FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> BIOSHOCK 2
Karloff
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

It is all about discretion and parental control, I agree. As a parent of two young children, maybe I'll ease off a bit when they're 12.

My boy loves Star Wars, for example, but I'd never let him watch Revenge Of The Sith as there are several scenes in there which are pretty gruesome, even for a family movie (but then, it does carry a 12 rating anyway). I'm sure by a certain age children separate fact from fiction - at a younger age, not so sure.

All my 360 games are 18, so my kids never see them. That said, my daughter did come in the room during my playing GTA IV one time. Her only concern was that I didn't signal when I turned right!

I'm surprised, though, that you've yet to even play the first Bioshock. Should be able to get it pretty cheap now. It's a gaming experience you'll not forget in a hurry. Not sure if the sequel could ever live up to it, simply because it lacks the shock of the new.
Verdugo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

While its not quite as good as the first game (lets face it, you can only experience the awe of entering Rapture once), its still a hell of a game. Sophia Lamb was an interesting antagonist, and I loved listening to her and Ryan's increasingly impassioned debates.

Oh, and the final act is far, far better than the first BioShock. Definitely a wise move to swap out a half-assed boss battle with a series of awesomely intense firefights, and the ending, while incredibly bittersweet, just feels so...right

Multiplayer's decent, even though the way the game matches you against other players can be a tad perplexing (Level 6 against a Level 30? No thanks)
Karloff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

I wasn't too annoyed with the ending of the original although your comments bear out a lot of what was said about the cop-out boss battle.

As long as the game looks the same and feels the same as Bioshock then I'll be a happy camper.
Verdugo
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

Oh, not to say that I was overly annoyed with the ending. It just felt a bit rushed, and the ending cinematic felt a bit too schmaltzy.

You'll probably enjoy the second game. Playing as a Big Daddy is beyond awesome.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

I wouldn't even call the end of Bioshock a boss battle. It was so easy it might as well have all been a cinematic. The whole game was too easy in fact. The only challenging thing about it was forcing myself to finish the 3rd level as much as I wanted to quit playing the game entirely because of it.
Verdugo
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

Did you try playing on Hard mode with the Vita Chambers turned off? That makes it a much more difficult gaming experience.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

Verdugo wrote:
Did you try playing on Hard mode with the Vita Chambers turned off? That makes it a much more difficult gaming experience.

I did but I didn't like that either. It was too unbalanced of a game and had 0 atmospere.
Karloff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

Packed full of atmosphere, the first one was, in my opinion. Loved the music, too.

Rarely has a game so successfully made its environment so memorable.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

I expected so much more out of the "spiritual successor" to System Shock 2 which has always benn my favorite game of all time until Dead Space came out.
Karloff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

Never played either. Although I did play the demo of Dead Space (which I am assured is not wholly representative of the game) and couldn't take to it for some reason. Just didn't feel like my kind of game.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

System Shock 2 was a great game in its time. The only game to ever have frightened me.

Dead Space is survival/horror to perfection. Totally intense and I loved how they integrated what would be a HUD in most games into the actual character and game. Taken with the movie and webisodes it is epic. But they failed big time in releasing a prequel on the Wii. Damn you EA.
Karloff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Commercially, Extraction was a failure. But you might want to check out the reviews (and play the game, too); I think you may well re-appraise your opinion on whether it was a failure or not.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:48 pm  Reply with quote

Karloff wrote:
Commercially, Extraction was a failure. But you might want to check out the reviews (and play the game, too); I think you may well re-appraise your opinion on whether it was a failure or not.

I think his point is EA failed by releasing it only on the Wii. If it was on the 360, I'd buy it immediately and if they decide to re-release it for the Playstation Waggle I'm sure it will sale very well. I wish the Wii had more shooters like that. Gotta try out Red Steel 2, everyone's saying it's a blast.
Karloff
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:34 am  Reply with quote

Forgive me, I don't understand. You say if it were on the 360 you'd buy it but then go on to say that you wish the Wii had more shooters like that? Why? If you're only going to ignore them too?!

There seems a strange reticence from the so-called hardcore gamers to buy Wii games; almost as though it's an admission of...well, I don't know, not being of that mindset. It is funny though.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:36 pm  Reply with quote

Karloff wrote:
Forgive me, I don't understand. You say if it were on the 360 you'd buy it but then go on to say that you wish the Wii had more shooters like that? Why? If you're only going to ignore them too?!
I thought I explained that in this thread, but I guess it was another one. It bears repeating so here I go again (on my own, goin' down the only road I've ever known!)...
Xbox is where my friends are. It's the system I play the most. It's hooked up in the game room with 5.1 blah blah, while the Wii sits in the living room attached to a low-def TV. Not to mention if they did release it on 360 there's a good chance there would be online co-op, adding to the limited replayability. And the biggest issue. Frank. Hates. Waggle. I've rented or borrowed many games and they all lead to frustration sooner or later. I'm an old fart set in my ways and just want to play with a controller. Now if the PS3 does something revolutionary (and most of all accurate) I'd be willing to give motion controls another shot.

Quote:
There seems a strange reticence from the so-called hardcore gamers to buy Wii games; almost as though it's an admission of...well, I don't know, not being of that mindset. It is funny though.
So as you can see, it has nothing to do with being hardcore, just a preference. I hated the new Zelda game until I picked it up for the Gamecube. Then I could actually play it. Same with the Metroid games. The Wiimote is serviceable in shooters, but trying to play anything that requires the least bit of finesse or precision is just a lesson in frustration to me.