FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Joss Whedon To Direct The Avengers (And Rewrite The Script)
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:45 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Floydian Trip wrote:
I really don't care about him. Buffy was targeted at teenage girls and especially Angel so like Twilight of course it was popular.

Spoken like someone who never even gave a season a chance.

I said the same things about Buffy and Angel before I actually enlightened myself and watched it.

Now, without a single shadow of a doubt, i believe it to be one of the single best television shows EVER created. There are episodes of Buffy that are nothing short of brilliant. I'm ashamed I even considered writing it off. I could not have been more wrong about something.

Not your thing, that's fine. But to discount its influences on the genre, and the amazing chances it took (and succeeded at) prove it to be one of the best written shows of our genre. It's a crime the show never got an emmy.

And that's great and all that you enjoy your monsters up front with no subtly, but the whole idea behind buffy was that it was real life, except with monsters and vampires as metaphor. That was what made it so genius. Girl sleeps with guy and he becomes an asshole afterwards. Buffy sleeps with guy and he becomes the single most evil vampire ever to walk the earth. And that's just barely touching upon the issues that BTVS covered.

Of course, you'd never understand that if you only watched an episode.

Can't wait to see what Whedon will do with this. Love his work, and his knack for great comic book style writing. I think he'll do great things with this.
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:45 am  Reply with quote

Thanks to Buffy, I get pissed off whenever a show ends with a cliffhanger now. I much prefer the Buffy method of having self contained seasons.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:19 am  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
I really don't care about him. Buffy was targeted at teenage girls and especially Angel so like Twilight of course it was popular.

Spoken like someone who never even gave a season a chance.

I said the same things about Buffy and Angel before I actually enlightened myself and watched it.

Now, without a single shadow of a doubt, i believe it to be one of the single best television shows EVER created. There are episodes of Buffy that are nothing short of brilliant. I'm ashamed I even considered writing it off. I could not have been more wrong about something.

Not your thing, that's fine. But to discount its influences on the genre, and the amazing chances it took (and succeeded at) prove it to be one of the best written shows of our genre. It's a crime the show never got an emmy.

And that's great and all that you enjoy your monsters up front with no subtly, but the whole idea behind buffy was that it was real life, except with monsters and vampires as metaphor. That was what made it so genius. Girl sleeps with guy and he becomes an asshole afterwards. Buffy sleeps with guy and he becomes the single most evil vampire ever to walk the earth. And that's just barely touching upon the issues that BTVS covered.

Of course, you'd never understand that if you only watched an episode.

Can't wait to see what Whedon will do with this. Love his work, and his knack for great comic book style writing. I think he'll do great things with this.

Well said. Pointless considering the person you're addressing, but well said none the less.
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:29 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Oh and Angel was a different beast altogether. It was essentially a film noir...WITH FUCKING MONSTERS.

Plus not to mention the whole idea of a vampire with a soul (by curse) is an amazing concept, and one they were able to keep fresh through 3 seasons of Buffy (4 if you count you know who) and 5 seasons of Angel.

I cannot say enough great things about these shows.

Yeah there was definitely bad episodes here and there, but the overall quality of the show cannot be argued.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

If you hadn't pissed me off so much Buz your opinion might carry more weight.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:

Posts like these are why people attack you

Just saying
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

Just saying

This is between me and Buz and nobody else. So the attack from DSIC was warranted in your opinion? I suppose it's not allowed on these message boards to have a differing opinion is that it? I said Joss was overrated, never did I attack a member of this board.

And your little snide comments don't go unnoticed by me either although I ignore you for the most part. You're as bad as they are.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

Just saying

This is between me and Buz and nobody else. So the attack from DSIC was warranted in your opinion? I suppose it's not allowed on these message boards to have a differing opinion is that it? I said Joss was overrated, never did I attack a member of this board.

And your little snide comments don't go unnoticed by me either although I ignore you for the most part. You're as bad as they are.

What I'm saying is this...

Buz posted an intelligent comment about why he thinks that Buffy is a fantastic show, and you basically said, "well I'm mad so I'm just going to flat out ignore you."

So if you're just going to flat out ignore intelligent arguments when they come up, the question becomes, why even bother debating with you? Why bother conversing with you?

as for my snide comments...

I call 'em as I see 'em. If I don't agree with you, I'm gonna call you on your shit, and if I do agree with you, I'll defend your argument. I just so happen to usually not agree with you.
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:51 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

The REAL question here is, if you're going to ignore somebody, why fucking tell them that you plan to ignore them? Just do it, damn it.

