FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Where The Wild Things Are
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

Couldn't find a previous thread for this and figure it's worth more than just a mention.

I loved Where The Wild Things Are as a kid. So simple and short in story but so emotive and the drawings are phenominal. How were they going to turn this into a 2 hour movie without losing the tone was what I was wondering. After seeing stills of the Wild Things I just got a sense that they were gonna make it too cute and cudlly and had lost hope.

After watching it last night I was so happy to find that I was so wrong. It really is a more adult movie and retained all the darkness of the story that drew me to it so much. It really seemed to me that they made this film specifically for the adults who loved this story so much as kids. I wouldn't say children now are gonna fall in love with it when I'm pretty sure they'd much rather watch something like Monsters Inc.

Excellent movie and something that any horror fan would no doubt enjoy. I gaurantee it.
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:40 am  Reply with quote

I was incredibly disappointed by this movie. Yes, it was more adult than I thought it was going to be, which was a good thing, but it had serious pacing issues, was way too angsty, the metaphors were really obvious and cliche, and his backstory with his family was shallow, predictable, and tacked on.

The visuals were nice, though. That's about it.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't see the big deal with Where the Wild Things Are. It had some good moments and the climax is sad, but overall I found it to be pretty grating, kind of boring, and I found little to sympathize with the main character. I like that the monsters were actually there and not CGI, but otherwise, I could take it or leave it. It failed to make my top 10 of 2009.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CryptWalker
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
I didn't see the big deal with Where the Wild Things Are. It had some good moments and the climax is sad, but overall I found it to be pretty grating, kind of boring, and I found little to sympathize with the main character. I like that the monsters were actually there and not CGI, but otherwise, I could take it or leave it. It failed to make my top 10 of 2009.

I felt the same way. Mediocre, but glad the monsters were there and not all CGI. Made it more believable.

"We have such sights to show you."
-Hellraiser