FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Activision fucked themselves this time...
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118016071.html?categoryid=1009&cs=1

Anybody else been following this? If these guys win the lawsuit Activision will be really fucked without Call of Duty. If Activision wins who is ever gonna want to work for or with them again if $1 billion in sales doesn't give you any job security. Either way they're fucked the way I see it. Not to mention pissing off millions of gamers.
krawlingkhaos
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:

Anybody else been following this?

Definitely. IGN has a nice summary of the shitstorm.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1075022p1.html

Activision does seem to be shooting themselves here. I don't know enough about the legal technicalities, but I heard some speculation and wondered if Activision didn't think they could take the "Modern Warfare" name and drop "Call of Duty" since, Modern Warfare is the defacto name now anyway. How they thought this would go unnoticed by gamers, however, just seems idiotic. I have to hold back at least some of my spite since there's been no actual ruling. Everyone jumped all over FOX and stood up for Snyder during the Watchmen debacle, and it eventually came to light that the situation wasn't as one-sided as it had been presented. I'm interested to see how this turns out.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

The truth will come out eventually but as of right now, since I've seen this happen so many times, I've got to think that Activision is in the wrong. It seems to me that they wanted more games, quality be damned. Another franchise bites the dust. Treyarch is a terrible developer.

On the bright side, EA seems pretty serious about bringing Medal of Honor back to its former glory and if they end up there it'll be a sure thing.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:19 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

To me, it sounds like another classic Bobby K clusterfuck. He wants a Modern Warfare every year. IW says fuck off, we're not ruining our brand and reputation just so you can cash in by forcing us to abandon everything we do to make great games just so we can make them quickly. Activison says hey...if we fire those guys, we can force IW to make a new MW every year AND avoid giving them the royalties we contractually owe them! WIN!

Dumbasses.

Now IW is going to absolutely crumble with everyone bailing for whatever studio those two guys start next. They'll go on to make some MW killer while Activision pounds the CoD and MW brand into the dirt with annual, crappy installments rushed through for the payoff. In the end, we have a great brand dead, a great studio dead, and Activision digging itself that much deeper of a hole.
krawlingkhaos
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
In the end, we have a great brand dead, a great studio dead, and Activision digging itself that much deeper of a hole.

True, but hopefully we also get a new studio and franchise with some proven talent behind it. Silver lining...maybe?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

I guess it's fitting that you go through a museum at the end of Modern Warfare 2.
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:23 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

I hope they win, but I get the feeling Kotick will just settle with them and sweep it under the rug, destroying yet another great franchise. That guy is cancer, pure and simple, and represents everything I hate about business.

The unknown sad part of all this is that I found out the creators of Dead Space are now in Activision's pocket. Ugh.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

Chainsaw wrote:
I hope they win, but I get the feeling Kotick will just settle with them and sweep it under the rug, destroying yet another great franchise. That guy is cancer, pure and simple, and represents everything I hate about business.

The unknown sad part of all this is that I found out the creators of Dead Space are now in Activision's pocket. Ugh.
What?! I thought they were with EA? I agree, Bobby Kotick deserves a golden shower from every gamer he charged $15 for a shitty map pack.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:33 pm  Reply with quote

Say what? As far as I know Visceral, formerly known as EA Redshores, was still part of EA. I find it hard to believe EA would dump them. More explanation please.