And I watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer from season one, on 'till the end. You had cute chicks, great writing, and cool looking monsters every week. What's not to love?

Angel, I only watched sporadically. Mostly on TNT, at like 6 in the morning. But, it wasn't a bad show, at all.

Anyway, I'm excited to see what Whedon does with The Avengers. If anybody can tie up all the loose threads from each character's solo movies in a satisfying manner, it's going to be this guy.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
The REAL question here is, if you're going to ignore somebody, why fucking tell them that you plan to ignore them? Just do it, damn it.

Yeah, I guess that was my real problem with the post. It just seems kind of rude to tell someone that you just don't give a shit about what they just said.

ANYWAY

Considering Whedon writes comics, and for the most part his work in them has been fantastic, I'm interested to see what he does. Also, Firefly was made of win.

I watched Buffy sporadically, but never that intently. I really need to go back and rewatch it all. I watched Angel a bit more. The whole "film noir with monsters" description is spot on.
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:07 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Floydian Trip wrote:

Really Floydian?

I fail to see where I personally attacked you. I may have strung up your opinion and had my way with it, but god forbid we live in a world where we can debate each other.

If you've seen more than 5 episodes of Buffy or Angel, please just say I'm wrong with my previous post. Name off some episodes for me and I'll leave you be.

and Nonserviam has a point, that is the precise reason why people come after you. DSIC just more so because he has a lower tolerance than the rest of us. It seems though that every week you're in a fight with someone new. Then you whine and pout and make a post about leaving in which everyone says "That's your choice, dude" and you take a few days off then come back and get in a fight with someone else. It's a pretty ridiculous cycle. You should start thinking about...I don't know...stopping?

But of course, when someone challenges you on something, you'll just say "I'm ignoring you HMPH!" and then kick sand on their tonka truck and run away to hide behind the swings.
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:12 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

nonserviam03 wrote:

Considering Whedon writes comics, and for the most part his work in them has been fantastic, I'm interested to see what he does. Also, Firefly was made of win.

I watched Buffy sporadically, but never that intently. I really need to go back and rewatch it all. I watched Angel a bit more. The whole "film noir with monsters" description is spot on.

His work in the Buffy comics is pretty great, as is with the Angel after the fall series (though not as good as I would like it to be.)

Definitely go back and watch em all. It really is some of the best television. Try to time it up right though so you can watch Angel at the time it starts in Buffy (they do a lot of cross over stuff early on, and in angel season 5)

I seriously think this is a perfect choice for a movie like this. Comic book writing aside, Whedon really knows how to handle ensembles of characters. EVERYTHING he's done has basically modeled itself after the justice league or avengers, or the mystery gang. So it fits like a glove.

He knows how to handle side characters and main characters in the same scene without taking away something from the other.

Again I'll say, perrrrfect choice.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:
I seriously think this is a perfect choice for a movie like this. Comic book writing aside, Whedon really knows how to handle ensembles of characters. EVERYTHING he's done has basically modeled itself after the justice league or avengers, or the mystery gang. So it fits like a glove.

He knows how to handle side characters and main characters in the same scene without taking away something from the other.

That's a really good point, since I think trying to handle the ensemble of characters is going to be the hardest thing for whoever does end up doing the movie.

Whedon is definitely a good choice.

Still waiting to hear more about Cabin in the Woods. Razz
The Buz
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:21 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

The only problem I can foresee is Whedon getting walked on by egomaniacal actors. You got Robert Downy Jr. , Edward Norton, That dude who was the human torch but is now Captain America, and Sam Jackson.

Those are some major egos to handle.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

The Buz wrote:

and Nonserviam has a point, that is the precise reason why people come after you. DSIC just more so because he has a lower tolerance than the rest of us. It seems though that every week you're in a fight with someone new. Then you whine and pout and make a post about leaving in which everyone says "That's your choice, dude" and you take a few days off then come back and get in a fight with someone else. It's a pretty ridiculous cycle. You should start thinking about...I don't know...stopping?

But of course, when someone challenges you on something, you'll just say "I'm ignoring you HMPH!" and then kick sand on their tonka truck and run away to hide behind the swings.

QFT! For the record I have not been around for a while and I post far less than I used to. When I come back here, the same shit is going on and at the center is Floydian. How many people do you have to get into it with before you realize that YOU'RE the problem and not everyone else. The whole "everyone is out to get me" spiel is beyond tired.