FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Kick-Ass
MethRattle
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

Couldn't find a thread to post this trailer in. It's apparently the first of a seires of trailers to focus on one character from the film.This one is a red-band trailer for Hit-Girl. I love it, it's so demented.

"Kick-Ass" Hit-Girl trailer
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:02 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Hearing a little girl call someone a cunt is probably my favorite thing that has happened all day.

I cannot wait for this movie.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:57 pm  Reply with quote

That actress has got some impressive action moves for being just 11 or 12. I also love the choice of music...the Banana Splits have never been so bad-ass.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:23 am  Reply with quote

All of the talking heads at Faux News will explode once they get wind of this movie. It's going to be awesome!
Terminal
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:53 am  Reply with quote

I was already planning to see this, but that Hit Girl trailer completely sold me on the movie.

I'm sure she's going to steal this movie away.

Chloe Moretz is a talented actress and she's simply going to rock this movie hard.

I can't wait!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:27 am  Reply with quote

Nic Cage is a watchable movie? It's so crazy it just might work!
arandomthought
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:33 am  Reply with quote

This is the first time I've known about nicolas cage being in this movie. Meh, fuck him...the movies going to be kick-ass:D
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:59 am  Reply with quote

I was ecstatic when I left the theater after seeing this. Hit Girl was fantastic, it was fun as hell, funny, and they really managed to get across some of those feelings of triumph when Kick-Ass has his first success.

But...

Some of the changes they made from the comic were nagging at me. Just little ways they rearranged the sequence of things in the story that lessened the impact of certain moments. Also, one big change from the comic at the end bugged me. It seemed out of place to me.

Then I came home and reread the comic. Now I'm even more irritated, less at the smaller changes and more at the big ones. They really fairytaled the whole thing up and, in doing so, missed the point of the comic.

Now, here's the thing... the parts that bugged me, the things that seemed out of place and the changes in sequence of scenes work for the movie! They fit in context with the movie, but they bugged me because they don't fit the comic. It's a fun movie and I like it, but I don't like it. :/

It's a good movie, but a bad adaptation.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
I was ecstatic when I left the theater after seeing this. Hit Girl was fantastic, it was fun as hell, funny, and they really managed to get across some of those feelings of triumph when Kick-Ass has his first success.

But...

Some of the changes they made from the comic were nagging at me. Just little ways they rearranged the sequence of things in the story that lessened the impact of certain moments. Also, one big change from the comic at the end bugged me. It seemed out of place to me.

Then I came home and reread the comic. Now I'm even more irritated, less at the smaller changes and more at the big ones. They really fairytaled the whole thing up and, in doing so, missed the point of the comic.

Now, here's the thing... the parts that bugged me, the things that seemed out of place and the changes in sequence of scenes work for the movie! They fit in context with the movie, but they bugged me because they don't fit the comic. It's a fun movie and I like it, but I don't like it. :/

It's a good movie, but a bad adaptation.

No, WANTED is a bad adaptation. This was pretty accurate, besides for a couple things. The way I see it was everything in the movie still pretty much came to the same conclusion that it did in the comic (save for one thing, but that one thing made one scene in the movie INCREDIBLY more tense).

Yeah, some of the changes bugged me, but I liked some of them too. The way the costume gets ditched when he goes to the hospital makes more sense in the movie than the comic, the reason the guys leave him alone when he defends some guy against them makes more sense in the movie than the comic, and the mobsters were waaaaay more developed in the movie.

The only things that really bugged me were the fact that Kick-Ass is barely in the movie for the last act, and that he kills people towards the end. It seemed out of character.

Oh fuck it, I'll just link to my review...

http://blip.tv/file/3456303
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:13 am  Reply with quote

They changed the whole tone of the story. They made a superhero fantasy, full of wish fulfillment and actual superheroes, out of a story which specifically tried to avoid all of that. It isn't just out of character that Dave would kill people, but the way he does it and the equipment he uses are all completely out of sync with the spirit of the story they were adapting.

IF I hadn't read the comic, I would absolutely love this movie, but, having read it, and knowing what the movie could've been and how far it skews from the intent of the source material, I can't say that I'm entirely happy with the film. Still, I need to stress, I did LIKE it! It's a fucking good time at the movies.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:16 am  Reply with quote

LOVED everything with Hit Girl and Big Daddy, didn't like everything else. Kick-Ass was a lame character and every situation he was in felt forced and weak. Which is a shame because when HG and BD were on screen the movie came to life in a really violent and fun way.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:41 am  Reply with quote

LivingDeadPunk wrote:
They changed the whole tone of the story. They made a superhero fantasy, full of wish fulfillment and actual superheroes, out of a story which specifically tried to avoid all of that. It isn't just out of character that Dave would kill people, but the way he does it and the equipment he uses are all completely out of sync with the spirit of the story they were adapting.

IF I hadn't read the comic, I would absolutely love this movie, but, having read it, and knowing what the movie could've been and how far it skews from the intent of the source material, I can't say that I'm entirely happy with the film. Still, I need to stress, I did LIKE it! It's a fucking good time at the movies.
I feel the exact opposite. I think all of the changes were for the better. With that being said, what a fucking blast! It's been a while since I've actually had fun at the movies and felt compelled to talk about the film afterwards. Chloe Moretz does indeed steal the show with Cage in 2nd place. I must say though, there wasn't one performance that fell flat for me. The action choreography never fails to wow throughout as well. The scene where Hit Girl rescues Kick-Ass was fucking brilliantly staged!

Anyway, I could go on and on, just see this fucking movie! I'm checking it out again tomorrow!
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:46 am  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
LOVED everything with Hit Girl and Big Daddy, didn't like everything else. Kick-Ass was a lame character and every situation he was in felt forced and weak. Which is a shame because when HG and BD were on screen the movie came to life in a really violent and fun way.
I had no problem with Dave being lame, that's what made Hit Girl and Big Daddy that much fucking cooler. It also made for some fucking hilarious scenes.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

LSD Zombie wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
I had no problem with Dave being lame, that's what made Hit Girl and Big Daddy that much fucking cooler. It also made for some fucking hilarious scenes.

I didn't think anything with Kick-Ass (or Red Mist for that matter) was very funny at all. The movie really only came alive when Hit Girl and Big Daddy were on screen.
Richard Bastard
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

saw it, loved it...