FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Heavy Rain - PS3
MethRattle
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:40 am  Reply with quote

Somewhere there's an interview with "Heavy Rain" creator David Cage where he states that his dream was to have the game disc self-destruct after your playthrough (but he knew he could never get away with that, obviously). He wanted the game to be as close to a literally-unique experience as possible.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:23 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Floydian Trip wrote:
That Destructoid has an interesting editorial on Heavy Rain and how it proves Ebert right.

I'm not interested in this at all. If I want to watch a movie I'll watch a movie. When I want to play a game I want to actually play a game. If I wanted to have control over a movie I'd go direct one. I hated Metal Gear. Mass Efect 2 has great cutscenes while still allowing you to play a game.

Not saying it shouldn't be the greatest thing since sliced bread to some people but it's definitely not for me.

Did you actually play it?
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:52 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
That Destructoid has an interesting editorial on Heavy Rain and how it proves Ebert right.

I'm not interested in this at all. If I want to watch a movie I'll watch a movie. When I want to play a game I want to actually play a game. If I wanted to have control over a movie I'd go direct one. I hated Metal Gear. Mass Efect 2 has great cutscenes while still allowing you to play a game.

Not saying it shouldn't be the greatest thing since sliced bread to some people but it's definitely not for me.

Why would I? People can love it, that's fine. Some people love motion controls. I play games for a specific reason and feeling. I don't want them to aspire to be anything but videogames. I'm not looking for something profound from them. I believe videogames have always been an artform and mostly disagree with Ebert myself although he does make a couple of valid points. So why would I even comment in here? Because it's interesting. What people are getting out of this game is interesting though the game itself doesn't interest me at all.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:32 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Floydian Trip wrote:
Mr. Dark wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

Why would I? People can love it, that's fine. Some people love motion controls. I play games for a specific reason and feeling. I don't want them to aspire to be anything but videogames. I'm not looking for something profound from them. I believe videogames have always been an artform and mostly disagree with Ebert myself although he does make a couple of valid points. So why would I even comment in here? Because it's interesting. What people are getting out of this game is interesting though the game itself doesn't interest me at all.

In this case, if you haven't played it, you really have no idea what you're talking about. It's an entirely new concept, so you literally can't knock it till you try it.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:38 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't knocked the game. I just said I'm not interested in it in the same way I'm not interested in motion controls or 3D gaming which is the next big thing that's gonna happen. I don't think videogames need to evolve when its taken this long just to perfect the most fundamental mechanics. At this point it's kind of putting the cart before the horse but that's just me. Also the story or plot don't seem very exciting to me and that really is a must to even think about getting into it isn't it? Besides I thought Adama brushed his teeth too much in Battlestar Galactica.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:20 pm  Reply with quote

Just got my first platinum trophy ever on the PS3 with this game. Fuck. Yeah.

Well worth the numerous playthroughs to see all of the different ways scenariors could play out, characters could die, and which endings there were.