FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> The 82nd Academy Awards - The Nominees Have Been Announced
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 1702

Emy wrote:
Terminal wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/03/hurt.locker.lawsuit/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

More Hurt Locker controversy.


Rolling Eyes


I say to this: Whatever!

And have this "rebutal" to offer: Avatar, stealing ideas?

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a206779/chinese-writer-plans-avatar-lawsuit.html


Avatar using ideas from previous works? SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!! Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:22 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Meh.

http://www.visualeffectssociety.com/

The Visual Effects Society awards will be aired tonight at 10p Eastern where James Cameron was given a Lifetime Achievement Award.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:25 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 1702

Floydian Trip wrote:
Meh.

http://www.visualeffectssociety.com/

The Visual Effects Society awards will be aired tonight at 10p Eastern where James Cameron was given a Lifetime Achievement Award.


deservedly so.

Avatar is such a weird movie, because I've listened to reviews of people who hated it, and haven't disagreed with a single thing they've said, but still enjoyed the hell out of the movie. I guess it all just depends on how much you value the visual style and the experience itself over the plot and characters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:38 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
Meh.

http://www.visualeffectssociety.com/

The Visual Effects Society awards will be aired tonight at 10p Eastern where James Cameron was given a Lifetime Achievement Award.


deservedly so.

Avatar is such a weird movie, because I've listened to reviews of people who hated it, and haven't disagreed with a single thing they've said, but still enjoyed the hell out of the movie. I guess it all just depends on how much you value the visual style and the experience itself over the plot and characters.


For the most part I think that people who concern themselves so much with plot and characters in a James Cameron movie are idiots and have obviously never seen a James Cameron movie before but I never want him to make a movie based off of someone elses screenplay. I admire writer/director's more than anybody.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:56 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

The funny thing about the Lifetime Achievement Award is that they're gonna have to give him another one when he finally stops. I caught a bit of an interview with him afterwards and he said it should be a LIfetime Achievement So Far Award because he has no intention of slowing down and one thing is a given Cameron above everyone else in film today will continue to do things that have never been done before like he has his entire career so far.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Terminal
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:16 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 8052
Location: Bronx, New York

Floydian Trip wrote:
For the most part I think that people who concern themselves so much with plot and characters in a James Cameron movie are idiots and have obviously never seen a James Cameron movie before but I never want him to make a movie based off of someone elses screenplay. I admire writer/director's more than anybody.


Careful kid, I know you fancy yourself the expert on all things Cameron, but I think the idiot is the person who went in to Avatar and left accepting that the story and characters sucked. People like you are the reason why Transformers 2 and Paul Anderson films in general do well in the box office, because brainless drones walk in to a movie wanting nothing but style and flash and never ask for anything more, then those morons go on message boards complaining about the state of movies today. It's disgusting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:31 am  Reply with quote



Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 1702

Terminal wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
For the most part I think that people who concern themselves so much with plot and characters in a James Cameron movie are idiots and have obviously never seen a James Cameron movie before but I never want him to make a movie based off of someone elses screenplay. I admire writer/director's more than anybody.


Careful kid, I know you fancy yourself the expert on all things Cameron, but I think the idiot is the person who went in to Avatar and left accepting that the story and characters sucked. People like you are the reason why Transformers 2 and Paul Anderson films in general do well in the box office, because brainless drones walk in to a movie wanting nothing but style and flash and never ask for anything more, then those morons go on message boards complaining about the state of movies today. It's disgusting.


I wouldn't call either group of people morons.

Is it understandable to not like Avatar because the story is shallow and predictable? Absolutely.

Is it understandable to go and enjoy it for what it is? Absolutely.


And comparing Avatar to Transformers 2 is an unfair comparison. Yes, they are both big blockbusters with a lot of special effects, little character development, and shallow scripts, but Avatar is executed much better. Cameron is a MUCH better director than Bay. I cared when the tree came down, but I didn't give a shit when half of those robots died.

It's like comparing Halloween to Driller Killer. Yeah, they're similar movies, but in execution alone, one is far superior.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Buz
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:38 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 3590
Location: Cow Palace.

Floydian Trip wrote:
nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
Meh.

http://www.visualeffectssociety.com/

The Visual Effects Society awards will be aired tonight at 10p Eastern where James Cameron was given a Lifetime Achievement Award.


deservedly so.

Avatar is such a weird movie, because I've listened to reviews of people who hated it, and haven't disagreed with a single thing they've said, but still enjoyed the hell out of the movie. I guess it all just depends on how much you value the visual style and the experience itself over the plot and characters.


For the most part I think that people who concern themselves so much with plot and characters in a James Cameron movie are idiots and have obviously never seen a James Cameron movie before but I never want him to make a movie based off of someone elses screenplay. I admire writer/director's more than anybody.


Really dude?

People who concern themselves so much with plot and characters in a James Cameron movie are idiots? Plot I won't argue, only because that's completely subjective.

But the fact stands that Cameron is responsible for some of the most iconic characters in film history.

Just to name a few:

Hicks
Jack and Rose (Yes, they are iconic. i don't like the movie all that much, but you say Jack and Rose in the same breath and everyone knows who you're talking about.)
Sarah Connor
John Connor
The Terminator himself.

And shit, not for nothing, but I'd give him more credit for making Ripley an icon over Ridley Scott. She did get nominated for an Oscar for her performance in Aliens.

