FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> Favorite Comedian
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

Terminal wrote:
In all fairness FT said Comedian not Stand Up Comedian.

Yeah, There's all kinds of lines that can be drawn though. I do agree there's a difference between an actor and a stand-up comedian but then typically they become both. Even Larry the Cable Guy. WHo I do think is funny and is a good guy and good story.

I also think there's a difference between Vaudeville and stand-up as we know it today and theatrically trained vs. just guys who get on stage and are funny.
Terminal
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

Vaudevillians were essentially the stand up comedians of their time, except they followed it up with music and dancing. They had much more talent than modern stand up comedians ever did.

Give me Abbot and Costello over Dane Cook any day.

And I can't get behind anyone who endorses Larry the fucking Cable Guy. That's not comedy. That's a painfully unfunny stereotype.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:31 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Wow, not a whole lot of love for the ladies huh? Laughing Although to be fair, there does seem to be about a thousand more male comedians than female ones.

But still...

Lily Tomlin
Rita Rudner
Ellen DeGeneres (never watched her show, but her stand-up, especially older stuff is good)
Elvira Kurt
Amanda Bearse (not sure I spelled her name right, Marcy from Married w/ Children)
Paula Poundstone
Kathy Griffin
Margaret Cho
Roseanne Barr (not too hot on her latest stand up, but pre-Roseanne she had at least one special that was hilarious)
Garfunkel & Oates (not stand up but funny as hell)

Someone already mentioned Janeane Garofalo. There's a few more than just flew out of my head when I went to write them down.

As for the boys, most of my favs have already been mentioned:

Steven Wright
Bill Hicks
George Carlin
Lewis Black
Robin Williams
Eddie Izzard
Dana Carvey
Eddie Murphy
Kevin James

Again, there's a few more I know I'm not thinking of because I'm trying to... but these guys are ones that make me laugh until it hurts.

*edit* Apparently I like Eddie Izzard so much I put him down twice.

"Death, without dread of death, is welcome death." - Seneca
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:48 am  Reply with quote

I didn't list any because most female comedians are terrible. Looking at your list reminded me of that.

Morgan Elektra wrote:

But still...

Lily Tomlin
Rita Rudner
Ellen DeGeneres (never watched her show, but her stand-up, especially older stuff is good)
Elvira Kurt
Amanda Bearse (not sure I spelled her name right, Marcy from Married w/ Children)
Paula Poundstone
Kathy Griffin
Margaret Cho
Roseanne Barr (not too hot on her latest stand up, but pre-Roseanne she had at least one special that was hilarious)

I mean Tomlin and Rudner? Yuck. DeGeneres's comedy is so safe and preachy. Griffin is one of the most obnoxious people on the planet including Roseanne, and Margaret Cho's entire bit revolves around her being Asian. Thanks for not listing Sarah Silverman, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:58 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I can't stand Sarah Silverman. It's a bone of contention between my husband and I. He's got a crush.

I can see you saying 'safe' for DeGeneres, but PREACHY? C'mon. That's ridiculous. Her stuff has never been preachy. What, exactly, is she preaching?

Griffin's old stand up was beyond obnoxious and I can't stand it, but her newer stuff, the self-deprecation and the star-skewering stuff, is pretty funny.

And without a doubt, Roseanne and Margaret Cho are not for everyone. And I can MAYBE see putting Rudner in the 'safe' camp with DeGeneres, but I just don't get not liking Lily Tomlin. My brain won't process that.

Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:11 am  Reply with quote

Morgan Elektra wrote:
I can't stand Sarah Silverman. It's a bone of contention between my husband and I. He's got a crush.

I USED to have a crush on her too. Then I realized she's annoying and pretty damn corny. I sat through her movie "Jesus is Magic" and I wanted to hunt her down. Her comedy consists of two things, one being as shocking as possible, and two being as vulgar as possible. Ooh I used to pee myself until I was fifteen, I got raped! Isn't that funny?!

Morgan Elektra wrote:
I can see you saying 'safe' for DeGeneres, but PREACHY? C'mon. That's ridiculous. Her stuff has never been preachy. What, exactly, is she preaching?

Lesbianism. Okay, she's a lesbian, I'm glad she's proud of it, but most of her comedy specials I've seen she spends about thirty minutes on pretty good material and suddenly starts going on and on about how it's good to be a lesbian. I applaud homosexuality. My best friend is gay. But I don't want it beaten over my head.

One of her specials transformed in to a Q&A where it was nothing but girls applauding her bravery and crying a lot. That's not comedy. That's daytime television. It was like her first sitcom. It was hilarious, but once she came out of the closet it became centered around her lesbianism.

It's like how now Stephen King's stories are almost always about a car accident, or how most of the main characters are authors. We get it, move on to something else.

Morgan Elektra wrote:
Griffin's old stand up was beyond obnoxious and I can't stand it, but her newer stuff, the self-deprecation and the star-skewering stuff, is pretty funny.

It all boils down to "agree to disagree" I guess. Her whole comedy is based around how she's not even a celebrity, etc. I had to sit through her stand up and reality show and it's awful.

Morgan Elektra wrote:
And without a doubt, Roseanne and Margaret Cho are not for everyone. And I can MAYBE see putting Rudner in the 'safe' camp with DeGeneres, but I just don't get not liking Lily Tomlin. My brain won't process that.

Well sadly that's the truth. Margaret Cho CAN be funny on occasion, I'll admit to that. But the whole thing in her shows is "Look I'm Asian! I come from an Asian family! People stereotype me! I'm stereotyping myself but that's okay because I'm ASIAN!"

Granted, she lost a lot of weight and looks pretty hot, but dayum girl, give it a rest.
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:43 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Oh well, granted I haven't seen any but one new Ellen DeGeneres specials since she doesn't do them much anymore. So most of the ones of her I've seen were done before she was out of the closet.

YouGetNoArt4freeFanBoys
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:14 am  Reply with quote

MAE WEST!

exploitation PLUS hilarity AND she came up with most of her own lines!

and she only exploited HERSELF!

BOW TO MAE, BITCHES!
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:33 am  Reply with quote

You gotta love Gilda Radner
MethRattle
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:12 am  Reply with quote

You are correct, Morgan, shame on me for not listing so many great female comics. Janeane Garofalo (hawt), Ellen DeGeneres (though her earlier crack-me-up comedy did take a back seat once she came out of the closet), Kathy Griffin, Margaret Cho, and Maria Bamford who is so obtuse that she often catches me off-guard ("Old MacDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O! And on this farm he had a pterodactyl, E-I-E-I-O! With a SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH...").

Also Eddie Izzard. A British cross-dresser who does political humor? How could you go wrong?
MethRattle
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:15 am  Reply with quote

I also like Sarah Silverman. She's no more or less obscene and fearless than any male comic. Her comedy makes me uncomfortable while still cracking me up. That's a sign of something special.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:17 am  Reply with quote

I watched the most recent special Ellen did and she was pretty damn hysterical.
YouGetNoArt4freeFanBoys
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:48 am  Reply with quote

the only crap thing Silverman ever did was "take it" from that hack-ass Kimmel.
Morgan Elektra
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:22 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Floydian Trip wrote:
You gotta love Gilda Radner

Ach!! How could I forget Gilda!

And Meth, I wouldn't list Izzard with the ladies, mostly because he's a heterosexual male. He does look pretty hot in lady clothes though. Drool

WickedBanshee
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:13 pm  Reply with quote

The love master, Craig Shoemaker.