FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> The Lord of the Rings (Blu-ray) April 6 2010
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

I pre-ordered at Best Buy to get a steel case all 3 movies will fit into. Can't wait to see them in glorious HD.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

and the steel case..

Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

It sucks they don't have a Blu-ray section here. I don't like to intermingle Blu-ray with the inferior DVD.

EDIT

I should say the inferior and overpriced DVD. Burn them! Burn them all!
Rottenjesus
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

Not the Extended Editions. Sorry.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm not waitin til 2011 or 2012 to get the extended cuts. I want to watch this shit in HD right now and there was nothing wrong with the theatrical cuts. Besides I have the extended cuts on DVD.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
It sucks they don't have a Blu-ray section here. I don't like to intermingle Blu-ray with the inferior DVD.

EDIT

I should say the inferior and overpriced DVD. Burn them! Burn them all!

MEH I SAY!

When my laptop starts being able to play Blu-Ray, I'll convert. Until then, I just don't care.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

Blu-ray is the shit and alot of time cheaper than DVD. Join us.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:28 pm  Reply with quote

Not interested until the extended come out.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Not interested until the extended come out.

That too.

I often forget that so many scenes were cut from the theatrical version
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

All of Peter Jackson and James Cameron movie's have extended cuts. But I liked the theatrical cuts of LotR and as I said I'm not waiting 'til 2012 to get it. I'll very much enjoy these in HD for the next couple of years.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

From The Digital Bits...

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy
2001-2003 (2010) - Wingnut Films/New Line (Warner Bros.)
Released on Blu-ray Disc on April 6th, 2010
Theatrical Editions released previously on DVD (1/2/3)

Film Ratings (Fellowship/Towers/King): A-/A-/A
Video (Fellowship/Towers/King - 1-20): 17.5/18.5/18.5
Audio (Fellowship/Towers/King - 1-20): 17.5/18/18
Extras (Overall): C+

The first thing you need to know about Warner's new Blu-ray box set of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, is that it contains the original Theatrical Editions of all three films in the series. Now... some fans have complained about this, saying that Warner SHOULD have included the better Extended Edition versions instead, or included BOTH versions. I am, however, am not one them.

Director Peter Jackson decided to hold the longer versions for now, because he wants to take the time to create a much more elaborate Blu-ray box set - with all new extras - and release it closer to forthcoming Hobbit films. Warner has, in fact, confirmed that they will be released at a later date. In the meantime, many Rings fans DO want these versions on Blu-ray too (myself included)... and the simple fact is that for most casual movie fans, the theatrical cuts are more than enough to satisfy. So this box set meets those needs perfectly. I'm also betting it'll help sell a LOT of Blu-ray players this year, thereby helping to drive the format's continued growth, and that can only be a good thing.

The second thing you need to know - though I shouldn't have to tell you - is that these films are terrific. No, they're not quite as good as the Extended Editions, but the Theatrical Editions are still wonderful in their own right. I'm not going to talk in more detail about each film individually, because I've reviewed the 2-disc versions of The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King on DVD in exacting detail before (click the links for that). Suffice it to say that this is, without question, the best and most satisfying epic film trilogy in the history of the cinema. And while a few of you newbies might think I'm overstating the case, the rest of you have actually SEEN the films and know I'm correct. Unlike even the beloved Star Wars and Godfather sagas (each of which, though wonderful, has its weak installments), Rings is a trilogy that starts incredibly strong, only gets better and raises the stakes in the middle, and then saves its very best for last. That's a rare thing indeed.

The third thing you should know about this Blu-ray release, is that the A/V presentation quality is very, very good. The films are presented in full 1080p video (using the VC-1 codec), in the original 2.35:1 scope aspect ratio. To my eye, Fellowship isn't quite as crisp and detailed looking as the other two films, though I suspect this is less a BD mastering issue and has more to do with the film's actual post-production. Fellowship was completed first, on a tighter budget, and I recall from the theatres that there were shots here and there that looked a little more digital than the rest. The transfer is still very good - fear not. It's just that Two Towers and Return of the King are absolutely fantastic, with abundant detail and crisp, refined textures. Color and contrast is outstanding on all three. There's a little tiny bit of DNR applied here and there, as there is on almost every film these days, but I don't find it to be an issue quality-wise. Moving on to the sound, the new DTS-HD MA 6.1 lossless mixes are big, spacious and natural sounding, with smooth imaging, lively surrounds and satisfying bass. A Dolby Surround track is also included, and subtitles are available in English, English SDH, French and Spanish. Upon comparison, these Blu-rays are a massive improvement over even the previously outstanding 4-disc DVD sets - so much in fact so that I now have a very hard time watching the standard-def discs. Lord of the Rings was meant for Blu-ray and doesn't disappoint in that score.

