FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Final Fantasy XIII
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:34 pm  Reply with quote

Another tempting one. I wish every game that comes out wasn't another milestone in graphics. I have never been much of a J-RPG fan but I did play through FFVII and thought it was a great game. It wouldn't feel right to play it on the 360.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:54 am  Reply with quote

I'm gonna rent it. Not really feeling the "no towns" idea.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

All of the reviews say the same thing; great graphics, great music, great story, but the linearity detracts from the gameplay and you can't explore the world until 20+ hours in.

As a FF fan I'm still obligated to give this a try. I'm picking this up next week due to low funds this week, so I'll chime in with my thoughts around then as well.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:16 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Im just getting into it. So far, so good. I mean, it's a FF game. No more, no less.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

I think I'm about 12 hours in and it's FINALLY starting to pick up a little bit.

The graphics are excellent and the battle system is pretty cool considering that the battles move quicker with the paradigm system. I don't mind the Crystarium feature to level up, but I haven't figured out the weapon upgrade feature yet.

What's killing me right now is 1.) how linear the levels are - exploration used to be a landmark feature of the FF franchise and I think they messed up by abandoning this and 2.) how the story is told in all these notes through the datalog instead of through gameplay or events. The story is good so far but I'm tired of having to read all the notecards to fill in backstory.

I hear that the game opens up and picks up about 20 hours in... I guess Square knew that FF fans would be willing to commit to this but if I were new to the franchise this game definitely would not have converted me.
Verdugo
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

A friend of mine was saying that after 20-30 hours of gameplay, it suddenly becomes massively open-world, and the difficulty apparently shoots through the roof.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:26 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Traded it in today. Maybe 40 hours in. Just gave up. Buggy, sloppy mess. No story, no variety, no fun. I agree with the Penny Arcade guys: I refuse to keep polishing this thing in the hope that it'll start to shine.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
Traded it in today. Maybe 40 hours in. Just gave up. Buggy, sloppy mess. No story, no variety, no fun. I agree with the Penny Arcade guys: I refuse to keep polishing this thing in the hope that it'll start to shine.

For all of you who didn't like this one, try Resonance of Fate. Not as high of quality, but it's hella fun once you get the battle system down.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:

I made it about 40 hours in as well and just quit caring. I actually got to Gran Pulse and everything and for about an hour I thought that the game was finally opening up and becoming a Final Fantasy, only to realize that I was expected to go level up some more in order to be able to explore Gran Pulse without being wiped out at every counter. The thought of having to spend another few days getting my party levelled up did me in.

I'm back to playing Heavy Rain to get the platinum trophy before trading in FFXIII for Read Dead Redemption.
rpoint2012
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:42 pm  Reply with quote

It depends on what type of game you feel like playing. Personally I think assassins creed 2 is much better (not to mention its a whole lot newer). They are different styles of games though. Final Fantasy is a turn based action adventure game whereas assassins creed is a third person action. I would go with assassins creed 2.
=============
disseny web
online shopping mall