In other words Floyd, anyone going into a Cameron movie can ABSOLUTELY expect to see great character work and a fun and entertaining plot. It does not in any way make someone a moron. To say so is falling victim to an extreme fallacy. Slippery slope my friend. Wink

I've stayed out of this conversation for the most part because I don't care enough, but here's my thoughts just because I've already started typing.

I dug the hell out of Avatar. What a wonderful movie experience. Felt like a kid again watching Jurassic Park for the first time.

That being said, Jurassic Park is one of my all time favorite films. Love every moment of that movie. There isn't a single thing that I personally have a problem with. Not saying it's perfect, just saying it's perfect for me. But did it deserve the best picture in '93? Fuck no. It rightfully went to the much more quiet and thought provoking Schindler's List, a film that not only told an amazingly complex and important story, but also achieved aces in acting, editing, sound design, score, cinematography, the works.

But what's the difference here?

I'll probably only watch Shindler's List once every ten years. Jurassic Park I'll watch daily if I have the occasion.

Floyd, I hope that helps you understand where some people are coming from when they feel Avatar is undeserved of the Best Picture gold (though certainly deserves a best visual effects award).

And to the others, i hope you can understand why someone like Floyd loves Avatar as much as he does.

It's an incredibly fun time, and an awesome theatre going experience; and it brings out a kiddish joy that is lost as you get older. Not everyone is going to get that kind of joy out of it though. Some people can derive that kind of joy out of Star Wars (or for me Jurassic Park) or other fantasy films that are truly escapism and just a good time.

Not every movie can be as good as Aliens unfortunately. Laughing

I guess I get the love, and I get the hate. To each their own. In the end though, whether you absolutely loved it, or hated it, Avatar shouldn't get a best picture oscar. Yes it pushed technology forward in a new way for filmmakers to follow in it's footsteps, but as a societal achievement, I think it just won't carry on like that. Doesn't mean I won't watch it again and enjoy it just as much as I did before.

Last but not least, and this will probably void my entire long winded post, I have not seen any of the other major contenders except for District 9 and a few others. Go me. Razz
_________________
Insert that one line from that one movie from that one actor here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:11 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

I'm being harsh but if Avatar had been directed by anyone else there wouldn't be such a backlash.

I will say this though, which should be obvious to the 2 people that pay attention to my posts, I love sci-fi, war films and westerns along with horror equally. One doesn't stand out from the others to me as a favorite. I am a geek. So I like to see geeky movies win. I loved the Return of the King sweep. Avatar is a great sci-fi movie and is deserving of winning every award it's nominated for. The Hurt Locker is a great war film and is deserving of winning every award it's nominated for. Inglorious Bastards is a great war film, though not in the purest sense, and is deserving of winning every award it's nominated for. Seeing any combination of those three movies winning all the awards will put a smile on my face. It is the year of the geek, imo. I've seen a couple of the other nominated films and they were nothing to write home about.

All I can say is I loved Avatar the first time I watched it and have been compelled to return to the theatre twice more to see it again and still would like to go one more time.

I loved The Hurt Locker and Inglorious Bastards the first time I watched them but just haven't felt like watching them again.

Whatever, I'm confident that the three movies I enjoyed most last year are gonna kick ass.

I'd be pretty geeked if a horror film were nominated for Best Picture and actually deserved it but we all know that's never gonna happen again.

EDIT

I also want to be watching when Jeff Bridges wins his first Oscar. I haven't seen the movie but it's about time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:35 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 1702

Floydian Trip wrote:
I also want to be watching when Jeff Bridges wins his first Oscar. I haven't seen the movie but it's about time.


Damn right
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:31 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

nonserviam03 wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
I also want to be watching when Jeff Bridges wins his first Oscar. I haven't seen the movie but it's about time.


Damn right


He got robbed in '76. Network, Rocky and Taxi Driver are nothing compared to the greatness and sheer size of King Kong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:06 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Looking back in Academy Award history at the War, Sci-fi, Western and Horror genre nominations and wins for Best Picture War Films have done the best followed by Westerns with 3 wins, Horror with 1 (Silence of the Lambs) and Sci-fi with only 3 nominations and 0 wins, make that 5 nominations with this year. They love Dramas.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:37 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 9513
Location: There... WOLF!!

Floydian Trip wrote:
Network, Rocky and Taxi Driver are nothing compared to the greatness and sheer size of King Kong.


No offense, dude, but ... that has to be the dumbest fucking statement I've heard/read all week.

Kong '76? Better than Network? Or Taxi Driver? For god's sake, man, get your head out of ass! The lack of oxygen is killing your brain!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:48 pm  Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 6478

Dr Malachi Constant wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:
Network, Rocky and Taxi Driver are nothing compared to the greatness and sheer size of King Kong.


No offense, dude, but ... that has to be the dumbest fucking statement I've heard/read all week.

Kong '76? Better than Network? Or Taxi Driver? For god's sake, man, get your head out of ass! The lack of oxygen is killing your brain!


Obviously you didn't get the sarcasm. Although I do watch the '76 Kong more than the others. SInce I remember seeing it in theatres so well and it was my first experience with King Kong I look at it fondly. Jessica Lange was one of my first boners.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:22 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title


Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Posts: 9513
Location: There... WOLF!!

Hey, you know what they say about sarcasm and the internet ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 6 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Dread Central Forum Index -> Out of Genre Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum