a

Ultra-Indie Daily Dose: Off-Peak Is Off-Kilter But On-Point

Hello, you glorious gluttons for all things indie horror! Are you just starving for the newest of the new, the most unknownest of the unknown? If so, you’ve come to the right place. Welcome to the Ultra-Indie Daily Dose! In this series, we’re going to pick a new game every day from an indie horror creator you’ve probably never heard of. No million-dollar budgets or factory productions. This is the space for the little guy with not but a developer toolkit and a dream. So if you’re down to roll the dice on something different, then stick around and check it out!

Who doesn’t enjoy a good fever dream now and then? Today’s Daily Dose leans a bit more weird and uncanny rather than overtly scary, but I still felt it was cool enough to share. Off-Peak is a strange little game by Cosmo D. In it, you play a person stranded at an unusual train station, looking for a ticket out.

To describe the station as “unusual” is actually a massive understatement. The setting of Off-Peak is good and truly bizarre. Structured like a fantastical futuristic art gallery, you explore the halls of this maybe-cyberpunk world and talk to its various denizens. All is not well in the world of Off-Peak, and though your goal is to simply find pieces of a ticket to get the hell out of there, observing the relationships and hierarchy of the train station creates a fascinating vignette.

The reason I chose Off-Peak is because it’s free for you (but especially me) to try. Originally, I wanted to try either Tales From Off-Peak City Vol. 1 or The Norwood Suite, two more of Cosmo D’s games that take place in the same universe. You can try out Off-Peak on Steam by clicking here or on itch.io by clicking here. And for the full Cosmo D library, which looks fascinating, you can see their other stuff here.

Add Comment