FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> Heavy Rain - PS3
MethRattle
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:27 am  Reply with quote

There's going to be no gray area with this game. If you enjoyed the drama and interactive cutsenes in "Metal Gear Solid IV" then you'll like the game, if you hated them then you won't. So far I'm digging it. The plot unfolds like a good cop thriller, switching character perspectives at just the right times. The gameplay is similar to "Indigo Prophecy" only more refined and polished, with large visible prompts that allow you to watch the on-screen action while you're keeping track of what button is next. The graphics are high-quality, and the animation, movement, expressions...best motion capture I've seen in a game since "Heavenly Sword". The character models behave like humans. There is some nudity and an R-rated sex scene, which gives the game a more adult feel than mere profanity does nowadays. The big surprise for me is the emotional aspects. The game does its best to make you care about its characters, and succeeds brilliantly in several cases. A promising start to my first 7-8 hours.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

Went to Blockbuster to rent it and they're not getting it until Friday. I was stoked to play this too. Oh well, I've wait over 2 years. A couple of more days won't hurt.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

Just started playing this last night. From the moment they have you actually fold an origami piece during the loading screens I had a feeling this would deliver and so far I'm very impressed!

The control scheme, while unorthodox, is very easy to maneuver once you get used to it. The scene in the mall was incredibly well-done and actually got my heartbeat racing. Can't wait to get home and continue it tonight!
MethRattle
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:47 pm  Reply with quote

Finished after 11 hours total non-repeating play time - no going back to a previous checkpoint if you die or screw up, you just continue on with the remaining characters or start following a new plotline where you live with your mistake (such as the innocent witness I mistakenly shot). I love the anxiety the game causes when your son gets lost in a crowd at the mall, or the happy thrill you get as you bond with him at a park. The action/fight scenes are great fun, almost music-game in the way you fall into a certain rhythm during them. Great story, too, with emotions and shocks I really didn't expect. My one fault with the game (as with most games now) is in the presumtion of HDTV status, which caused one of my characters to die right at the end because I couldn't see the prompt which was off-screen on my standard-def TV (I had a little trouble seeing some of the prompts when they were small from distance, as well). Overall, though, I got everything I wanted and more from "Heavy Rain". Well worth my $60.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:40 am  Reply with quote

Beat it in a short time but it was pretty amazing overall. My few complaints are 2 major plot holes, and the FBI agent was one of the lamest characters I've ever had the displeasure of controlling in a video game (if he didn't have his AWESOME ARI glasses he would have been worthless) but I was compelled from start to finish.

I've been going backwards trying to get trophies and only took a break today after about 15 or so hours of playing it straight. Best part? Driving through head-on traffic on the highway.

I wish more games were like this.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:24 am  Reply with quote

DC "Heavy Rain" review

Excellent review by Mr. Dark. He gave it the proper score, too.

Heavy Rain Sells 500,000 Units in Week One

Heavy Rain debuts at No 1 in UK chart, experiencing shortages

500,000 copies in its first week is amazing for a game of its type. Good news for both Quantic Dream (who needs to keep making games) and gaming in general - maybe there's hope for modern gamers after all.
mdamien13
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:26 pm  Reply with quote

I might not always agree with Mr. Dark (although I do agree with most of his reviews) but I completely agree with giving this a 5 out of 5. No game in recent memory has given me as many emotional reactions to situations in a game as Heavy Rain did. The review highlights these perfectly!

Very glad to see that it's been doing so well, also! Hopefully other game companies see this success and understand that modern gamers are ready for new experiments with gameplay and mature storytelling!

I beat this over the weekend and I'm very glad I did so before the PSN outage because I would have been livid if I had to wait during that third act of the game... I'm looking forward to replaying this a few times and getting the Platinum trophy to see all of the endings and all possible story branches.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:48 am  Reply with quote

Wow, just wow! Heavy Rain was fucking awesome! Never have QTES made me so nervous. This game puts you against the ropes and never stops hammering away at you. Unfortunately, I got everyone but my boy and the asshole cop killed.

I'm glad this game is doing very well in sales, it deserves it. Along with Uncharted 2 and GOW III, people now have a damn good reason to buy a PS3.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

Got my first Platinum trophy a little while ago by finishing this game 100% after around 4-5 playthroughs. Proud of myself.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

That Destructoid has an interesting editorial on Heavy Rain and how it proves Ebert right.

I'm not interested in this at all. If I want to watch a movie I'll watch a movie. When I want to play a game I want to actually play a game. If I wanted to have control over a movie I'd go direct one. I hated Metal Gear. Mass Efect 2 has great cutscenes while still allowing you to play a game.

Not saying it shouldn't be the greatest thing since sliced bread to some people but it's definitely not for me.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:28 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
That Destructoid has an interesting editorial on Heavy Rain and how it proves Ebert right.

I'm not interested in this at all. If I want to watch a movie I'll watch a movie. When I want to play a game I want to actually play a game. If I wanted to have control over a movie I'd go direct one. I hated Metal Gear. Mass Efect 2 has great cutscenes while still allowing you to play a game.

Not saying it shouldn't be the greatest thing since sliced bread to some people but it's definitely not for me.

This game isn't like Metal Gear's cutscenes at all. Yes, this game isn't for everyone and you clearly fall into that category. However, this is a game, just not a typical game and it's one that every gamer should at least try.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:43 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Floydian Trip wrote:

This game isn't like Metal Gear's cutscenes at all. Yes, this game isn't for everyone and you clearly fall into that category. However, this is a game, just not a typical game and it's one that every gamer should at least try.

I have Deadly Premonition to play and after that if I can manage it I'd like to get into Dante's Inferno and GoW III comes out soon.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:59 pm  Reply with quote

See, now God of War and DI are boring as hell to me. Hack and slash in general does absolutely nothing for me as a genre.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:04 am  Reply with quote

See, now God of War and DI are boring as hell to me. Hack and slash in general does absolutely nothing for me as a genre.

I kind of feel the same way but those worlds are awesome. I mostly want to play them for the art. I generally hate QTE's.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:41 am  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:

I kind of feel the same way but those worlds are awesome. I mostly want to play them for the art. I generally hate QTE's.

That's what I love about Heavy Rain. There is no "fail". The game continues even if you screw up.