FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> 2010: The best year ever?
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:43 am  Reply with quote

Unless you got some seriously deep pockets, this year is going to be hell for the gamers out there. It's only the end of March and look at all the goodness so far-
Metro 2033- This one isn't getting enough attention.
Darksiders- Extreme carnage Zelda? Yes please!
Bayonetta- Not my type of game, but still very good.
Deadly Premonition- You haters can suck it.
Just Cause 2- I was not expecting this to be so awesome.
Final Fantasy XIII- Some say a step back, but there's no denying it's quality.
Mass Effect 2- ZOMG! Game of the year! Seriously outstanding stuff.
Resonance of Fate- Hardcore JRPG goodness is back, baby.
Gow of War 3- Damn, I wish I had a PS3.
Red Steel 2- A good Wii game? Get the fuck out of here!
Heavy Rain- See God of War 3.
Bioshock 2- Good as the first? Yep. Multipayer lame? Yep.
Dante’s Inferno- By Satan's cock!
Any I missed?

And that's just the beginning, guys. Time to take out that second mortgage.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:49 pm  Reply with quote

Definitely a resurgence which is why I was wondering why there wasn't 100 new threads created here already because there's at least that many quality games.

So far for me it was Mass Effect 2 which I already claimed was GotY material and then Deadly Premonition which I stopped playing and loaned to a buddy whil I ply ther epic God of War III. It's so damn beautiful and monsterific.
Karloff
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:

Any I missed?

The Silent Hill game for the Wii has had rave reviews. Shame to see that Nintendo might not be following up with many more horror games as Dead Space did really well (critically if not commercially) too.

I'm looking forward to Red Dead: Redemption myself.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

Karloff wrote:
frank_dracman wrote:

Any I missed?

The Silent Hill game for the Wii has had rave reviews. Shame to see that Nintendo might not be following up with many more horror games as Dead Space did really well (critically if not commercially) too.

I'm looking forward to Red Dead: Redemption myself.

AH, yes, Red Dead. I forgot that one. Looks really good.
Speaking of the excellent Dead Space for Wii, I was reading a rumor they are trying to port it to the other consoles. They really should, shame to let a good game like that suffer mediocrity on the Wii.
Karloff
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

How do you mean "suffer mediocrity on the Wii"?
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

Karloff wrote:
How do you mean "suffer mediocrity on the Wii"?

It's sales were less than stellar, and that game deserves a wider audience than what can be found in the average Wii owner. The Wii's a good system for it's target demographic, but adult-orientated games, no matter how good they are, all do poorly on the machine. Madworld, No More Heroes, Dead Space Extraction, Deadly Creatures, hell, even the new Silent Hill didn't do all that great compared to games like My Little Pony Paint N' Ride or whatever Grandma and the kids are playing nowadays.

I don't hate the system, my wife and I play every now and then. But I'll never see it as anything more than a back-up system to my more "mature" consoles and games.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
My Little Pony Paint N' Ride

Please tell me you just made that up.

I'd love to play those other games you mentioned if they get ported. I'm so pissed I can't play Dead Space. My sons don't even like the Wii.
Verdugo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

Really enjoying Metro 2033 so far. Sure, the gameplay isn't perfect, but the incredibly oppressive, claustrophobic atmosphere and chilling sound design definitely makes up for it.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:57 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
frank_dracman wrote:
My Little Pony Paint N' Ride

Please tell me you just made that up.

I'd love to play those other games you mentioned if they get ported. I'm so pissed I can't play Dead Space. My sons don't even like the Wii.

Yeah, that's how out of touch with the younger generation I am. The first thing that pops in my head is My Little Pony or Rainbow Brite.

It's a different time we live in, that's for sure. Again, there's nothing really wrong with the Wii, but I just feel at "home" with my 360. I used to have all these platforms and games, now I stick almost exclusively to Xbox. It's not fanboyism, it's simply the fact that's where my buddies are. Every weekend we'll play games I'm not all that interested in like Rainbow 6 Vegas, but when 5-7 of my friends (including one from here) get going, it's more of a social gathering than a game. We bullshit about movies, girlfriends and other games while shooting each other. I play my regular games too, but some nights you just want to screw around.

