FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Joss Whedon To Direct The Avengers (And Rewrite The Script)
FilmCritic3000
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:06 am  Reply with quote

http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/marvel-close-to-whedon-hire-on-the-avengers/

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118017689.html?categoryid=10&cs=1

Quote:
Whedon will also rework Zak Penn's script.

Awesome.

I'm a broken record as of late but is it May 2012 yet?!
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

I'm hesitant to believe this will actually happen.

We still have Iron Man 2.

Thor.

Captain America.

Possibly Ant Man.

And Possible Shield.

And if one or all of those potential franchises are failures, the studio may have to rethink the entire film.

And what if someone doesn't want to appear in the movie? They'd have to scour Hollywood for a replacement.

Not to mention it will take years to develop.

We'll see what happens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:39 pm  Reply with quote

Joss doesn't impress me. I've only liked one thing he's ever done which was my favorite show of all time in Firefly and he didn't even write them all. Totally overrated.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Joss doesn't impress me. I've only liked one thing he's ever done which was my favorite show of all time in Firefly and he didn't even write them all. Totally overrated.

I don't get the attraction either. Buffy and Angel were more soap-opera than horror (which accounts for all the female fans), Titan A.E. was barely watchable, Dollhouse was a bust and Firefly was OK, but the movie was good. Alien: Resurrection is still enjoyable, and for what it's worth the story wasn't that bad.

So the short of it is nothing the guy ever did "wowed" me, or even made me raise an eyebrow. My wife loves "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" and plays it all the time. God, I wish I didn't buy that for her....
Terminal
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

I don't get the attraction either. Buffy and Angel were more soap-opera than horror (which accounts for all the female fans), Titan A.E. was barely watchable, Dollhouse was a bust and Firefly was OK, but the movie was good. Alien: Resurrection is still enjoyable, and for what it's worth the story wasn't that bad.

So the short of it is nothing the guy ever did "wowed" me, or even made me raise an eyebrow. My wife loves "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" and plays it all the time. God, I wish I didn't buy that for her....

I adore Firefly and Serenity.

Everything else I can take or leave. Especially Dr. Horrible's we've run out of ideas so we're palming off any crap to you Sing along blog.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Emy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="frank_dracmanI don't get the attraction either. Buffy and Angel were more soap-opera than horror (which accounts for all the female fans), [/quote]

I guess that would explain why I could not watch one complete episode of Buffy without changing the channel.

I did watch Angel, which was much less soapopera-y in my opinion. Or maybe it was all the screentime David Boreanaz got...
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

I watched a few episodes of Buffy and it felt like 90210 with monsters. The girls still had PMS to deal with.
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:28 pm  Reply with quote

I couldn't be happier if this news was personally delivered to me by Stan Lee riding on the back of a sparkly rainbow deinonychuscorn (large, raptorian dinosaur with a unicorn horn that sparkles, but not in a gay way, like Edward Cullen.)

Joss can direct. He can do action, comedy and oh, yes... Drama. He can pull some wrenching shit from an actor and he's good at getting to the core of a character or relationships between characters. He can handle ensemble casts really well. He knows Marvel and the dynamics of a superhero team. His work on Astonishing X-Men and Runaways was great. And... He's got the nerd cred to please the majority of the bitter, bitter 'net.

I can't think of anyone better suited to direct Avengers.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

He destroyed Alien fuck him.
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:54 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
That's ridiculous. One, he was just the screenwriter, not the director. He didn't have final say over that movie. Secondly, He had had elements of the story dictated to him and changes demanded by the producers. That series was already on a downslide with Alien3, because of studio interference. BEsides, Joss wasn't even happy with that movie.

When asked about it, he said, "It wasn't a question of doing everything differently, although they changed the ending; it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong. They said the lines...mostly...but they said them all wrong. And they cast it wrong. And they designed it wrong. And they scored it wrong. They did everything wrong that they could possibly do. There's actually a fascinating lesson in filmmaking, because everything that they did reflects back to the script or looks like something from the script, and people assume that, if I hated it, then they’d changed the script...but it wasn’t so much that they’d changed the script; it’s that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable."

Blaming Whedon for the state of the Alien franchise is just silly.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

Like I said, if you break the story of A:R down to the basics, it's not that bad. Cloning, underwater battles, a hybrid alien and a reasonable excuse to bring Ripley back. Personally I think it's better than the story of Alien 3. But remember the ideas they had for Alien 3 originally? The whole medieval look and story? Goddamn, that would have been the tits.

So if you want to blame anyone, Floyd, blame Hollywood suits and executives that have the audacity to believe they know what we want. I'll bring the pitchforks and fire.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:

Is there ever a point where you get tired of being wrong?

Whedon is a talent. Whether or not you liked his other work is irrelevant. Other people with far more qualified opinions and better taste than you think his work is great. Him directing The Avengers is a fantastic prospect.
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
Like I said, if you break the story of A:R down to the basics, it's not that bad. Cloning, underwater battles, a hybrid alien and a reasonable excuse to bring Ripley back. Personally I think it's better than the story of Alien 3. But remember the ideas they had for Alien 3 originally? The whole medieval look and story? Goddamn, that would have been the tits.

So if you want to blame anyone, Floyd, blame Hollywood suits and executives that have the audacity to believe they know what we want. I'll bring the pitchforks and fire.
I'll bring lemonade and potato salad. And copies of Alien3 to pelt them with.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

Whedon is a talent. Whether or not you liked his other work is irrelevant. Other people with far more qualified opinions and better taste than you think his work is great. Him directing The Avengers is a fantastic prospect.

That's the most mature comment in this thread. Once again, I'm not the only one that thinks he'sw overrated. I'm still trying to figure out why you have to have qualifications to post on a message board. I used to be a critic and write for a website too. Big deal.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

That's the most mature comment in this thread. Once again, I'm not the only one that thinks he'sw overrated. I'm still trying to figure out why you have to have qualifications to post on a message board. I used to be a critic and write for a website too. Big deal.

You're not the only one who thinks he's overrated. You're also not the only homophobe in the world. Doesn't make you any less wrong. It's not a matter of qualified to post on a message board. It's to think you're opinion matters.