FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Woody Allen's Match Point
Miss Wormwood
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:23 am  Reply with quote

I really, really liked this. I'm not gonna say anything about it except that I didn't see that ending coming, and that's always a nice experience. With that big obvious scene of Chris Wilton reading Dostoevsky in the beginning my initial assumption was that this was some sort of homage to Russian lit. Not that I'd know. I don't read the sort of shit they shove down your throat in high school/college (with the exception of Shakespeare, and that's only because underneath all that fruity language he's actually fucking good). But then I read a review that compared it less to Dostoasdlfkjsadssky and more to Patricia Highsmith, the chick who came up with The Talented Mr. Ripley and that, my friends, is spot on. For reference, I fucking loved The Talented Mr. Ripley, and not just because it was a festival o' hotties (the male versions, anyway--I think they cast plain actresses Paltrow and Blanchett so as not to distract from the masculine beauty of Damon & Law).

Match Point is like Talented Mr. Ripley, the sequel. Only in this one...well, I don't want to give anything away, except in this one things are a lot less what they seem even than in The Talented Mr. Ripley. The ending slayed me, and the running theme of luck also really spoke to me. The line "People are often afraid to realize how much of an impact luck plays" was brilliant. People are afraid of that--there's such a focus on "rationality" in our culture that goes back to the dipshits of the Englightenment. Yes, I say dipshits because they focused so much on reality being only what you can see and measure and quantify. Which is all well and good but completely denies the unexplainable aspects of life. Like luck. Sure, mathemeticians would say luck is a matter solely of coincidence, but mathemticains never get laid so they have no real experience with getting lucky and therefore, why would you trust them?

I'm so fucking drunk. The whole gist of this is that Match Point was an awesome movie and I loved it. I hope you will watch it too and love it and post here, so I haven't made an utter fool out of myself. Thanks and have a lovely day.
Terminal
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:48 am  Reply with quote

I really disliked this. I was disappointed.

"Match Point" is basically a rehashed version of the dramatic portion of "Crimes and Misdemeanors" a la "The OC" set in the UK. This is his most vapid, empty, and pointless exercises by my opinion.

Allen is usually about human characters, great dialogue, and down to earth plots, and this was plastic supermodels playing one-dimensional characters, with vapid dialogue, and a recycled plot. Worst of all Johannsen's performance was terrible.

One of his more underwhelming efforts since Hollywood Ending. Sometimes a change of pace isn't a good thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address