FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Radio 666 -> Peter Gabriel
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

My top 2 male vocalists in music are Peter Gabriel and David Gilmour and I think of about a dozen more off the top of my head but Phil Collins doesn't come to mind even for a split second.

It's pretty clear to me that you're a Collins fan. Start a Phil Collins thread if you like but I think all he does now is make songs for cartoons.
Karloff
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

Ahh, Wikipedia, the fountain of all knowledge. You'd be better served following the band for as long as I have and reading some of the excellent source material out there. Peter left of his own accord, whatever your fevered imagination might come up with in the still of the night.

I think Gabriel is an excellent writer, definitely. Collins is straight forward and direct, a much more pragmatic artist. Collins prefers to write and record in as few takes as possible; Gabriel takes forever to record, though, labouring over his lyrics for years. To be honest, if anyone had taken as long as he did to write Sky Blue (one of the best songs on his UP album) then one would expect it to be good!

What the band didn't like in terms of Gabriel as a front man was the undue attention he was getting from the press; the band could play really well or really bad and all that was written was what ridiculous costume Peter wore that night. In a five piece band, which was supposed to be composed of equals, wouldn't you be pissed off too?

The reason Gabriel left had nothing to do with bad vibes in the band. He felt that the album-tour-album-tour treadmill was counter-productive and that he would sooner be an "artist" and take his time to record, rather than have that be dictated by the record company. So he got out and made some very artistic records. So artistic that his record company dropped him, prompting Phil Collins to loan him his band to help record the third album. And, of course, Genesis bailed him out again when his WOMAD festival failed to make any money.

Your opinon about singing is subjective. I can't say much about it other than, to date, Collins has never tinkered with any of his own live product. Gabriel, however, does it all the time. What does that tell you?
Karloff
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
My top 2 male vocalists in music are Peter Gabriel and David Gilmour and I think of about a dozen more off the top of my head but Phil Collins doesn't come to mind even for a split second.

It's pretty clear to me that you're a Collins fan. Start a Phil Collins thread if you like but I think all he does now is make songs for cartoons.

You have deduced I like Phil Collins? Are you a detective perchance?

Gilmour's a great guitarist but he's hardly going to give Caruso a run for his money.

And why, pray tell, would I want to start a Phil Collins thread? Am I not allowed to pull you up on your inaccuracies (which are manifold)? Are we all just supposed to slavishly agree with you and shower praise because of all those Gabriel lyrics you've tirelessly posted? Nah, you're not on, pal.

Still, I'm sure that Collins is absolutely gutted that you don't like him. As for writing songs for cartoons, he's in excellent company. Have you not heard of Randy Newman?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

Like I've said I heard many stories of why Gabriel left over the years. I started listening to Gabriel-Genesis when I was 5 and have been following Gabriel ever since. His albums are amazing. Had them all on SACD too and they were just brilliant in 5.1. His voice is just phenominal live and in the studio and yes I do own all of his live albums but also like I've said I've seen him live 4 times and the only concerts that were better, imo, were Pink Floyd shows and I've seen alot of fucking concerts.

Abacab is the only Collins-Genesis I own and I do not have any of his solo stuff either. Never wanted to hear him live. I don't like pop music. I like progressive rock the most.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

Karloff wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

You have deduced I like Phil Collins? Are you a detective perchance?

Gilmour's a great guitarist but he's hardly going to give Caruso a run for his money.

And why, pray tell, would I want to start a Phil Collins thread? Am I not allowed to pull you up on your inaccuracies (which are manifold)? Are we all just supposed to slavishly agree with you and shower praise because of all those Gabriel lyrics you've tirelessly posted? Nah, you're not on, pal.

Still, I'm sure that Collins is absolutely gutted that you don't like him. As for writing songs for cartoons, he's in excellent company. Have you not heard of Randy Newman?

Yes, I've heaqrd of Randy Newman and I've heard his songs but do I own a Randy Newman album? Don't think so. What's your point anyway? That they both have Oscars?
Karloff
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

Erm, you know you say that you don't like pop music...you do know that Gabriel is, by definition, a pop artist. Sledgehammer, Solsbury Hill, Don't Give Up, Big Time, Growing Up, Shock The Monkey...this is going to come as a real surprise to you but they're all pop songs and (heavens forfend) they were commercially successful too. Oh no! the scales have fallen from your eyes, your hero is fallible, your hero is...a pop star!

So, you've been to a lot of "fucking" concerts have you? That's fine, no need to swear, we all believe you.

And you've been listening to Peter since you were five, eh? Gosh. So much free will at such a young age. Well, I guess that makes you right and me wrong, then. Still, it really bites to lose an argument to a fifteen year old boy...

And you don't own a Randy Newman record. Well, I already worked that out. Hey, I'm getting as good as you with deductive skills now.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, I have been defeated. Oh the sorrow and the pain. Although actually I think you just made yourself look like an asshole. You posted your opinion on Scratch My Back and I posted mine. You were welcome to post your opinion on the album however you felt about it. But you wanted a pissing match.
Karloff
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

I think the posts will show who the "asshole" is (I think you'll find it's spelt arsehole, by the way).

Anyway, enjoy the rest of your weekend and try not to let this upset you too much. After all, you've got school on Monday, be a shame if you wasted these two days crying.
Uncle Creepy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:28 am  Reply with quote
Pop Culture Icon

Karloff wrote:
I think the posts will show who the "asshole" is (I think you'll find it's spelt arsehole, by the way).

Anyway, enjoy the rest of your weekend and try not to let this upset you too much. After all, you've got school on Monday, be a shame if you wasted these two days crying.

Hey Karloff chill with the smarmy attacks please. Thanks.
Karloff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

Will do, Uncle Creepy.

Back on tpic, listening to the remaster of PG4 last night and I think they've done an amazing job. The drums on The Rythm Of The Heat have never sounded so loud. I was so impressed. I listened to the whole album.

I'd forgotten how good it really is.

The biting cynicism of The Family And The Fishing Net, the pounding synths of Shock The Monkey and I Have The Touch, the unfussy beauty of Wallflower. Gabriel's voice sounds a little over-processed at times but this doesn't take away from just how innovative this album was, and still is.