And finally, the last thing you need to know here, is that this set is essentially a direct port of the previous 2-disc DVDs, so virtually all of those extras have been carried over here. In fact, the special features DVD discs for each film here are almost identical to the special features discs from the original sets. The only difference is that the original videogame preview trailers (for EA's The Two Towers, The Return of the King and The Battle for Middle-earth Continues games) have been replaced by trailers for newer and future Lord of the Rings videogames from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. This new Blu-ray set also adds bonus Digital Copy versions of each film for those who want 'em portable. So unless you really cared about those original game featurettes, you can safely sell your 2-disc DVD versions to offset the Blu-ray upgrade cost. Here's a complete breakdown of the content in this 9-disc set:

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Disc One (Blu-ray) - the Theatrical Edition film (HD), both teaser trailers and the final theatrical trailer (HD), the Lord of the Rings Trilogy "supertrailer" (HD), The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest videogame trailer (SD) and The Lord of the Rings: War in the North videogame trailer (HD)

Disc Two (DVD) - 3 behind-the-scenes specials/documentaries (Welcome to Middle Earth, Quest for the Ring and A Passage to Middle Earth), 15 Lord of the Rings.net featurettes, 6 TV spots, Enya's May it Be music video, Special Extended DVD Edition preview and The Two Towers film preview

Disc Three (DVD) - Digital Copy version of the film

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Disc One (Blu-ray) - the Theatrical Edition film (HD), the teaser and theatrical trailer (HD), the Lord of the Rings Trilogy "supertrailer" (HD), The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest videogame trailer (SD) and The Lord of the Rings: War in the North videogame trailer (HD)

Disc Two (DVD) - 2 behind-the-scenes specials/documentaries (On the Set - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and Return to Middle Earth), Sean Astin's The Long and Short of It short film, The Making of The Long and Short of It featurette, 8 Lord of the Rings.net featurettes, 16 TV spots, Emiliana Torrini's Gollum's Song music video, Special Extended DVD Edition preview and The Return of the King film preview

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Disc One (Blu-ray) - the Theatrical Edition film (HD), both theatrical trailers (HD), the Lord of the Rings Trilogy "supertrailer" (HD), The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest videogame trailer (SD) and The Lord of the Rings: War in the North videogame trailer (HD)

Disc Two (DVD) - 3 documentaries (The Quest Fulfilled: A Director's Vision, A Filmmaker's Journey: Making The Return of the King and National Geographic Special - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King), 6 Lord of the Rings.net featurettes, Special Extended DVD Edition preview (SD) and 13 TV spots

Note that the Blu-rays also feature Warner BD-Live connectivity. So all in all, that's not too bad in terms of value. I'm especially happy to see all the trailers in HD here. As far as packaging, you get a glossy, embossed slipcase containing 2 Blu-ray plastic cases. One of them is thicker, and contains 6 discs (the 3 film Blu-rays and the 3 extras DVDs). The second is a standard thickness case and contains the 3 Digital Copy discs and some promotional inserts.

Look... I'm not gonna lie to you. Would I have preferred the Extended Editions on Blu-ray? You bet your battle axe I would. And I get that some of you don't want to be double-dipped again. But for me, as a HUGE fan of these films, the chance to see even these Theatrical Editions on Blu-ray in 1080p with lossless audio is simply NOT something to be passed up. So I say find a really good sale price (Amazon has the set for 30-40% off as I write this and you can bet there will be LOTS of retail discounting on this title), bring 'em home and enjoy! For my money, there just isn't a better way to kill off a whole day's viewing on the Blu-ray format.

Bill Hunt, Editor
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:42 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
All of Peter Jackson and James Cameron movie's have extended cuts. But I liked the theatrical cuts of LotR and as I said I'm not waiting 'til 2012 to get it. I'll very much enjoy these in HD for the next couple of years.

Good for you.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

When I first heard of the HD formats it was movies like this that I wanted it for. Movies with lots of quality CGI or animation look mind blowing. 300 brings a tear to the eye but this will have me bawling like a baby.

Call me anal retentive but yesterday I opened up the steel book I got from Best Buy and realized it could only hold 6 discs when there are 9 in this set. I went to Best Buy and politely told the manager that I either wanted 2 of them or I was gonna get my money back and buy it from Amazon so he gave me another and agreed with me that it didn't make sense to only get 1. Granted 3 of the discs are throw away but I don't want to throw them away.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

Can't say I really blame anyone for waiting for the extended cuts but I am an uber-Lord of the Rings fan. I wrote a letter to J.R.R. Tolkien when I was 6 telling him how much the books meant to me not realizing he was dead until I got a letter back a couple of weeks later. Sad I was heartbroken that he would never know how much they effected me and that I had gotten 13 of my friends together and had directed them in my own version of The Hobbit.
Karloff
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

Bullshit.