, sausage-like fingers out of it (like Spider-Man 3).

I'm kinda surprised that you said this because it's kind of ridiculous. We have factual proof that good directors make these movies better and bad directors make them worse and you think that it doesn't make much of a difference?

Setting your base level that low leaves the door open for people like Bret Ratner. A good director will use those "nuanced performances" and "panaormaic shots" with the action to make a film that is actually good. But who wants that. Bret Ratner showed the action, right? And the lesser the director, the more studio interference which surprises the shit out of me that Raimi got so fucked on Spider-man 3.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
frank_dracman wrote:
X-Count wrote:

I second Favreau.

I'm kinda surprised that you said this because it's kind of ridiculous. We have factual proof that good directors make these movies better and bad directors make them worse and you think that it doesn't make much of a difference?

Setting your base level that low leaves the door open for people like Bret Ratner. A good director will use those "nuanced performances" and "panaormaic shots" with the action to make a film that is actually good. But who wants that. Bret Ratner showed the action, right? And the lesser the director, the more studio interference which surprises the shit out of me that Raimi got so fucked on Spider-man 3.

Looks like you just reiterated most of my post. We need good directors, and I think we can all agree Ratner doesn't fall on that side of the fence.

These are comic movies. The general public knows what it wants to see. The studios know what we want to see. Comic movies have gotten better as of late, and that's no coincidence. Better scripts, better direction and more care have made the genre popular. The formula works, and I can't see that changing anytime soon. These Marvel movies are money sponges and they are going to keep them similar in tone and theme for as long as they can. So the director, as long as he's good and competent, will do just fine.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
frank_dracman wrote:
X-Count wrote:

I second Favreau.

Looks like you just reiterated most of my post. We need good directors, and I think we can all agree Ratner doesn't fall on that side of the fence.

These are comic movies. The general public knows what it wants to see. The studios know what we want to see. Comic movies have gotten better as of late, and that's no coincidence. Better scripts, better direction and more care have made the genre popular. The formula works, and I can't see that changing anytime soon. These Marvel movies are money sponges and they are going to keep them similar in tone and theme for as long as they can. So the director, as long as he's good and competent, will do just fine.

Ratner isn't incompetent. He's just bland and has no vision. He's a studio machine. These good comic movies have been this way because they have directors who are far more than competent.

Last edited by Didn't See It Coming on Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
frank_dracman wrote:
X-Count wrote:

I second Favreau.

*cough*Wolverine*cough*

just saying... not every superhero movie is good now, but yeah, on average they have improved tenfold.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:

*cough*Wolverine*cough*

just saying... not every superhero movie is good now, but yeah, on average they have improved tenfold.

You just have to come in and throw a turd on our picnic, don't yah? Rolling Eyes
I do believe that is one of the worst comic movies ever. Yes, I'd rather watch both Fantastic Four movies and Daredevil than sit through that one again.

You have to admit, Watchmen is one of the best comic movies ever made, and a perfect example of a great script being treated with utmost care and respect.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
You have to admit, Watchmen is one of the best comic movies ever made, and a perfect example of a great script being treated with utmost care and respect.

Yes

especially the 3.5 hour version.