FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> PS3, PS2, or PSN to play Silent Hill?
krawlingkhaos
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

So, having been devoid of a console between the Sega Genesis and the Wii, I finally played the original Silent Hill several months ago after acquiring a greatest-hits disc copy from ebay. While playing on my PS3, whenever I fired the pistol outside, the game made an absolutley unholy, high-pitched wailing noise that kept going until I either a) went inside, or b) switched weapons (sometimes); I've heard this comes from the PS3's backwards compatibility being slightly wonky. A few months after I bought a disc copy (of course) the game was release for PSN for the incidental price of $5. I have heard rumors (but can find no official confirmation) that the PS One Classic games on the PSN have been cleaned-up/improved somewhat for play in HD. FYI, I also have a slim PS2. So, my questions are...

1) could I just play it on my PS2 instead?
2) is the HD optimization for the PSN version actually a feature?
3) if it is, is it worth the $5 more for the PSN version.

and (less important, if anyone happens to know)...

a) can I carry over my saves from PS3 to PS2?
b) can I carry over my saves from the PS3 to the PSN version?

Thanks much for any answers.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

If it were me I'd just play Dead Space or Resident Evil 5 Gold. The SIlent Hill games haven't held up except for the truly hardcore gamers.
krawlingkhaos
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
If it were me I'd just play Dead Space or Resident Evil 5 Gold. The SIlent Hill games haven't held up except for the truly hardcore gamers.

Maybe I'm more forgiving; I'm playing SH2 right now and am enjoying it a lot, and although I was afraid the dated elements of the original SH would be impossible to overcome, I still enjoyed that one when it wasn't screaming at me (which made it intolerable).

Dead Space is awesome when its not trying to be asteroids.

Resident Evil 5...I can't quite get the control's down. I didn't play RE4 until it came out on the Wii, so the whole laser-sight/dual-analog setup seems needlessly clunky, although I'm sure I'll eventually finish it: even though I know it won't happen, part of me hopes they'll release a RE5 w/ PS Move (or is it Flow?) controls, since the Wii controls seemed well received and RE5's tank controls have been mostly decried as outdated.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:20 pm  Reply with quote

krawlingkhaos wrote:
1) could I just play it on my PS2 instead?
2) is the HD optimization for the PSN version actually a feature?
3) if it is, is it worth the $5 more for the PSN version.

and (less important, if anyone happens to know)...

a) can I carry over my saves from PS3 to PS2?
b) can I carry over my saves from the PS3 to the PSN version?

I haven't played Silent Hill on the PSN 'cause I have the original disc and play it on my PS2 every once in a while, so I'm basing my opinion on PSN re-releases on my experience w/ Final Fantasy VII;

If you already own the PS1 disc then just play it on your PS2 - there's no reason to buy the PSN version unless you don't own a PS2 or the original PS1 disc. If you're playing PS1 games on the PS2 or PSN you'll get pretty much the same experience... the "HD optimization" doesn't really eliminate some pixels and "splotches" on black screens.

Your saves will not translate between PSN & PS2 memory cards.

Enjoy the game! Playing the original Silent Hill nowadays has some dated features (dogs look like pieces of jerky, voice acting is uneven at times), but it's still an amazing game and the graphic/gameplay issues don't detract from its great story, atmosphere, and some emotionally-charged sequences.
krawlingkhaos
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks. Looks like I gotta track down a PS1 memory card.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

they're easy to find, and luckily I've eben able to keep my 4 running smoothly.
Jordan_Atombomb
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:18 am  Reply with quote

I'm gonna take a guess and say that you're probably playing SH on a backwards compatible 80 gig? I had the same problem, and the same system. The PS3 has a rendering option to smooth up the graphics for PS1 games and make them look slightly better on an HD tv.

Seemed to me that firing the pistol only caused high ringing early on in the game and then went away shortly after.

EDIT: Also, I own both the original disc and the PSN version (I bought it so I can play it on my PSP) and encountered the same problems playing both.