FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> COMICS TALK- The Walking Dead
The Buz
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:40 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

So who's up to date on the adventures of Rick and co through the zombie apocalypse?

I just finished reading the last trade (number 11) and holy shit. One of the best trades to come out in a while for the series. When Rick pointed his finger at that dude and boom ear was off, i cheered.

What are your guy's thoughts? Any predictions on where it's going?
Terminal
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:54 pm  Reply with quote

I'm on 70 so I know where it's gone.

And I'm very happy where they're headed with Rick and co.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:48 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I wish i went issue to issue, but the way this thing moves I'd pull my hair out waiting month to month. Better to just have a big splurge of it at once and then wait a few months for the next one.
Terminal
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:50 am  Reply with quote

I can understand your pain. It's hell waiting for every issue to come out. But man, once it does, it's like the sweet release of a drug. You're satisfied in the end, but want more and more. The way Rick and his crew are now, you're definitely going to be raging for more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:56 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Well the shit that happened in Trade 11, with the cannibals in the woods.

Holy shit.

I cheered out load when Rick "shot" that dudes ear off.
Terminal
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:06 am  Reply with quote

That was a grizzly fucking end to a great storyline. I feel so bad for Dale. And their backstory was so disturbing.
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:42 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

They ate the fucking kids!

And you know, that was the first death in the series that wasn't...well...a random. You know what I mean?

Like most of the time in the Walking Dead, Kirkman will just kill characters out of no where. He's fucking evil.

This was the first time where you knew the character was going to bite it, but he gave us time to...well...say goodbye? Laughing Sounds ridiculous, but it's true. Dale was one of my favorite characters. I was really sad to see him go.

And not for nothing, but Abraham is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters. That dude is a bad ass, and his and Rick's relationship is one of the more interesting dynamics in the storyline right now.
Terminal
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah they are their own kids! And I'll put dollars down that Rick and co. ate the cannibals eventually. We never saw what happened to the cannibals after the comic cut away from them and by then it was clear their sanity had all but deteriorated.

I love Abraham as well. I used to hate him but really grew to respect the hell out of him as time went on.

This series can't get any better. I refuse to believe it.
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:56 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I don't think they ate them because they said they weren't going to eat them. But I'm positive they tortured them. They said they cut them up one at a time in front of the others.

My adrenaline was pumping so fast. How the hell are they going to be able to get away with some of this shit on television?

Also, thoughts on Carl cappin' the kid? Right in doing so or wrong?
Terminal
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

Right and wrong.

It HAD to be done, but it shouldn't have been Carl's duty to do it. Sad that it was a child, but he had to die. He was a potential threat for everyone. Carl's clearly lost it as well with the others and taking it upon himself to do what the adults couldn't signal that he was just as psychotic as one of the twins for killing own brother.

They really did make that cannibal clan suffer, man. That was such an incredible storyline to sit through.
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:00 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Terminal wrote:
Right and wrong.

It HAD to be done, but it shouldn't have been Carl's duty to do it. Sad that it was a child, but he had to die. He was a potential threat for everyone. Carl's clearly lost it as well with the others and taking it upon himself to do what the adults couldn't signal that he was just as psychotic as one of the twins for killing own brother.

They really did make that cannibal clan suffer, man. That was such an incredible storyline to sit through.

Dude I couldn't believe it when I was reading it.

The great thing about Walking Dead is the zombies are never really what the story is about. It's all about how these people react to the situations they are thrust into.

Nothing so far compares to the prison/governor story arc. I still cannot believe Kirkman had the balls to do what he did. That was one of the most insane and fucked up things I've ever read.
Terminal
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:04 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah that's why most zombie movies suck. Romero had it right on. Zombie movies should be about the characters not about the zombies. I'm much more invested in the humans than I am in the zombies. I'm always thinking "God what is Rick going to do?" or "What the fuck is this group going to do now?" Not "When are zombies going to eat people already?" Fuck that, the story is excellent enough.

And I don't know man, the cannibal storyline came pretty close to its excellence.
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:38 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Well and it comes off sooo completely real too. The fact that a main character can just...die. No build up, no heroic end, they just die. No one is safe in Walking Dead. It's nerve racking at times.

There have been multiple times where I thought Rick was definitely going to die, and i wouldn't be surprised if he did die at some point down the line, and Carl became our lead. No one is safe.

The cannibal storyline was close, but you can't beat the shock value of what happened when they left the prison. Almost everyone died.

Oh and not for nothing, Michonne is such a bad ass character.
Terminal
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:50 am  Reply with quote

I personally love Andrea more than anyone.

And I also think Rick will die eventually. There are no rules set by Kirkman, that is why I love and hate this series. Kirkman never once claims "We started with Rick so we end with Rick." He can go whenever Kirkman wants him to, sadly.

And you're right the Governor storyline was frantic. So many great people died during that big war. It was VERY sad to see Tyreese and that big bearded prisoner die in battle. Not to mention you don't see a newborn baby blown to bits in a comic very often. Sad shit.

Rick's resulting insanity involving his obsession with the phone was quite compelling as well.
The Buz
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:13 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I loved the bearded prisoner. He was hilarious!

"You follow me?"

And seeing Tyrese go was hard. Didn't deserve that, man. The Governor was an evil piece of shit. He got what he deserved. Twice.

And yeah, Andrea has always been one of my favorites. So was Dale. There are a ton of wonderful characters in the series.

Glenn is also up there. I fucking love Glen, have since the very beginning. I'm sad he's not playing a bigger role right now.

What are your thoughts on the scientist dude? I know you're ahead of me so don't spoil anything. But wtf is up with him spying on Abraham and his chick?