FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Night of the Living Newbie -> New Girl
Permafrost
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

Chele Hell wrote:
I'd really like to get into some horror classics. Even if they're cheesy. Where's a good place to start.. say something pre-70's?

I've quite enjoyed "Island Of Terror" with Peter Cushing. That's 1966, very decent creepy creature feature.

Into the '70's, I always throw out Black Christmas and Rituals. Dig in!
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

Permafrost wrote:
Chele Hell wrote:
I'd really like to get into some horror classics. Even if they're cheesy. Where's a good place to start.. say something pre-70's?

I've quite enjoyed "Island Of Terror" with Peter Cushing. That's 1966, very decent creepy creature feature.

Into the '70's, I always throw out Black Christmas and Rituals. Dig in!

Only about 60 years worth of films to choose from.....

I used to assume that pretty much everyone has seen the classic classics (Karloff Frankenstein, Lugosi Dracula...etc) but I really don't think that's the case anymore. I don't know that any film is 'essential' but they are cornerstones.

If you're actually looking for chessy stuff I would suggest the MST3K collections. The dvds used to give you the option to watch the original film without the guys, I don't know if they do that anymore though.
Chele Hell
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:34 pm  Reply with quote

Oh don't get me wrong. I used to watch some when I was a lil girl with my Granny. But I don't know which they were at this point. I just remember loving them and that's how I got into it basically.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

I know you said pre-70's but in case you haven't checked out the thread and seeing as how you're a zombie fan I gotta say watch Shock Waves if you haven't seen it.
Chele Hell
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

Oooh ok! Will do.
Permafrost
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:27 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
I know you said pre-70's but in case you haven't checked out the thread and seeing as how you're a zombie fan I gotta say watch Shock Waves if you haven't seen it.

Yeah, solid call there, Floyd. I would personally watch Shock Waves before checking out Dead Snow. Nothing wrong with it, but Shock Waves just owns when it comes to evil atmosphere.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:45 pm  Reply with quote

Speaking of Vegas....

(CNN) -- You can already gamble at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas, Nevada, and soon you may be able to buy a bottle of wine, or something stronger, as you're waiting to pick up your luggage after a flight.

Commissioners in Clark County, which owns the airport, on Tuesday moved one step closer toward approving a liquor store at the airport's south baggage claim area by voting to seek out applications from parties interested in running such a facility.

The store would sell beer, wine and spirits "for off-site consumption only," according to the proposal.

Many of the country's airports already have bars, but if approved, this would be the only liquor store operating inside a U.S. airport, said Randall Walker, the county's director of aviation.

Outside the United States, many airports do have stores where passengers can buy duty-free items, including liquor, upon arrival, he added.

"We're struggling just like everybody else with our revenues," Walker said, calling the liquor store a potential new source of money.

He estimated it could bring in $400,000 to $600,000 annually for the airport.

Many of the commissioners were impressed. Chris Giunchigliani called it a "unique idea," and Tom Collins also gave it a thumbs up.

"We're different, and it's about tourism, and it's about making money, and it's about getting our economy turned around," Collins said.

But Commissioner Steve Sisolak said he wanted to have more input from the community on the issue, citing the frequent presence of children and families in baggage claim.

"I personally don't know if it's appropriate," Sisolak added.

Open containers are legal in the Las Vegas airport today, Walker said. Bars and restaurants don't encourage customers to leave their premises with alcoholic drinks but people won't get arrested if they do, Walker said.

"We don't want to have rowdy, unruly passengers at the airport, obviously that's not good for anybody," Walker said.

Any problems would be dealt with by the airport's team of police officers, he added.

The airport has a cigar store in the arrivals area, but has had no problems with people violating its no-smoking policy, Walker said.

Visitors already know the Sin City facility is unique.

McCarran is one of only two airports in the country to have slot machines -- the other is in Reno, Nevada.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:49 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
...called it a "unique idea," and Tom Collins also gave it a thumbs up.

LOL
Chele Hell
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:11 pm  Reply with quote

I'm surprised they don't already have one in there. I'm still mega shocked they took out the smoking rooms.
Permafrost
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:02 am  Reply with quote

I say bring it on. Seems weird to not have something like that already.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:04 am  Reply with quote

I find the part about "for off-site consumption only" funny in alot of ways.
YouGetNoArt4freeFanBoys
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:34 am  Reply with quote

Curse of Frankenstein
I Married a Monster from Outer Space
any of the Quatermass movies
Bride of Frankenstein
The Haunting
Eyes Without a Face
(Japanese version of ) Gojiro (first film)
Lon Chaney SR. version of Phantom of the Opera
It! The Terror From Beyond Space

(and at least 100 more, but the short list above is a hefty DVD budget, so we begin there...)
MethRattle
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:26 am  Reply with quote

As far as recommended films go, if you haven't seen the 1970's originals then "Texas Chainsaw Massacre", "The Hills Have Eyes", "Last House On The Left", "The Omen", "The Fog", "The Wicker Man", and also "The Exorcist", "Count Yorga, Vampire", "The Sentinel", "Asylum", "The Changeling", The Dr. Phibes movies, "The Car", "Let's Scare Jessica To Death", "Martin", "Black Christmas", "The Other", "Psychomania", "Legend Of Hell House", "I Drink Your Blood", and foreign horror like "Requiem For A Vampire", "The House With Laughing Windows", "Let Sleeping Corpses Lie", The Blind Dead series (zombies!...kinda), "Who Can Kill A Child?", and "Vampyrs".

The 60's have Hitchcock's original "Psycho" (#1 priority), "Blood Feast", "Burn Witch Burn", "Rosemary's Baby", "The Haunting" (1963), "Dracula, Prince Of Darkness", "The Devil Rides Out", "Black Sunday", "Mr. Sardonicus", Coffin Joe's "At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul", "Repulsion", "Peeping Tom", and "Carnival Of Souls".

Out of room, so "Curse Of The Demon"(1957).
YouGetNoArt4freeFanBoys
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:49 am  Reply with quote

thank god I waited for Meth to do my typing for me...

also (buckle up for Old School):

Dr. X
Mystery of the Wax Museum
Beast With 5 Fingers
It Came From Beneath the Sea
Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
Scream and Scream Again
Die, Monster, Die!
How To Make a Monster (1950's version)
The Devil's Rain

(and Meth will give you more...)
Chele Hell
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:35 pm  Reply with quote

Ok I have seen quite a few of those, and even own some. So I guess I'm on the right track =P