FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> BIOSHOCK 2
mdamien13
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Picked this up last night for the PS3. So far it's a very good game... not as good as the first one so far, but I thought the first one was a near-perfect game.

I think the design of the Big Daddies and Little Sisters in the first game was better and I'm sad to see the old "hacking" feature gone but the new one makes sense, as the game doesn't pause while you're hacking something so the old version would have been a nightmare during ambushes.

On the plus side, playing as a Big Daddy this time out is awesome and the Big Sister is a great enemy! Walking around in the ocean outside of Rapture and seeing how the story is shaping up are definitely highlights as well.

I recommend this one so far and will post back once I've gotten further in.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:12 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

My review is coming. Short version: expansion pack with delusions of grandeur, and so-so multiplayer plagued by a lethal crash bug.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:28 pm  Reply with quote

I see your points on this being something of an expansion pack and it's definitely a step down from the original. Still, though, I really dig the parts where you have to protect the Little Sister while she's harvesting Adam - I spend everything I've got setting up traps and mines and stuff so that part alone was worth the purchase for me.

Totally agree that it's pretty embarrassing to get your ass handed to you by a single splicer. My personal least favorite combat moment saw me getting killed by an old lady Splicer THAT HIT ME WITH THE BUTT OF HER MACHINE GUN!!! I wanted to smack a programmer just for that moment.

Haven't beat it yet so can't comment on what I think about the story overall but so far it's pretty much... well... exactly like the first one. I'm waiting for a "Would You Kindly" twist of some sort.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:48 am  Reply with quote

I would be playing this right now if "Heavy Rain" wasn't coming out 7 days from now.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:52 am  Reply with quote

I'd rather just play System Shock 2 again.
Chele Hell
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

I LOVED the first one so I am definitely looking forward to the 2nd one. So is my daughter lol.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:18 pm  Reply with quote

You don't look old enough in your pic to have a daughter old enough to get through "Bioshock".

(I'm hoping that doesn't sound insulting, but I can't be sure)
Chele Hell
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:32 pm  Reply with quote

I wasn't old enough when I had her rly. She's 12 =P
MethRattle
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

That is indeed old enough to get through "Bioshock". The fact that you let her play it is very cool, too. She will turn out to be a very interesting adult.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:47 pm  Reply with quote

My oldest is 12 and he's a total hardcore, expert FPS player and loved Bioshock so it's definitely old enough.
Chele Hell
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

She play bioshock, fallout 3, and the newest mario on wii =P I won't say how old I was when I had her cuz that'd give away my age haha
Karloff
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:11 am  Reply with quote

Shocking comments; the age restriction is 18 and it's justified in this game as far as I'm concerned. Sorry to sound a bore but I think the language and content are wholly unsuitable for anyone aged 12.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

Karloff wrote:
Shocking comments; the age restriction is 18 and it's justified in this game as far as I'm concerned. Sorry to sound a bore but I think the language and content are wholly unsuitable for anyone aged 12.

Have you seen what goes on in schools? I'd rather language and content be shown in appropriate scenarios(I.E. totally chaotic situation/life threatening situation) then how they get it in school.

Can't wait to play bioshock 1&2, and most definitely can't wait to try the multiplayer, how is that turning out?
Karloff
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

Hmm, has it occured to you that the behaviour you see in schools may well be the direct result of early exposure to such adult material? And whilst games like Bioshock allow us to vicariously experience life threatening scenarios, the assumption of the makers of such games is that the player has the wit and wisdom to understand what an age restriction is and the purpose of its existence.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

See, that all depends on how the child was raised. If a parent does a great job, and explains everything beforehand so the child has an understanding I don't see where you can go wrong. Especially if the child can separate fantasy from reality. It's all the parents choice and it has to be judged by them. I've met some 10 year olds who can sit down and have a detailed conversation about movies and they recognize that it's not real. They are able to tell the difference, and that goes a long way in making that simple judgment. I could also point out that everything you get in video-games you most definitely get on cable, and video-games are a much easier medium for you to control. It's all about discretion I guess.