My Xbox tag is Frank Dracman, add me if you want to join in on the fun. No potty mouth immature troglodytes, though. Speaking of which, you never accepted my friends request, Floyd. Sad
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:23 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry Frank, my Xbox Live expired and I can't play online games with my connection anyway. When Ghost Recon came out we were playing pretty much every night.

This is what Reggie says about hardcore...

"The fact of the matter is we know we create great content for younger consumers, we know we've got great content for more casual players, and we want fantastic content for that more active player who loves Metroid or Zelda but maybe also wants something like a BioShock 2 to play as well," Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime said. "And we also recognize that we don't create that type of content ourselves. We're not good at it and it's not a key focus area."

The Wii is simply a console for small kids, their moms and people who don't want to play the real, hardcore games like God of War III. They want party games and trivia games and Wii Fit.

That's fine although I miss the real Nintendo.

Just as long as Sony doesn't start thinking it's a good idea. I don't want either Sony or Microsoft to get into motion controls or 3D. Leave the gimmicky stuff to Nintendo where the casual gamers enjoy it.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

Isn't it My Pretty Pony?

And you missed Gears of War 3 and Halo: Reach which is gonna be mind blowing especially if they allow the player to control a Pelican which you can only do in PC multiplayer at this point.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Isn't it My Pretty Pony?

And you missed Gears of War 3 and Halo: Reach which is gonna be mind blowing especially if they allow the player to control a Pelican which you can only do in PC multiplayer at this point.

The list I wrote was just the game that are out now. We have Lost Planet 2, the new Splinter Cell, the games you mentioned and many others to look forward to this year. Not to mention the Playstation Waggle and Xbox Natal. The Waggle might just sell me on a PS3.

Edit- It's My Little Pony, not My Pretty Princess. God, I feel so stupid knowing that...
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

Can't wait for Lost Planet 2. The first was so incredibly badass.
Karloff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
Sorry Frank, my Xbox Live expired and I can't play online games with my connection anyway. When Ghost Recon came out we were playing pretty much every night.

This is what Reggie says about hardcore...

"The fact of the matter is we know we create great content for younger consumers, we know we've got great content for more casual players, and we want fantastic content for that more active player who loves Metroid or Zelda but maybe also wants something like a BioShock 2 to play as well," Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime said. "And we also recognize that we don't create that type of content ourselves. We're not good at it and it's not a key focus area."

The Wii is simply a console for small kids, their moms and people who don't want to play the real, hardcore games like God of War III. They want party games and trivia games and Wii Fit.

That's fine although I miss the real Nintendo.

Just as long as Sony doesn't start thinking it's a good idea. I don't want either Sony or Microsoft to get into motion controls or 3D. Leave the gimmicky stuff to Nintendo where the casual gamers enjoy it.

Silent Hill, Resident Evil 4, Dead Rising and Dead Space Extraction have proven that the Wii is easily capable of excellent horror games. It just doesn't seem to want to unfortunately, going by this quote from Nintendo's American president.

Shame, really.

As a "traditional" gamer I have no problem with the Wii at all. It is what it is and doesn't try to be another PS3 or 360. Therefore, you'll find a lot of gamers (especially those with kids) have a Wii as well as one of the other two (or, in the case of the very rich, they have all three). Playing a game like, Zelda, for example, which would normally have been a solitary experience, was only enhanced by my daughter joining in on the fishing game and taking over when Link was on horseback. And Wii Sports is an absolute classic.

And if the Wiimote and nunchuck were a gimmick, then you have to wonder why practically every game is still using them. A gimmick, after all, being something that is short-lived and superficial. They're no more a gimmick than the Sixaxis controller, I reckon.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

Lair is the only motion controlled game I played on PS3 and it was horrible and of course later released with normal controls. I'm not aware of any others although some games use the sixaxis in very, very basic ways which I feel are as far as it should be taken.

There are plenty of thirty anf fouty-something gamers around here who grew up as they first came out and would probably agree that in the early days games didn't cater to younger players. They were difficult and challenging and that's how I want them to be.